Upcoming fusion of foot. I am really afraid of surgery but can hardly walk due to the pain.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have very bad arthritis in both feet. The Dr. is going to do a steroid injection, but says I really need a fusion.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a midfoot fusion about 8 months ago in my left foot. I was terrified to have the surgery because of the long recovery. I was at the point where the fusion was my only choice too so I did it. It was the BEST decision I've made!! My recovery went so smooth. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I am pain free in that foot now and am actually looking at getting my other foot done now. I know the surgery and recovery seem scary but it's totally worth it!! I feel like I have my life back now.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your post. My doctor said there would be no pain and I would only be unable to bear weight for 2 months, but when I read other posts it really scared me.

• Posted

you are so fortunate.

I had excellent results with having my big toe fused; hower, due to bad pain from hammertoes my surgeon broke the 4 toes and it has been 10 months. my second toe knuckle is solid and the toe curls downward under my big toe. At my appointment with the surgeon Wednesday, my surgeon said that I would most likely have to have all 4 toes amputated to the knuckle. but that he will refer me to another surgeon for a second opinion and talk to three of his colleagues for their opinion.

I am in constant pain, am beyond frustrated with what to do with what I will do with boots for wearing in the snow and ice. so far I've not found a pair that does not fit tight around my toes that puts additional pressure where I certainly don't need.

Good luck all !!!!!

• Posted

This is my only piece of advice. Completely stay off your foot until your doctor tells you otherwise. The doctor will give you a perscription for a kneeling scooter. The scooter became my way to independence. I was able to live a normal life during my recovery with my scooter. I was a total of 10 weeks non weight bearing and 2 weeks in a walking boot and then I was back in a shoe. You can do this!! Just prepare yourself that it will he a long recovery but the end result will be worth it!

• Posted

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it, and will talk to my doctor again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.