Upcoming ESA assessment - what to expect

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed by the hospital as having a "hypermobile tailbone" coming under the umbrella diagnosis of coccydinia and was told I would get an operation to try and fuse the bone back together. That was in August and I have heard nothing so I am going to attend my GP on Monday to chase them up.

I used to work in retail/customer service jobs but for the past 4+ months I have found it difficult to walk/stand for extended periods of time and even find it painful sitting for any length of time. I'm currently taking daily painkillers and applied for ESA in September. I have just had the dreaded letter through about my upcoming assessment (27th January).

Can anyone advise what to expect or offer any tips/advice? I'm extremely apprehensive about it as I get the feeling they are going to try and trip me up at any opportunity.

Many thanks!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

We are entitled to a copy of what our assessor has reported back. I am going to find this very revealing when it arrives.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, just a quick update to let you all know my assessment went ahead on Friday. The woman I met with was very pleasant but still anticipating the worst outcome. Will do,e back once I have received my feedback 
  • Posted

Hello all and sorry for the delay in updating you. So I went for my assessment on 26th February and have just had my letter through. Of course I got declined for ESA but reading through the notes from the girl that I met with has left a particular sour taste. She states that I didn't take my medication- this is not true she just never asked me to see the packet so I didn't think to ram it in her face. She also wrote that I have no difficulty in daily tasks like showering or hoovering and that I change bed sheets daily. Just not the case, I explained that I am in pain when showering and Hoover maybe every 2 days but it only takes 5 minutes. They seem to think that being able to hoover for 5 minutes every 2 days means you can stand on your feet in a shop for 8 hours of the day. So I am currently at the stage of "Mandatory Reconsideration" but have no hope. I've since had my letter from the hospital confirming I am on the waiting list for back surgery and am in the diary with the local company to help me through the appeal stage (if it comes to that - HA! who am I kidding, of course it will). 

Today I had to go to the JobCentre and register to go on JobSeekers but I explained to the girl about my back, showed her the letter from the hospital and how I don't feel fit enough to work but she said I need to be applying for jobs that are up to 90minutes away and I shouldn't be telling them about my "health condition". I feel like I'm wasting possible employers time and stated that I feel I should be telling them as if I don't and my operation comes around they might not be able to give time off as I did not disclose it to them. She said no don't tell them and if they become funny about it I could take them to a tribunal. 

So until I go to the appeal people I'll just have to dance to their tune. 

• Posted

Had mine last thursday what odd interview no name was giving of the dr which i find strange had mine taped seems the questions are too trip you up the first thing she aksed was "so you sleep a full night sleep " you really have to be on the ball with them i forgot too take my drugs with me i said it was all in my letters from my gps and specailist 

What do you do all day ? nothing i am in pain 

cant say how i feel on here as i will be banned 

DONT GET ILL UNDER THE TORIES THEY WILL SCREW YOU INTO THE GROUND AND SMILE AS THERE ARE DOING IT 

NEVER LET THEM WIN AND FIGHT FOR YOU RIGHTS AND HEALTH XXXXX

• Posted

I am facing a situation where PIPS have stopped my 2 years enhanced award by doing a reassessment where I have gone from 16 points to 7 points when I am far worse off and not working. I am appealing through a tribunal as it us clear mistakes were made by the assessor which has affected my claim. But I have heard that even if you win a tribunal if they do another reassessment you face losing it again. What a joke!!!!!!!!! I now will have to find permitted work although I have had shoulder surgery and have had FIBROMYALGIA for 9 years.The ironic thing is that Esa have put me.in the support group.
    • Posted

One thing we should ask is why do ESA and PIPS do different assessments. Which cost money plus why do we mostly end up going to tribunals which cost the GOVT even more money and why are ATOS such a nightmare!!!!! Superceding medical professionals to do with our physical and mental health. I dread to think what is around the corner now that IDS has resigned.!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

But I have heard that even if you win a tribunal if they do another reassessment you face losing it again. What a joke!!!!!!!!! 

Yes they do and it is!!

I was glad in a way that I failed to get past the starting post in the DLA to PIP conversion. Although that meant an immediate reduction in income of £250 a week,at least I haven't got the worry about having to have repeat re-assessments or reviews as they call them every few years. I'm in my 68th year and the thought of those reviews every year until I peg it would make life extremely difficult to say the least.I was in receipt of High Mobility/Middle Care DLA on an indefinite basis before the s*** hit the fan!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.