Upcoming Bunion Surgery - a few questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Left foot – wedge cut of bone at bottom of big toe and pinned– upper joint has arthritis, so the simpler Austin method cannot be done, hammertoe on next toe to big toe – cut & pinned & Achilles cut at top on back of my leg, 

I have seat in shower & hand-held shower wand – what do you wrap around foot/leg to protect it from water?

No weight on left foot for two weeks. Opinions – I have a walker without wheels and a knee walker I am borrowing from my church – any need for crutches?

I’m a terrible patient – tend to be unrealistic and expect to get back to "doing" ASAP.  Can drive after a few days, I am hoping?...

I play piano so I’m thinking of an ottoman to put my left leg on under the grand piano, if possible.  I know many of you have experience with this surgery, so any other advice?  Thank you, Susan

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You can buy a rubber sock to put over your foot to keep it dry in the shower. It's not very realistic to expect to drive after a few days. Recovery is a slow process. 
    • Posted

Thank you, Christine...It's best for me to face reality and try to go with the flow in my recovery...
  • Posted

Hello Susan.  Like you I want to be better yesterday!  However, after 10 days since my Scarf Akin op I realise this is a long term slow progress condition I have put myself through.  After day surgery I was sent off home with just a wedge shoe, no instructions on how to use, and i could not put my foot down for 4-5 days so only used the wedge shoe for protection, even slept in it!   Luckily I already have a basic walking frame and crutches from past conditions.  So I used a walking frame at first, that way I could hop from bed to loo or armchair, this helped me keep my balance, though I did have a few falls.  A few days ago I tried using the crutches and found them easier as my balance was helped with the heel of my op foot.  I have also splashed out on a lightweight wheel chair so that I can get out of the house,  I  also use this first thing in the morning as I don't feel strong enough to use the crutches.

We brought a bed downstairs, and we have a downstairs loo.  In my second week I am spending a little more time out of my recliner armchair, as its advised to keep your foot raised mostly in the first two weeks.   I think we all find our own ways around our disability.

Like you I put a plastic stool in shower and use the hand held hose, go online and buy a plastic cover, I bought a cheap one which I just tie each end, you can pay more for one which has a sealed toe end and rubber seal around leg.  I managed to climb the stairs on my feet, one step at a time yesterday for first time., The shower is upstairs.  I am hoping to drive in a week or two, as I have an automatic car.  

You will needed someone with you in the first week, and to provide you with meals for at least two weeks.  I didn't expect all this, but have now resigned myself to the longevity of recovery, especially after reading on this forum.  Make sure you have loads to occupy your mind and hands.  Good luck!  Let me know if you want the link to that shower cover.

• Posted

Thank you so much, Barbara.

1.  Shower - it is a seat built into the side of the shower - I think I should get shower STOOL

2.  I don't have stairs at home - I thought I might go to a store to try crutches, etc. and think it through.

3.  My husband works during the day but would fix me breakfast and supper - the rest of the day I would be alone, even the first week.

4.  I am thinking of things to occupy my hands and mind.

5. and I'm facing up to the fact that I will need PATIENCE in my healing period.

• Posted

Hi Susan, one of my accidents was in the shower when the stool tipped over because I leant forward to get out, had nasty fall backwards.  So I think the fixed seat best.

When I told the ward sister that I had crutches at home she adcised not to use them unless you've had instructions how to use, she said they are dangerous if you don't know how.  As I said before I couldn't use them in the first 5 days, as I was hopping.  Much safer to have a frame, especially if you are on your own.  Most of the time you can lay down on bed or put your feet up on an armchair or sofa, but try to think about how you are going to get to the toilet hopping.  Dangerous on your own, how will you get up if you fall?  Do you have friends or family to pop in? 

Also just remembered the hospital won't send you home from day surgery unless you have someone to,car for you for the first 24 hours.  Are you in UK and are you day surgery?

• Posted

Patience is the key! And preparation.... My husband left me with flask and sandwich box for lunches and also make sure you have water and snacks accessible. Good book, Tv etc. try not to overdo it as it seems this never ends well. It is a major procedure and you need to listen to your body after 6 weeks you do notice improvements and a semblance of normality again! Good luck
    • Posted

thank you, Sue.  I'm copying and pasting all your suggestions into a word document and I will make a list of things to do (maybe get my cross-stitch out, which I have not done in years, sudoku puzzles, etc. and my husband will set up two tv tables to the side of my recliner, etc.  I am the type that wants to be prepared and I appreciate all you thoughts SO much - I was just into a really good Low Carb and Exercise plan (walking and riding a trike outside) lately, SO maybe in the 2nd week, I thought I might just lift some light dumbbels and work on my arm toning, but as you are all telling me: listen to my body & don't overdo - yes, Sue, I love to read, so books I will add to my list.
  • Posted

Good plan. I found I watched far more tv than I thought I would as I couldn't be bothered with oops at first even though I usuallly read a lot.  Did a couple of jigsaws that was nice. It was only once I had gone back to work that I wished I had been more productive! Think the anaesthetic dulled my senses and made me veg.  I did put on weight despite not having much of an petite as I am usually very active and walk everywhere. Still desperate to get the walking up again and definitely improving my mobility each week. It can be quite isolating so if you have willing visitors my advice is to spread them out and get them to make a hot drink for you!, the making was manageable but carrying it was impossible for me for first few weeks.  I used to put stuff on a tray and use my good foot or crutch to push it along the ground but not sensible with a drink...😳
    • Posted

Again, thank you, Sue...some things you suggested, I would have never thought of.  I think I will be sent away with crutches after surgery .  I already have a knee walker and walker without wheels on loan from my church.  It seems like crutches could be handy - nice and compact to get to the bathroom, for instance...I'll try to have some friends lined up to come over...
  • Posted

By the way there is loDs of great advice on past threes on this forum and lots of repetition so when you are laid up you can check lol those out too.  It would be good if we got the r I e list form the hospital rather than nothing. This forum is so supportive especially when you feel low about things and also fab to hear the positive stories.
  • Posted

i agree with the other Susan, you do feel down and having this forum somehow makes you feel connected with similar people.   About the exercise.  Good that you are fit before op, I am not and it is putting a strain on my back etc.  Also I read somewhere about how bones mend and one person explained that exercise could help, obviously not on your feet or the op foot, but sitting down and using weights or other body exercise.  I do yoga and so have adapted some of the stretching sitting down,  You will get very stiff sitting all the time so this light exercise should help, the body and mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.