Unusual pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks. 

Here's an odd one.  About 8 weeks ago, I developed a pain in my left pectoral muscle at the point where it joins the deltoid of the upper arm - literally, the 'wall' that forms the front of the armpit.  I went to my GP, who told me it was clearly a soft-tissue injury of some sort and that it would soon heal.  I told her I had done nothing to cause such an injury, such as lifting a heavy weight or doing press-ups - but it was certainly similar to the pain I felt a few years ago when I wrenched a pectoral after falling off the back of a tractor.  It's not severe, though, and doesn't inhibit arm movement in any way.

But... 8 weeks later, it's still there and it's not improving.  In fact, on some days it actually feel worse.  There's no swelling or hardness to the muscle, either.

I'm starting to think all sorts of things.  Angina?  Well... there's no history of it in my family, on top of which I'm very fit for my age (56).  I've been a runner for over 30 years, and still run with no loss of breath or discomfort.  I suggested to the doctor that maybe it was gastric-related, but she didn't think so - and I certainly have no other symptoms such as acid reflux, indigestion, passing blood, etc.  I eat very healthily and always have, and I'm the ideal weight for my height. 

The pain varies in intensity, and often feels like the kind of pain you get when you've bruised a rib... but it's in the wrong place.  If I take a deep breath and hold it, I can feel it.  It definitely feels muscular.  I can't think it can be anything else.

But shouldn't it be getting better by now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Harry,

That does sound unusual, is it possible you may have strained it while you were sleeping? I would try uninvasive means to see if they are of any help to start off, such as RICE. Maybe even try taking an acid reliever just to to see if it helps(mine will burn all the way up into my collar bone).If nothing is working I would suggest reapproaching your GP for followup. Hopefully they will come up with an answer sooner than later. 

All the best

• Posted

Thanks for your response, Penny.  I'm going to see my GP again today.  Acid reliever is a good idea.  I'll try that.  Thanks confused
  • Posted

Good luck @ your appt. I should of clarified RICE , meaning rest & ice. alternating with heat.I hope you find something helpful.
    • Posted

Thanks, Penny.  That's okay.  I know about RICE!  My doc's sending me for a scan.  He doesn't think heart or gastric, which is something! smile
  • Posted

Your welcome Harry,

I thought you probably knew. I hope everything works out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.