Upcoming hysterectomy - would love some tips

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there.   Dr. found a largish fibroid on the front of my uterus a year ago.   I had enough symptoms that I considered hysterectomy but ended up having another needed surgery first (thyroidectomy).   So, a year later and the fibroid is now 12.1x11.8x10.8.   Dr is saying too large to shrink enough (with Depo Luprin shots) so recommending abdominal hysterectomy.   I am in agreement.   Here's my questions for all of you:   How long did you take off from work?  Was there anything you did to help better prepare you?  Any suggestions?   Etc.    I'm 43, so I'm ok with the surgery but I'm scared since the last abdominal surgery I had was 14 years ago and it was my csection.

Thanks for any advice your willing to share.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was given 6 weeks off for partial hysterectomy. Make sure you have a heating pad, crackers, clear soda(ginger ale), abdominal binder if you can. Stay strong 
    • Posted

Thank you so much!   I appreciate your advice.   Bought all of the items you listed.   Going in May 17th
    • Posted

Liz, might be a silly question, but, why do you need all these things?? 
  • Posted

I'm booked in later this year, pre op in a couple of weeks.  I, too have a fibroid (15cm) and will need abdominal hysterectomy.  I was told about 3 months to recover but about 2 months off work completely returning for light duties.  I would just follow the instructions of the health professionals at your checks.  It is major surgery and you will need to look after yourself and rest properly otherwise you will ruin your recovery.  I plan to spend as much time in bed as possible as I am a useless patient would be better on my own upstairs for as long as poss smile  

• Posted

Hi im 54 had abdominal hysterectomy 10 week's ago they just done it through csection scar recovery was good just take it easy pain is manageble hospital stay only 3 day's your body lets you know if you overdo things first two week's i spent at home resting then gradually got out out and about short distances you will know yourself my doc recommended 10 to 12 weeks depending on the job you do its not as bad as it was years ago however still major surgery so do as your body tells you and rest good luck you Will be fine xx

• Posted

Hi Yvette.

Welcome. 

The best advice, be very patient in your recovery. I’ve already had a tongue lashing only yesterday  from my physician for not listening. As for recovery process, I’ve been told approximately 6 to 8 weeks, it’s all dependent on the individual patient. I’m hearing approximately 10 weeks for me, only due to my NOT listening to doctor’s instructions. I guess that I’ve become the delinquent in the group!!!

Take care. Listen to your physician and you’ll be fine!!!! smilewink)))

• Posted

Good I’m glad. Everything will be fine. I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted.  Stay strong . 
  • Posted

Helped me with being cold and nausea, along with not wanting to eat but having enough for a medicine. Everyone is different but that what I used to get me through the first 2 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi  Yvette

I had fibroids and an abdominal hysterectomy 5wks ago. 

The best pieces of advice are ;

do exactly as your consultant tells you it is major surgery and the recovery is slow and steady. 

Do not get constipated (caused by meds) if so I recommend  Movicol. 

To be comfortable to sleep I recommend a pillow between or under your legs which stops it pulling. 

Good luck 🍀

• Posted

I had a total hysterectomy keeping my ovaries 4 weeks ago.  Plan on taking at least 6 to 8 weeks. I am 45 years old.  I returned to work after 3 weeks - not a good idea. My FMLA paperwork stated I would be out 6 weeks BUT because the doctor told me that some women feel well enough to return at 2 weeks - this is what I told my manager. So at 3 weeks I felt obligated. I do have an office job so I thought I could manage. I totally underestimated this surgery. I had a previous Mommy Makeover in 2015. In two weeks I was back at work so this is what I compared my recovery to ahead of time. My doctor told me since I was keeping ovaries- no hormone issues. Wrong!  I was totally not prepared - blaming myself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.