Upcoming GAD psychiatric treatment and freaking out!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a diagnosis  of GAD during an assessment in secondary care.A pyschiatrist has arranged for community nurses to visit me at home as I am unable to cope with group therapy.I think she wants to do applied relaxation and cbt. I am due to have an appointment with her in a few weeks time and wondered if anyone knows what will happen at this first appointment.I was also perscribed trazodone at my assessment but did not take it as I can't take anti-depressants because of a sensitive stomach.I can't take beta blockers because I have asthma and my anxiety is unbearable because it's ntreated.I have tried citalopram,sertaline and fluoxetine and couldn't tolerate them.Has anyone any ideas on what someone in my position can take? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Shaz calm down take deep breath, your not alone, I'm 26 years old from the US, I suffer as well. Constantly feel like there's something wrong with me. My left arm hurts sometimes or I get heart palpitations fast heart bet face an ears get red hot , feel panic an overwhelming like I'm about to die, it sucks , it's a struggle. Some days are good some are bad. You are not alone. Try diazepam 10mg , calms me down quick.
    • Posted

Thanks Randall.I know the overwhelming feeling.I was perscribed 7 5mcg of diazepam by my doctor last year for special occassions but they're not keen to perscribe it on a regular basis.I was told it was only anxiety and I couldn't die from it.You're right it is a struggle.I just wish I could find an anti-depressant  that works for me.
    • Posted

Best of luck to u bud , we are in this together an it helps talking to others that go through the same thing
    • Posted

Yes it does help to talk.I figure the treatment can't be any worse than feeling like this 24/7.I don't know if you've had treatment for your suffering but I wish you well for the future.
  • Posted

Have u tried diazapam or lorazepam to calm your nerves & give them a break? X
  • Posted

Hi I also suffer severely with GAD I know exactly how you feel I can't tolerate ssris I'm coming off venlafaxine and now going onto Mirtazipine which is also good for sleep it has less side effects and also lorazepam for emergency only I wish you all the best 🌸 x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.