Upcoming discectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am scheduled for a discectomy in a couple of weeks I've had sciatica in my right buttocks and leg since February. An MRI showed a bulging disc compressing the nerve in my right side. I have been taking 1200mgs of Gabapentin and 30mgs of Cymbalta daily and Cortisone shots in July. The last week or so I haven't had much pain. My question is should I go ahead with the surgery or cancel it. Is it possible that the Gabapentin, Cymbalta and Cortisone are controlling the pain? The surgeon said I should fix the issue rather than have Cortisone injections every three months. What do you think?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have the surgery. I was in the same boat and I am thankful I got the repair done. 
  • Posted

Hi Cbijl,

So sorry to hear you've had such a tough time with back pain and sciatica. I do empathise having been affected by back pain myself over the last 15 months or so, and I've been lucky that I have still been able to do things and not needed surgery thanks to God, but it has still got me so down and stopped me from working and got me in a hole physically and mentally. 

I'm hoping that God can help guide you to make the right decision about the procedure Cbijl, I really couldn't advise one way or the other having only very limited knowledge in this area. I had sciatica down my leg in the past and tried everything, physio, chiro all sorts without success - but then I was told about something called Bowen Therapy, and it really made such a difference and it went away after getting some sessions of that. It's a very safe, non-evasive therapy, certainly at the very least can do no harm and made a major difference for me. 

Another thing I was recommended by my osteopath was a booked called 'Back Pain Decoded' by Robert Shanks. I think a black and white version is the cheapest and can be got from Amazon or Ebay for about £20 (UK money). I haven't read it all yet but looks good different to many back books, give details of lots of therapies and practical gadgets, etc, that are worth trying for different types and levels of back pain. 

Hoping and praying for things to get better Cbijl, I believe that God is the great healer and that He is going to get you through this and has great plans ahead for your life still, and needs you to be pain free to fulfil them, so hang in there and remember there is hope - and praying that God can help you make the right decision regarding this procedure, I know it's so hard when you don't know what to do for the best. Thinking of you!

Craig

• Posted

hi I'm in the same boat your in I can go for the operation if l want to but have opted to give pyshio one last chance. l have gone to a new pyshio and she has said to give her 2-3 weeks and if it doesn't improve then consider the operation . Not a big fan on back surgery 🙁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.