Upcoming Testing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've recently had an ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound done to test for fibroids. I originally went to my OBGYN due to my menstrual cycle lasting 15+ days. She was sure she felt a fibroid during the pelvic exam and turns out, she was right. I found out that I have a fibroid, with the diameter being 5cm or the size of a clementine or plum. I now need to get a hysteroscopy done, which I am extremely nervous about. I have bad anxiety and it gets worse when it involves anything medical. My questions are, has anyone had this procedure before? What is it like, specifically pain-wise and how is the recovery? I'm 32 years old and getting married this year and would like to try to have my first child. I am concerned that, depending on the type of fibroid, it may not be able to be removed and I will continue having my period for half of the year, lowering my chances of being able to become pregnant and possible causing complications when I do become pregnant. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I had a hystericopy in November, they didn't give it to me until they had tried so many different pills etc first so it has been 3 years for me waiting and I bleed heavily every day. Taken to hospital twice need blood transfusions before they took me seriously. I am glad you have been put forward straight away for it! It wasn't too bad, don't worry about it. You might bleed a little after and also lose the water from there. The procedure itself is fine but I woke up and was told they couldn't remove mine and I'd need an MRI scan and tablets to shrink them as they are protruding in to the cavity, so it could be different if they do manage to remove them. I think I depends on where the fibroid is etc. Do you know what type of fibroid you have? I've had the MRI and the esmya to shrink them didn't work and am now told I have only 2 more options, Uterine arterine embolization if I am suitable or open myomectomy and tablets to deactivate my ovaries temporarily for now. I am 25 now and so fed up and we also want children so we have decided to try before taking the next step. Good luck, you will be fine and you will be allowed home the same day to relax and recover. X

• Posted

Thank you for the information! I'm sorry that you've been through so much! I'm not sure what type of fibroid I have yet. My OBGYN sent me for this procedure to determine the type. I'm wishing you the best of luck in finding relief from this!

• Posted

Hi, yes I've had one several times, with me now because of my misshapen uterus it's too painful for them to do the procedure without sedation, but generally one young healthy person it's a bit uncomfortable but lasts only a few minutes. You will bleed for a while afterwards.  At least your fibroid is small so your options are greater, but don't delay as they can grow fast.

• Posted

Thank you! It doesn't sound like it will be too bad. Hoping they can remedy this for me before it continues to grow!

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I've had a hysteroscopy with resection (but they were unable to remove the fibroid) done under general anaesthesia though. But I heard you can have it done with local. Which one are you getting. It's last just under an hour, when I woke up from anaesthesia I didn't feel any pain or discomfort, I had slight bleeding but it went away after 1 day. Please stress to your surgeon or doctor that you would like to have a copy of your results before you go home , some hospitals can even provide a CD of the video of inside your uterus.

Completely understand your concern, I have ever 3 fibroids the largest being 4.5cm and I haven't had kids yet. My advice to you is to not wait until it gets to big to act. If the fibroid is larger than 7cm in the UK you can no longer opt for a laporoscopic myomectomy, it has to be open myomectomy which will have higher risks. Everybody's fibroids grow at different rates. So monitor yours closely and then act accordingly. If you're planning to try for a baby, maybe prep your uterus beforehand by trying to shrink your fibroid with hormone therapy ie ESMYA 1 course is 3 months. In my case my fibroids have caused me to bleed out to the point that I needed a blood transfusion. So my doctor advised I remove themby keyhole surgery.

I wish you all the best

Queeni

• Posted

My initial hysteroscopy is just to determine the type of fibroid and if it can be removed or not. I was told that if it is located within my uterine wall or lining, that they will probably leave it alone since doctors do not like to disrupt the uterus, especially because I haven't had children yet. I'm uncertain of the type of anesthesia that I will be getting for this as of now. I will have more information after my consultation appointment in a couple of weeks. I will be sure to ask for any documentation after the procedure is done. I'm so sorry that you are having such difficulty with yours! I'm hoping that this can be resolved quickly for you!

• Posted

Hi Lisa i had a hysteroscopy done and it was completely painless.  It is just a small camera on the end of a probe that they insert to have a look.  It is smaller then the speculum they use to do a smear test!  I had no symptoms afterwards either but that will depend on if they do anything whilst looking!

I am awaiting another hysteroscopy and this time they will take a biopsy.

Try not to fret.  All the best

• Posted

I didnt have any anaesthesia with mine and certainly did not need it and i am a wimp when it comes to pain haha.  I didnt bleed after but wear a sanitary towel incase all the water does not come out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.