Unwell on reduced dose for 6 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

I everyone

I was taking 10 mg for 10 years. Started weaning off and for the past six months have been on 5 mg. I've been getting all sorts of withdrawal symptoms, headaches and dizziness being the worst. Today I felt faint whilst out , headachy, light headed with a desperate urge to use the loo. Can this be withdrawal too. I've been taking chelated magnesium for four nights to help with sleep and anadin extra for headaches. Any thoughts please?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would say so sonia. Lois and katecogs are our withdrawal experts. To summarise, you need to taper veryyyyyy slowly or a veryyyyyy long period of time xx

• Posted

Thanks Lou it's so hard to believe how a small dose has such an effect.

• Posted

yeah......im in a similar situation.....messed with doses big style and now taking ages to stabilise. Im into week 9 on 20mg citralopram. Getting decent enough days and am grateful for that. Definitely dont up dose though. Just continue on 5mg till you stabilise....check with lois or kate aswell..... also just get checked at docs in case anything else going on hormone wise. We ladies have a LOT to deal with!! good luck, it will all work out x

• Posted

oh yes, toria knows her stuff aswell! how could I forget!! x you are doing great getting xmas prep sorted x

• Posted

Thanks Loy,

Yes, all ready now, tomorrow should be plain sailing, just hoping for a symptom free day.

• Posted

you most certainly are having withdrawls .may i ask why you want to wean??

• Posted

Thanks Lois, that's very reassuring. It's so difficult to believe how such a small dose has such a powerful affect on you.It's difficult to keep focus on why this is happening, my mind imagines all sorts of negative reasons for these symptoms.

I started weaning because I was getting gum infections frequently and taking antibiotics and painkillers but they seem to have an affect on citalopram and i seem to feel ill after taking them. I thought I'd reduce my citalopram dose slowly to see if it made a difference and I think it has but I wish I hadn't bothered. I tried going back up to 7.5 but the side effects even after one dose was bad. Any suggestions on the best way to go back to 10? This is so unbearable.

Thank you

• Posted

how fast did you go from 7.5 to five .how long did you stay on 7.5 ???

• Posted

I went from 10 to 7.5 and stayed there for around two months then I went to 5, that's where I've been for 6 months apart from going up to 7.5 for 1 day a couple of weeks ago and I think that made things worse f or me.

I don't know if I should ride it out and wait to settle on 5 or go back to 10 and expect side effects all over again.

Thank you

• Posted

If you're truly wanting to taper off, I'd stick at 5 and settle at that dosage until you feel better. Then taper further

• Posted

Thanks Dubry. I'll stay on 5 and see what I'm like after the Christmas period. These withdrawal affects are causing anxiety and knocking my confidence. If I can settle on five I think I'll stick with it. So many weird symptoms, it's scarey.

Have a good Christmas!

• Posted

if you reinstate now there is a chance it wont work so be really careful! i updosed slightly on doctors advice and couldnt settle, the symptoms you describe are completely normal!

• Posted

Thanks Toria. I seem to need constant reassurance that it's withdrawal causing these symptoms. I've got anxiety because I've got heart flutters and now a gum infection again. How are you doing, any improvement yet?

• Posted

bad bad day for me today my lovely every symptom under the sun actually thinking of dropping again after christmas as i feel so bad anyway, i know what you mean about reassurance im like that too, its so horrible this isnt it x

• Posted

I'm trying to get things done today to make tomorrow easier. House tidy, roast in oven, table laid, presents under tree etc. Doing the veg later, taking a break cos I'm overheating lol.

• Posted

i would stay on the five for a real long time and stabilize .not unless your side effects are severe enough to increase again for comfort.

• Posted

after how long youve been on 5mgs i really dont think an increase will work, if you want to find out more go on surviving antidepressants because theyve actually been through severe withdrawals x

• Posted

Thanks Lois.

I thought I'd replied earlier but it's disappeared. Must have hit the keyboard too quickly.

It's probably stress because of the holidays making things seem worse. I'll see how I feel after Christmas before increasing. Hopefully I'll stabilise on 5.

Have a good Christmas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.