Upcoming Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Based on a NCT and an EMG test, I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. The treatment plan is surgery on right(dominant) hand and while I am under anesthesia, they dr will give me a cortisone shot in my left hand.  I have carpal tunnel release surgery coming up in 9 days. My right thumbs tingles so much it burns.  My index finger, middle finger and my rings size fingers have off and on pins a needles but tingle frequently.  I have two questions, what can I do to ease this discomfort between now and the surgery? And will these God awful symptoms go away after surgery?

Thank you for reading and I am open to any suggestions.

In Pain and frustrated,

Colleen

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wear a neutral angle wrist splint at night - that's by far the best first aid measure. How severe were the NCS results? There should be no need to wait for an anaesthetic for corticosteroid injection, indeed it's almost certainly safer if done while you are awake and often offers a very quick fix for CTS. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Colleen,

​I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery with trigger finger release surgery on my right middle finger on February 22, 2018.  Left hand is doing great.  Still a little soreness in wrist, but otherwise fine.  Right hand is still extremely sore, painful and very swollen.  It has been eight weeks and pain in right hand is worse than ever.  Keeps me awake at night.  I had no pain post surgery, but as soon as bandages were removed from right hand, it has been swollen and extremely painful.  I am seeing a physical therapist twice a week for the right hand, but so far no progress with pain or swelling.   Left hand has no pain (with exception of pain in wrist on movement) so I guess you could say I have had 50% success!  Since trigger finger surgery is not involved in your case I would think you should have 100% success.  Good luck and hope everything goes well with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.