Upcoming Hysterectomy and Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on 09/20 after dealing with a large uterine fibroid that has been causing postmenopausal bleeding and spotting for the last three years or so. This has been worked up with ultrasounds and biopsies but not a CT scan. 

So, I'm scheduled for a CT scan in the morning as part of the preoperative workup and my neurotic brain has me twisted with worry about what it is going to show since, come to find out the only thing they've really been able to see has been this huge fibroid for all this time. 

Meanwhile, this episode of spitting and sputtering spotting continues to unnerve me and I'm basically just a mess, as none of the other spotting episodes carried on this long. Any words of encouragement would be so appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Christine,

If you've had a biopsy, then your doctor is being very cautious, and that's good.  It seems to me that he or she wants to be absolutely sure what's going on inside you before commencing the surgery. I'm sure that you will be glad to say good-bye to the fibroid.  If you have your uterus removed, then with that will come the end to other issues you might possibly have, such as any type of uterine cancer, including endometrial cancer.

I've had a total hysterectomy recently. In my case, my uterus was quite small; my doctor told me that generally, there are few problems after the removal.  My bladder and intestines have settled quite nicely.  

If I may ask, how old are you?  Is your doctor planning on removing your ovaries as well?  And, if you are having DaVinci robotic surgery with removal through the vagina, I could answer your questions about that, too.

Best of luck!  Let us know how you do!

• Posted

Lynda, I am 52 and firmly in menopause. I don't know that my bladder will know what to do without this babyhead-sized fibroid sitting on it, but I do know that I am very ready to perhaps be able to go a few hours without visiting the restroom!  My doc says, barring anything unforeseen, she will be able to do a vaginal procedure, with everything coming out, even though the fibroid is quite large. She didn't mention Da Vinci, so I am not sure about that just yet. 

• Posted

Those pesky fibroids can cause a bit of bleeding or spotting but, thankfully, fibroids are almost always benign. Of course, you're nervous and anxious! Hysterectomy is major surgery and associated with a number of negative effects. Have you considered having just the fibroids removed via hysteroscopy (if they're small) or myomectomy (if they're large)? That would allow you to keep your uterus and its life long / non-reproductive functions. A frozen section biopsy done during surgery can tell if the fibroids are in fact benign.

I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and I call it the surgery that keeps on giving (one problem after another) even if ovaries are not removed. If they are, that's a whole other set of health hurdles. So although hysterectomy is so common, it is not a benign procedure.

I'm curious what they expect the CT scan to show.

• Posted

Hello

I had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago and had so many scans before surgery it was freaky!

If there going in why not see what is going on to take care of it all- sounds like you're afraid. I was. I cried and jumped off the table... I had 2 gigantic fibroids pushing into my Colon. Bleeding hemmoraging blood transfusions anemia horrible pain... For years. My mom was ill and dying... I took care of her. After the fact I finally decided to go for surgery.

You go for it and do it girl- be strong. You will be fine!

So much better after its done. Good luck. Go kick butt!!!! Let me know how you do. 👍

• Posted

Well the CT is done. Did anyone else's technician ask why you were having it done and if you'd had imaging before? I am convinced the tone changed after the first couple of pictures. I'm about to lose it I'm afraid, but at least I made it all the way home before I did. I really hate this. But thank you so much for your encouraging words. 

• Posted

Hi, Christine! It's so difficult trying to interact with the tech!  And, unfortunately, they will be in trouble if they tell you anything.  Only the MD can do that.  Go ahead and feal your fear.  Accept it.  Then know that you soon will know what you need to do.  Then, go ahead and do it.

I know that sounds simple, but it's not.  I was in a panic after my cancer diagnosis.  I cried lots.  But, I made it to the hospital and had the surgery that would let me get well.  We're all praying for you!  

• Posted

Feel your fear. I am sure doing that. But in front of people, I am generally very stoic, so I do my meltdowns in private...with y'all :-) thank you for the outlet.

• Posted

Don't let the expected fear get the better of you. It sounds more to me like your CT scan is routine before the surgery. How do you know it's a large fibroid if you've not had scan before? In NZ our techs are allowed to explain in depth as they do it. Did you have internal scan? You might be totally freaking out unnecessarily. Only pathology by a lab will give the benign or other, result. Not the CT. BOL, but you must settle down & wait.

• Posted

Hi Christine I'm 11 weeks post op I had a TAH cut from hip to hip I had huge fibroids inside My uterus and outside my uterus 8 pounds worth removed I spotted for nearly a year due to not going to the doctor for many years they found my fibroids with CT scan couldn't even do the biopsy or a Pap smear they couldn't find my cervix due to huge fibroids pushing on everything had to pee every few minutes due to pressure they were causing my spotting and couple days of heavy heavy bleeding ! Everyday is getting better but it's been rough road! Best of luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.