upcoming prolapse surgery and nervous about urodynamics in case I need bladder sling

Posted , 3 users are following.

I first want to thank all who have posted and shared. I was recently diagnosed w/rectocele and cystocele. I used to have stress incontinence but it just faded away over the last few years. 

I'm having surgery yet doc wants me to have urodynamics test to see if I need bladder sling. Fixing cystocele may cause the stress incontinence to return. 

My concerns: is test accurate? I did a cough test in office as doc held up bladder and test showed no leak. Yet I could not relax at all and think I kept trying to hold it. My bladder was also empty. What if I stay nervous again? I'm not a nervous person yet the circumstance lends itself to a heightened self consciousness. 

Other concern: does a bladder sling or lift (or whatever they do) make much of a difference to recovery?

Last concern: I keep thinking recovery involves resting and not lifting heavy items. I live alone, am 51, and my mom said she'd come stay with me. I can't imagine needing help for anything. What would be a help? All I can think of is laundry, but all I have to do is take a few things at a time. Sweeping up dog hair is no biggy. I don't want her coming if it's not necessary yet we do laugh a lot & laughter is good medicine. 

Thanks for wading through this lengthy letter. I haven't been able to discuss details with someone who understands. I think that's really the main reason I'm writing. This is all new to me. Right now I'm miserable. Doesn't matter if stool is loose, it still doesn't empty. And I feel ridiculous having my day revolve around my bowels! Aaarrrgggg

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if your mother is willing and able to stay with you I would accept gratefully. surprised I had no one to stay with me after prolapse surgery, just my daughter popping in and doing some laundry for a couple of weeks. I have a home help too, to do the heavy cleaning. It's not a good idea to do anything which puts down pressure on your pelvic floor after this type of prolapse surgery as it could cause stitches and scarring to burst out and re prolapse. Also, you will feel very tired for awhile after, I was told not to do anything for 4 weeks but rest as needed and I did this. Naps with feet up are recommended as and when you feel the need! My dog just went out in the garden and back in when he was ready. No long walks but walk around the house about once an hour to keep your legs and circulation going. You should receive some written advice for post op with your admittance letter. If not ask the nurses while still on the ward. Plenty of advice on this website if you go to the top of this page, click on Genitourinary Prolapse and follow all the links. Best wishes, Poll Xrolleyes

• Posted

Thanks, I appreciate the input.  I'll check it out the resources.

• Posted

Look for a post from Emis Moderator, "Useful resources"  after you have clicked above. South Tees have a good post. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.