Upcoming bunion and hammer toe surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, I'm having surgery in two weeks . A few questions. From what i understand i will have a block as far as anesthesia. I'm really worried about being awake during this procedure. Also, how long before weight bearing, driving, going back to work?? I know its different for everyone but a little input would be great! I put in for 4 weeks off but i fear it will be longer as my job is more out of my office, driving from place to place, getting out and walking. Also did you use crutches or the scooter? thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gina I'm nearly 3 weeks post op, I had a the same op but I had a general anesthetic and a block aswell so I didn't feel any pain after surgery for the first 24 hours, after that I must admit it was painful but I managed the pain on only 1 co-codamol every 4 hours for 3 days, you can weight bear straight away for toilet and kettle!! but you'll know yourself your body tells you, when you stand you'll feel your foot swell up so you'll know how much you can do, I don't drive myself so I can't comment on that but I think if I did I wouldn't be driving just yet I'd probably wait until the pin comes out, as although I'm in no pain it's a bit uncomfortable with the pin in, good luck hope all goes well.

• Posted

hello Gina. i had the same surgery 7 weeks ago and used a knee scooter until i got a walking boot.

I still cannot drive or put full weight on the foot. I am doing PT to get the scar tissue down and to move my toes.

The first few days after surgery are tough. Pain meds help but it can be very uncomfortable.

The best advice i can give you is have frozen meals ready, a friend to check in on you, and get a wedge to keep your leg up on. Also have two ice packs so you always have a cold one ready.

I also purchased guide bars to put next to toilet to help get up and down. Also a gripper for the tub and a shower chair.

In my case insurance didn't cover the walking boot so i ordered a tall air

cast one from Amazon - also got guide rails, tub gripper there too.

Hope it all goes well for you!

• Posted

HI Gina! Hope your surgery went well... I am also awaiting an upcoming bunion surgery I'm 34 and the pain is getting worse daily hence why I've opted to go the surgery route. Reading all of these discussions is helpful however my Dr. has told me to be prepared to be 8 weeks non-weight bearing and then after the 8 weeks it will be gradually putting more weight on the operated foot. I'm luck as my work is very understanding with this and as they know it is my right foot they are prepared for me to be out of the office at least 12 weeks (with doing modified duties from home after 9 weeks, dependent on the Dr.'s orders of course). I am reading lots of people putting weight on way before the 8 week mark and I'm not willing to have to go through this again so I'm planning on following instructions as best I can so that when I get back to work and start travelling and doing field work again that hopefully the recovery will be less challenging... That's the hope and plan anyways. I'm just under a month to go before the surgery and I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, being awake for surgery, having to use crutches for 8-12 weeks when I've never done it before. Any suggestions for crutches? Plain-Jane aluminum ones, anyone on here ever tried the forearm crutches? Thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Posted

I've had bunion and hammer toe surgery today. i guess nobody posts so soon. I had a nerve block, foot is still numb since the operation was this morning. I was partially asleep, did not feel, hear or see anything. The nurses had me practice with both crutches and a walker. Yesterday, I ordered myself a knee scooter but I then realized that the company is in China so who knows when I will get it. My foot is bandaged and I have a boot on. I was told I had to keep my foot elevated but that I could walk on crutches/walker for some 15 minutes every now and then with no weight bearing on the foot (the right foot) But I mostly have to keep my foot elevated even when I sleep. They said I could take off the boot at night. I am using the walker since it seems to provide more stability. Plus, I can rest my right knee on the horizontal bar if I get tired of hopping. Getting in the house was something else since we have lots of stairs, even to get in. I hopped in with the walker through the basement door, the only one with no stairs. I used my bum, my good foot and my arms to propel myself up the stairs, first to the first floor and after a short rest, another flight of stairs to my bedroom. I am seeing the doc in approx 2 weeks. After two weeks I hope I can walk on my heel of the right foot. That would be immensely helpful. I hope the time goes by fast until I can be on both of my feet again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.