Upcoming left THR

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm new to this site, found only by accident but so glad I did find it! I'm going to need a left THR in the coming months (was hoping years but think that is unlikely), or whenever the pain gets to a point that I decide to have the surgery.

I'm struggling most with when to have the surgery. I'm 42 years old, never had surgery/ labor so I'm not sure I know when enough is enough. I don't want to get to a place where the pain causes tears or that quality of life is degraded completely.

I've switched my exercise to cycling and swimming mainly.... sometimes an elliptical if it feels ok. I've been limping since December, but even that fluctuates. My surgeon said the surgery timing is my call, but am unsure when is right. If you'd be willing to share some insights into what made you decide to have the surgery, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Christine

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christine

If you are limping, twisting & not able to function without pain meds then it’s woeth considering THR.

Please check out this site for issues related to the anterior approach. 

You’re young and the anterior approach comes with long term risks. The approach to get in and successfully do the surgery is restrictive and unless you have a surgeon who is super experienced in this approach I would be super cautious . 

I had posterior approach on my right hip 6 years ago, for sure a tougher surgery to recover from but by 10 weeks I was fully recovered & moving well and to this day that hip is perfect. 2 years ago my left hip needed replacing and I fell for hype about anterior approach being “less invasive.” 

In actual fact this is a very difficult approach to do successfully and my psoas was exposed to an exposed acetabular cup & excruciating bursitis followed. The upshot being 12 months after that surgery I had to have revision surgery. I’m 8 months post revision & slowly improving. 

Please scour through this site & check out anterior approach & psoas release & tendonopathy.

Research your surgeon and post on here who you decide to go with. You will get great feedback & support. 

• Posted

Good stuff.

I've had two hip replacements twenty years apart both done posterior with quick pain free outcomes and based on this abd all that I have read there is no way that I would be happy with an alternative approach.

The choice of surgeon is critical and should be based on their experience, ability and hospital records. Bedside manner should not be the way you make your choice of surgeon.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thanks Richard! I went ahead and am scheduling a pre-op appointment to get the ball rolling on this. I value all the feedback and posts I've read on this site, and there is no good reason to wait. I know I will have to have another surgery in 15-20 years.... and I do not like walking/twisting/existing in discomfort in pain.

Christine

• Posted

Dear Christine

Well done, I'm sure that you will be pleased that you made this move but do due diligence on your surgeon based on his history and results.

I see that you are expecting to be looking at a revision in 15 to 20 years. I suspect that if you do not run etc and do not carry very heavy loads you could be looking at 20 to 25 years going on how mine lasted.

Best wishes Richard

• Posted

Hi Christine welcome to the forum it's a great way to share experiences.  I had my right hip full replacement 7 weeks ago and it is the best thing I have ever done.  I am 50 now but have been suffering with hip pain for many years where it got to a point where I couldn't stand it anymore as it was affecting my home life work life and got very depressed.  I've always been very active and a keen jogger which broke my heart when I couldn't do it anymore.  I now week 7 post op and have my life back I'm doing 15,000 steps minimum now and taking my dog out for walks again.  I'm getting back to normal unfortunately advised not to run anymore but using crosse trainer for a week now and the best feeling ever is not suffering from arthritic pain in my hip.  If I'd known how good I would feel I would of asked to have replacement years ago.  Is is a slow steady progression once done but you will see improvements every week.  Don't be worried if you get to the point where your pain affects your life style then it's time to get your op done.  Best of luck to you xx

• Posted

Hi Karen, l had my hip replacement 4 weeks tomorrow, l have had pain in my hip for years, l was told was my back then last year all the scans showed my hip was the main course .Anyway l was worried about having a hip replacement, but very surprised the things you can do so quick, like standing the stairs getting into bed, first day i was with the physio walking with two sticks then the stairs plus excersies. Of course there is pain, and weird feelings but l am glad l said yes. I have had a few tears but not the last 2 weeks, l seem to stand so much better too, from what you have said Karen l would have the op good luck, early days for me but l am happy l had it done 😊

• Posted

I switched from distance cycling to using the bike to go to the gym and swimming.  Immediately before surgery I was using crutches to get to the water but once in, the pain disappeared
  • Posted

For choice of where to have it done, I'd look at the Care Quality Commission website, they rate hospitals, clinics etc. The reports make for interesting reading.

Otherwise, see my website for tips, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸    ¯\_(?)_/¯

• Posted

I had a private diagnosis (my GP said I had 100% movement) saying that I needed a hip now and I would be in a wheelchair in six months if I did not have one. A year later I was unable to get to the swimming pool and was unable to drive, in fact I was housebound.  By that time I could not wait for a hip replacement I was in so much pain. I had decided to go on the NHS and required funding etc so it took time. I think the operation was more difficult for the surgeon as I had developed several cysts and spurs. 
  • Posted

Hi Christine, Just wanted to touch base as I am in a similar position to you coming from the PRE op side of things. 

?Last year I made apointment with surgeon and was in a very bad head space regarding the whole thing. I eventually decided no I couldnt do it....I think I was hoping for a miracle to happen..maybe?

?Things settled and I thought oh this is good maybe just maybe I can get away with this not happening to me

?but things got worse...worse pain..more restrictions..more frustration.

There were other factors involved in my head space last year as I had lost my Dad which affected me big time as well so I really was all over the place.. I was very ungrounded and thats not a good place to be making decisions from anyway.

?I found a group of Yoga Therapists that I had joined quite some time ago ( I am a Yoga Teacher ) and I connected with one of them and she was/is at the same stage as me.

?It really helps to talk things through..

Fast forward 7 months and I have been to see another surgeon and am on a waiting list. Still waiting for a date.

?Mentally I am ready. I have come to terms with the fact I will have foreign matter in my body (that seemed to be my biggest problem)

I am really ready and just want to get it done now.

?I am in NZ and am on the public health system. There is about a 4 month wait list.  Once I get a date I will probably freak im sure but this pain and limited mobility is not good!

?great you have come here. Its very good of folk to share their stories.

?I am actually looking forward to recovery and my self Reiki healing sessions....well sort of!

?So I think you will know when you are "mentally prepared" ....you will just know

Feel free to email me to keep in touch....

Much love & Reiki blessings & healing to you     

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Dear cckiwi, I went through exactly the same thinking as you. I was horrified when I was told I needed a new hip and the thought of something artificial inside me made me shudder. Having to wait for funding and then being put on the waiting list made me get used to the idea. By the time I actually got to the operation I was in an awful lot of pain and could not care less about anything artificial inside me! I now lie in bed and cannot believe it is not my old hip as it seems just the same as before.
    • Posted

Yes it is amazing how one simply is not aware of it. The replacement ankle to far longer due to the very extended recovery time but after a time I had basically forgotten that I had it. Had I not had it or the hip I would have been in a wheelchair these past over twenty years instead of which I've led a full and active life.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

should be getting a date next week! so bring it on. thanks for your reply smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.