UPCOMING THR SURGERY

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, I have just been given my date for the thr operation (15th Sept). Although I am happy to finally have a pain free hip I am a bit apprehensive about the post op recovery. Reading people's posts on here has been very helpful and reassuring but I know it's gonna be a long process. I am 46 and relatively fit (ish), I stopped smoking 5 months ago and feel much better for it so hopefully my recovery will be that little bit easier. I have been told I will be off work for up to 3 months, no driving for 6 weeks etc ( which will be the hardest part!). 

I would just like to say well done to everyone on their post op recovery and keep up the good work. It's nice to know that other people have been through what is ahead for me and to say how it has changed their lives. Good luck to everyone

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mark

welcome.  I would say - understandable to be a bit nervous, but really it's a fantastically successful operation and there's really nothing to worry about.  You're young (yes!  THIS IS TRUE biggrin and you're getting yourself in good shape so these are real positives.  

What work do you do?  You might not be off for all that time, depending on what it is (and you might not want to be) - you may well be back to a decent level well before that.

I'm 4.5 weeks and am feeling great - enjoying the simple pleasures of standing up and walking around!

You'll get great support here and get really helpful answers to your q's

All the best

Neil

• Posted

Hi Mark S,

I am due my op on 7 th September, so perhaps we could compare notes.  This forum has certainly thrown a lot of light on various aspects, good and bad, and although I have done a lot of reading (perhaps too much)  there's nothing like getting the true story from people that have been through THR.  I am 67 yrs old so I would think my recovery rate  would be different than youts, although I would have considered myself very healthy and fit before my hip started to deteriorate.

Good Luck Mark.

• Posted

Hi Carole, yeah we can compare progress. Hopefully everything will go well as I am like you, I've read probably too much info. I just wanna get over it now, time seems to be dragging til op date, but, at least I can have a holiday with my better half to relax a bit. Good luck, everything will be fine. We will all feel like running in the Grand National in 12 months time!
    • Posted

I was like you Carole and Mark reading a lot before op but I'm glad I did as it prepared me for what was to come. As well as that I had people telling me that Mrs x or Mr x was driving , making family dinner, walking without crutches after 2 weeks. I would have felt useless if not for this forum. If anyone comes up with that stuff now( five weeks post op) I advise them to watch the op on YouTube. I watched it well after the event. This forum is great especially for questions about small but niggly things that you wouldn't go to a doc with. I also got a lot of good advice on things to get ready presurgery. See my post on "stuff needed" and all the follow up comments. All the very best to both of you .
    • Posted

Thank you Attractac for your comments.  I so agree with you, there is always someone who knows someone with a miracle story.  Only yesterday a friend said that he had played a round of golf with an 80 yr old who only had a HR 3 weeks previously!!  You just have to try and ignore these kind of comments, and do your own thing, otherwise it just knocks  your confidence.
  • Posted

Hi Mark,

I'm sure you will be fine, I had my first op on 25th feb, TLHR and I've never looked back. Yes it's a slow recovery but you will find little bits of progress on a daily basis which will spur you on each day.  It's well worth it, trust me. I had been living in pain since 2008 and I wish I had done it sooner.

I'm having the right one done on 25th of this month and don't feel the fear I did last time. The worst thing for me was sleeping on my back, I just can't do it so last time I ended up on my electric recliner so I'm planning to use it from day 1 this time. It was my absolute saviour! 

Little tips from people on here are worth taking as they are tried and tested. The best one for me was my hubby sticking my grabber to my crutch with strong Velcro so I was never without it. It was a godsend as at first I was always dropping the damn thing lol

I found the people and advice on here absolutely amazing when I had low days when I felt like I wasn't going forward. They will reassure you and help keep your spirits up until you come through the other side.

Take care and stay positive and you will be fine.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Mark, Im a fraction older than you at 47 now, have to say thr was the right thing for me. No pain now, increased mobilty and getting my life back to how i want.However, do be aware it is a bit of a slog this recovery, alot depends on your skeletal form now and post op and on your fitness, your willingness to exercise, your surgeon, the technique used and the implant used, and probably loads of other things ... dont worry about most, just excercise, listen to your consultant and physio, lookafter yourself and know you will get through. you will no doubt get down some days,  thats the effects of what we go through, again ...you will get through. I`m 5 months post op now and the hard days are a distant memory. You wo'n t be much of a burden for your missus or for long.. just feels like it sometimes.

Allthe best for op and recovery,Jay.

Ps regarding tips i posted a list a few months ago, off the top of my head get a draw string bag like a JD sports bag you can hang over your head while you need two crutches carying stuff aint easysmile

• Posted

Wise words Jason, and I'll just add that the first two weeks feel like an eternity. Like childbirth it's really difficult to generalise each case but it's major surgery and you have to aknowledge that.

Btw, I had a little drive yesterday (at 5 weeks) and it felt good. I only went around the block and had a snooze when I came back but like everything with this it is just chipping away at something until normal service is resumed

• Posted

Everyones recovery seems different Im 23 days since op and walking without any aids, feeling stronger every day, been driving since day 12, hope it keeps going well, 53 yrs young and good to be able to walk normally again
    • Posted

Indeed they do seem different, in terms of rate of recovery. In my case i could walk without aids at two weeks, started hip class physio and got going on static cycle to. My hip was and is great, the ligaments at my knee were rubish tho so some aspects of recovery took awhile till the knee strengh returned. Bathed at 3 wks, driving fine at 6 weeks (could have sooner but insurance requires  you are cleared by consultant), playing airsoft in woodland area at 2 months, tho knee was still bad at that point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.