Upcoming kidney stone removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

i I am new to this and I am Looking for some ease of mind.  I am a 36 year old mother of 4 children.  And after my last baby 18 months ago I have Had on going urinary issues.  I began To get petrified I had a tumor that they couldn’t find.  Anyway, I have Had urinate issues with every pregnancy but they have always come and gone and all drs told me was it was hormones or the way the baby was sitting on my Ureter.  Well, after this last birth the unrine issues never went away.  So long story short they finally found what they believe to be a 20mm stone in my right kidney and a small stone in my left.  They are going to perform surgery on the right and I cant Remember what surgery it is.  They said they would make an incision in my back go into my kidney with a tube and camera and take the stone out.  They will leave a drain tube in for a day retake a CT to make sure they got it all and put a stent in for about 2 days.  For the one on immy left they are going to “blast” it out.  So lucky me. I get To experience 2 ways of removing stones.   I’m not sure if they will do them both in the same visit or not.  I need to ask that because he didn’t say.  My question is, what should I expect Pain wise.  I like To think I have A high tolerance for pain, but I have Never experienced anything like this. And it is freaking me out.   What is the recoup time?  I have 4 active kids, which of course I will Have help while recovering.  But, I am Not good at taking it easy.  I also Had complications after my last baby because she was my one and only c section due to her flipping and I was Re admitted to the hospital after being discharged for a migraine and deathly high blood pressure (225/170).  They never figured out the cause of that, I wonder If I had Anxiety building because of the c section.   I had To stay in the hospital for 6 days because they couldn’t get my bp to drop with bp meds until a cardiologist came in and out me on another bp med.  I am Currently off of bp meds and my bp is normal.   Anyway.  Any advice and comfort would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

HI Kate,

I had both procedures and the one with the keyhole sized incision to the back was the most intensive. If you have the stent in your back, yu will have a much more pleasant recovery time. I found the stent from the urterer to the uretha more uncomfortable. My advice is to find the right pain meds to take and to relax. This your time to relax, reflect and to heal. I researched info about my particular stones and started to make the necessary changes in my diet to hopefully prevent more stones from forming. I am glad that yu will have support with your children. They have to know that mommy will need their support.

The second procedure can be done as an out patient procedure. My brook around 4 hours due to waiting I recovery after the procedure. I had all three PCNL, Lithotripsy and utereoscopy. The last two were a 4 hour out patient with the stent in the front. Recovery times vary, but you should heal quickly after the stent is removed. Stent are normally removed about one week after the procrdure- removal is not very pieasant. The stent removal from my back was painless, just pressure removing the stitches and pulling out the stent.

I pray that you will be back on your feet soon.

Take care and let me know how you are progressing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.