Upcoming Incisional hernia(s) repair by open surgery - would appreciate input

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I had a colon resection open surgery in Feb 2015 and then they had to cut me back open 10 days later because the colon sutures came undone.  It was a long and very painful recovery, I was in the hospital for exactly 2 months.

I developed 2 incisional hernias several months later. The hernias were very painful and I know my weight at the time made matters worse.  My wonderful surgeon told me I needed to lose 80 pounds before he would do the hernia surgery, because if I didn't lose the weight then the chance for more hernias after surgery was very good.  So, I had weight loss surgery (laproscopic) in Nov 2016.  I have lost 100 pounds.

I have been feeling a lot better and getting exercise, etc, until Monday this week when I started having severe pain in the large hernia again. Now it even sticks out when I am in the laying down posistion.  Because of the sudden pain, I saw my surgeon yesterday.  He said I am ready for surgery.  I am no longer considered high risk because of the weight loss. However, as he finished explaining what the surgery would entail, I was not prepared for his news.  I am going to need open surgery (not lapro) and it will involve cutting me just below the breastbone all the way to the lower abdomen.  He will remove scar tissue and adhesions from my prior abdominal surgeries, he will repair the hernias, muscular work will be done... basically a reconstruction of the abdominal wall.  I didn't realize it was such a major surgery.  Also, because of my prior abdominal surgeries, I will be in the hospital at least 3 days.

He said I need to get this done soon because if I am up and active, the pain will just contine (I am taking Tramadol for pain).  Currently I just lay in bed with the heating pad on. Severe pain.  So I need to suck it up and just make that call and get the ball rolling on surgery.

Sorry this is so long, but I need to talk to people who have been there.

I am really scared of going through pain.  For those of you that have had previous open abdominal surgeries, how bad is the pain after another open surgery?  How long were you in the hospital and when you got back home, how did you do things on your own such as getting out of bed, walking around, etc.?  

Please share with me and thank you in advance. smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have had 3 open ab surgeries.  The first, ruptured appendix emergency surgery in the Azores.  The second open was incisional hernia surgery without a mesh.  That didn't work for more than a couple of month but required 6 weeks of bed rest.  Third open surgery was 5 hours sewing up 8 cm hole and inception of large mesh covering most of my abdomin.  Mesh surgery was in the hospital for 3 days then 2 months of bed rest including walking everyday.  After each hernia surgery also required wearing an elastic wrap  for a few months.  Last surgery was May 24, 2016.  I still have gnawing pain if I am on my feet all day which isn't often.  This really doesn't effect me.  

Realize, I am in the U.S. and treatment is different here than in the UK.  I have had to retire.  I am 64.  I now have Small Intestinal Over Growth (SIBO) which appears not to be curable.  The doctor says this comes from 2 weeks of IV antibiotics in the Azores and not from the mesh.  I see no evidence of this being a mesh issue, but it is making life really difficult.  I am now taking Xifaxan.  This is an antibiotic that just targets the intestines.  It is partially working.

From what I understand now, whenever you open the abdominal area, expect hell to pay.

• Posted

Hello Judith, 

Thank you for your response.  I am sorry to hear of the complications you've had.  I hope that things get better for you.

I hate hearing that it may be a difficult, rocky road ahead for me, but that is I guess, not really surprising.  After the colon resection along with the 2nd open abdominal surgery, I have had nothing but problems.  I had those surgeries back in Feb 2015 and the pain left behind has never really gone away.  That is one reason why I am scared about the upcoming open hernia(s)  surgery.  But it must be done.

I am 46 and in the U.S. as well.

Thanks again for your response and wish you the best.

• Posted

I am getting fabulous care here at Kaiser Permanente, but I now know there are issues that are not curable.  I had never heard about SIBO.  My doctor talks about quality of life and not a cure.  Everything I have read on the internet supports this.  When there is an incurable illness, the internet sprouts forth with many saying they have a cure or a help.  I really don't want to give my money to them.  I feel my doctor is more informed.  Remember that.

• Posted

Hi I had open surgery and where the main cut was made is good and don't feel any pain there

It's a bit uncomfortable but manageable

Are they repairing the hernia with mesh or stitches

It will take 2 weeks rest post surgery before you free to move but take your time

• Posted

Hi Glendo,

Glad to hear you aren't feeling any pain anymore.  Was yours an incisional hernia due to previous abdominal surgery?

My surgeon will not be using mesh.

• Posted

hello, im having open surgery this monday was curious to know how long you were in the hospital?

• Posted

Hi Mylighthouse,

I have just been through an abdominal incisional hernia repair and I've documented what happened on this post on the hernia forum:- "Large complex incisional hernia"

I personally have not had much pain at all, nothing more than the pain you might get from a bad stomach ache.

Have a read and see what you think.

Regards,

Phil.

• Posted

Hello, Phil,

Thank you for your response.  I read through your experience, which was very well documented.  Thank you for sharing.

I am glad to know that you were able to have your hernia surgery and that you're not in much pain.  That is great!

I just got my surgery date yesterday.  I am actually having surgery on Tuesday, May 6th at 9:00 a.m.  I have really been in a lot of pain with these hernias and unable to get out of the house, unable to move around much, so I am really glad for the Tuesday surgery date.

My surgeon tells me that I should be in the hospital 3-4 days.  As much as I am eager to get this surgery done, I am still feeling scared about going through the pain due to the large incision. 

I hope you are feeling good and that you had a speedy recovery and again, thank you for sharing your story.

• Posted

You will do fine.  Remember, recovery takes a lot longer than you would expect, but it will come.  Just the length of the surgery has a long recovery attached.  Don't do too much too soon as your stuff needs to grow into your mesh.  When that is complete in a few weeks, you will be fine.

Enjoy the rest!

• Posted

Thank you, Judith.  That makes me feel better.

I definitely will take it easy during the recovery time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.