Unusual shaped eyes.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had symfony lenses implanted last week electively.. I am now a J1 (near sited) Doctor wants do the second eye with a smaller lenses strength. A 29 1/2 from the 30 he used because of the outcome of the first eye and that I have unusual shaped eyes.

He also wants the first eye to settle out for 3 months. If it is still too near sited, then he is suggesting laser treatment to get me to a J5. He also said he doesn't recommend changing the lense because it is a higher risk than the laser.

Not thinking I like all this messing around.

Comments?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

I have no idea what all those measurements you indicated about your lens mean, but I also had elective Symfony one week ago.  I am still near sighted in that eye as pre op.   I,thought I would have some improvement with my near vision, but so far just mid range improvement,  my distance was always great.

my next exam is tomorrow and I have many questions for my doc before I make any decisions about my second eye.

this is what my I.d, card reads

model zxr00

diopter +22.0D SE

13mm

6 mm

I wish you good luck with your procedures and please share any other insights you may experience.

• Posted

It is good that you have at least good vision J1 for reading.

However, to know your exact situation, it will be nice to know what your uncorrected distance vision is and what the lens prescription needs to be to get good distance vision.

Having a bad near vision (J5) should not be an end in itself. That may be acceptable as a compromise to be able to achieve excellent distance vision, but one can have bad near vision without having good distance vision. That is obviouly not good.

I agree with your doctor that a laser treatment, such as LASIK, is better than doing a lens replacement. I have had  LASIK enhancement done in both of my eyes after cataract surgery with good results.

Finally, when you have LASIK to modify the best  focus distance, it may not be the best to aim it for the best focus at distance. Instead, it may be better to aim it for the best focus at about 32 inches and let the other eye get best focus at far distance. That will give you a best chance of not having to wear glasses at for reading, intermediate or far distance.

• Posted

So my issue is, doctor wants to change the lense for the othet eye based on the bad outcome of the first lense. But we really don't know the full impact of the first lense is. And i cant imagine both eyes are the dame. So Why rush. It could mean more issues later and more fix ups .. The more potential long term problems.

Has anyone else experienced " unusual shaped eyes?

• Posted

My eyes have always been shaped unusual... football shaped, astigmatism.

My surgeon had to correct the astigmatism that wasn't totally corrected when inserting the first Symfony. Once he corrected, by entering the left and right side of the cornea, changing the shape, etc., I now have good vision... at 8" close, mid and far distance.

• Posted

Hi, do you have Symfony lens in both eyes?  It sounds like you have great vision at all levels without readers is that right?
    • Posted

ali09616,

1. The doctor wanting to learn from the results of the first lens to modify what he does for the second eye is a good idea. It does not matter if your eyes are unusually shaped. Everyone's eyes are slightly different, but the two eyes on the same person are closer to each other than those may be to an "average" eye. So, if the doctor can learn anything from the surgery on the first eye for the second eye, that is a good idea.

2. However, I would discourage strongly having the cataract surgery done for the second eye at least until you have had the 1-month checkup done to determine tthe goodness of the vision and the eye-prescription to be able to see best at distance for the first eye. The choice for the best target focus distance for the second eye can be determined only after one knows the capability of the first eye. The best target focus distance for the second eye may or may not be the far-distance, although that is done most of the times

3. If you are really lucky (and there ia is a good chance that you may be), you may not have to do anything to change the vision you are getting with the first eye. Your doctor may have inadvertently helped you achieve a better chance of getting good blended vision using both eyes, so that you don't need any glasses for any usual activities (that would probably not have been the case if you had achieved good distance vision with each of the eyes).

4. Even though your first eye is still settling, how well can you see at about 30 in, 40 in, and 60 in (your vision at the 16 in reading distance is obviously very good, having J1 capability)?

