Up and down On Mirtazapine.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive been on mirtazapine for over 3 months, first month on 15mg and then 30mg, i'm currently still on 30mg and I'm still having ups and downs, the ups are getting longer but when i crash back down i feel utterly terrible and weird (cant even explain the feeling, just bleh and dont feel myself at all) for a few days. I'm loathe to give them up though because i think these tablets work really well, when they work! but thats the problem, they don't work all the time, i feel like i'm on a roller coaster.

Does anyone else have this ? where you feel back to your normal self for a period of a week or two and then just fall back into feeling bad for a few days ? its can happen overnight or if it happens in the day i can literally feel myself slipping back into a depressed state, i start to get irritable and moody, then the lethargy and weird feelings come and i don't want to do anything for a few days, the worst thing about the crash period is it feels like it will be permanent but it usually does dissipate and i'll feel good again soon.

Mirtazapine has definitely helped me because when i first started i couldn't get out of bed but I sometimes wonder if Mirt is actually the problem and not the solution now ? i suppose the only way to figure that out is to taper down on them.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, i have a similar experience to you although i am on 30mg Mirtazipine before bed combined with 125mg Sertraline in the morning. I am continually swinging from feeling well and then either bad or really bad. I also often get waves of lovely feeling in the brain like someone is massaging my brain and the light will finally be switched on and will recover. This feeling is on the brink and then it never reaches a climax and i go back to feeling vaguely unwell or full on symptoms. I try my best to accept and ignore but it's impossible to let go when you have a rollercoaster of symptoms. There are no triggers for anything so i will feel absolutely fine on a really stressful day at work and then feel really bad on a Saturday when i'm relaxing or enjoying leisure activities with friends and family. No rhyme or reason to it all which is so frustrating. However, i hold on to the candle that i got well before and can do again

Just know that we are all in this together, we are not alone and will get better. Everyone thinks their own situation is unique, no one understands exactly how they feel and what their dealing with in the battle with their own mind. The truth is that patience and acceptance is the only way through it as battling against your own mind is futile. Just try and live your life as normal, distract yourself with life and slowly you will recover. That's what we're all striving for. Peace and love and i wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

thanks for the reply.

Yes, when Mirtazapine works it is really great, i get things done and am sociable but then i have bad days when i don't even want to watch a movie or leave my room, people and noises irritate me, its just very bizarre how i can feel great one day then the next feel so different :- / i really want to get my life back on track but its impossible when i dont know how i'll feel from day to day. Last week i thought i'd made a major breakthrough, i felt totally normal, i was enjoying things i used to enjoy then the last two days ive just been on a slippery slope back down, ive been like this since starting Mirt, up and down.

as i say, i think maybe i'm having trouble processing it or something, either i'm ridding it from my system too quickly or too slowly and its building up, the latter i believe can be dangerous.

• Posted

i feel similar to that as well , somwtimes feel better at work than at home . it's like i cant relax and switch off at all

anyone any tips to help ?

• Posted

I was on this drug for 3 months from 15mg to 45mg my days where anxiety hell..the only time it worked was as soon as I took it at 7pm it calmed me an helped sleep. But I had hardly any good days, an still had to take diazepam along side it. so after 3 months I felt I was just existing and not improving. so went back gp to change to original meds, which I am still trying to get, they put me on similar tricyclic one but after a month not convinced it helping a private psychiatrist took me off old an on new,biggest regret but wont go into my reason. I just think mirt poisoned me, but they work for some. go chat to gp.

• Posted

i feel for you, at least i get some relief from my good days, i'd hate to stay in the state i'm in right now permanently, its really, really horrible, the only thing that makes it bearable is knowing Ive been here before and come out of it. I'm just wondering if the Mirtazapine has served its purpose for me now and rather than helping me its hindering me, maybe i'm feeling better despite the mirtazapine ? i guess the only way to know is to taper off it.

I dont want to say Mirtazapine doesn't work because it does for me, albeit intermittently.

• Posted

Hey, well you are describing exactly my time on Mirtazapine - like a freaking roller coaster. My ups and downs lasted longer though, about 3 weeks on the down or up. ( I was on 30mg and 45 mg.) I found it soul destroying going from hey this is good Im getting things done feeling jokey and social at work until .. like clockwork the rug gets pulled and all the doubts and mental fog return and you cant bear going back to work to face people and even carry a conversation. So no, you arent unusual! Like you I thought is this medicine actually the cause of my anxiety or has my mental health deteriorated that bad on its own? After I got off - and after quite a few months after that - I discovered its due to the Mirt. But incredibly for me I believe my 11 months on it rewired my brain and I am now calmer and peaceful than I ever was before going on it. But what hell to go through - at times I did not believe Id still be alive in a years time. I wish you strength in getting off it. I wrote about how I got off it, if you click on my user name youll see it I think. Peace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.