unwell and scared!! can anyone help?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was looking for some advice. I have been suffering from bleeding/mucas in very loose stools (I'm going to the loo about 6-10 a day - very urgently sometimes within a few hours of eating), gas/bloating/lack of appetite/cramps/low energy every day for about 5 weeks now. The only way I am finding I get any relief from these symptoms is to not eat - adding to the tiredness. I have been examined by a GP who could not find any hemmoroids/tears to explain the bleeding/clots (there is quite a lot/mid red colour) so referred me for blood tests (full blood count/kidney/liver function/imflammation). These came back last week as 'satisfsctory'. I am now waiting for a colonoscopy appointment. I'm scared as I've never had one before. I suppose I am asking 1. What should I expect at the colonoscopy and 2. In your experience are my symptoms anything like chrons/colitis or am I totally barking upthe wrong tree? All I know is that something is wrong and I'm not sure how best to help myself - other than not go too far from a toilet!! Plus im wprried as my blood tests have come back ok that the colonoscopy wont find anything either. Any advice gratefully received. I'm a woman aged 33. Thanks.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Melanie,

I was 54 when i had my first scope, only a sigmoidoscopy. Like you my bloods were not showing anything very much apart from a slightly raised inflammatory marker. I had the same symptoms as yourself but my GP did not seem overly concerned when he reffered me so it came as a bit of a shock to be diagnosed with Crohns after it. The colonoscopy won't be a pleasant experience but the biopsies are the best way to see what's going on in there and as you're facing the screen you can watch it all or shut your eyes. It is stange to be looking at a screen and know that it is a picture of your insides. Don't worry about the proceedure itself, the nurses are very good at looking after you and hopefully it will give you the answers you need

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.