5. Also, I am just curious. Is your first eye the dominant or the non-dominant eye?

• Posted

Yes, my left eye was done early in February, my right eye in the third week of February if I remember correctly. My Surgeon did several laser treatments on my left eye for capsule removal, to clear some blur... and then about three weeks ago he decided to laser the cornea in my left eye removing the astigmatism so I would see 20/20, as I see with my right eye. He is a perfectionist and wasn't happy until he got both eyes 20/20. I can't complain, I love how it turned out.

• Posted

That is awesome, even though he had to do some lasik, the outcome is what matters.  Could you read without glasses with just the first lens close up?
    • Posted

I have never had any lasik, only laser, and I could see after the original insertions of the Symfony lens, but it was not as good in my left eye as it was in my right eye. My vision in my left eye was 20/30... and doctor wasn't satisfied, because there was a touch of astigmatism still. So with the capsul removal and cornea correction both eyes are 20/20 or slightly better on some days. I suppose it may be 6 months or so for a complete healing. I do know that I hardly ever think about my eyes now... except at night when I drive... the oncoming car lights are brighter and I have to look to the right side of the road more. I am retired and don't really have to drive much at night. It's really a good excuse for me to stay home or have the hubby drive 😉.

• Posted

Glad you have good experience with Symfony as that is what I am seriously considering. Did you have to pay extra for laser treatments? That is something I will want to ask at my next appointment.
    • Posted

Sharon are you have you went for the Symfony lenses despite night issues? I do drive at night (from work 4 months out of the year in Canada) but thinking that is the lesser of the compromise I will make trying to decide if I want a focus for near or far.
    • Posted

Hello

i have one symfony lens now, just 9'days now.  My doctor recommends a Multi folcal lens for my second eye, with emphasis on close up vision.  I want to lose the readers and that is his reasoning for doing one of each type of lens.

supposedly the Symfony lens has less halo issues than its predecessor. My husband has the Multi focal and he no longer is bothered by the night light issues.  We don't do much night or highway anyway so not a big negative for us.

• Posted

nancy528,

i will like to give my input to you, but it may be better for you to start a new post for people to respond to. I will prefer not to mix my answers to the original question asked in this post by ali09616 with my answers for you.

Thanks.

• Posted

Do you know which multifocal you'll opt for?

• Posted

I did not ask you a question so not sure what you mean.
    • Posted

When you ask a question on a post, one assumes that you are expecting everyone to respond. Any way, that is fine.
    • Posted

All,these responses are on topic and these threads can go many directions as  conversations progress.  I do not assume anything and when I ask a question, I direct it to the patient I.d. that it pertains to in the thread.  I certainly would not ask someone to leave the thread if the topic expanded to include other information.  
    • Posted

When I went for my very first visit... I was given a package quote of 5600.00 total for the Symfony lens. Since I have some insurance for cataract removal... not sure how that ended up, but seems like I had a 25.00 copay that I was responsible for, and the capsule removal was part of the cataract thing, not part of the Symfony Lens package... lots of paper work that I still don't understand rolleyes Anyway, I have not had to pay more for any of the additional laser surgeries that were done by my surgeon. I was given 6 months to pay the complete 5600.00. They send a bill once a month, and I have been able to meet and exceed my payment schedule. I have been more than happy with my care and their excellent commitment to my eye health.

• Posted

Do you live in USA? I find all the fee structures different depending where you live. I will add to my list of questions I am compiling to see if quote I have of $1800 covers anything more than the lens. If there are additional treatments needed I will want to know potential total cost.
    • Posted

I just finished paying for daughter's braces which were far more expensive. Consider eyes to be more valuable than straight teeth!

• Posted

Oh yes,  by far more important than straight teeth.  Teeth can be straightened, or not, they will still chew... cavities are another story... eyes can loose site if not corrected in a timely manner.  However,  credit is available for both on a monthly basis. Choose your surgeon & dentist wisely.  So both can be arranged,  I am paying on a 6 month agreement for my Symfony lens.  All is good,  and I still see my dentist.  No problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.