Upcoming TURP surgery

Posted , 17 users are following.

i am 51 year old and for the past 3 years I am under the care of a urologist for my prostate issues. I am having difficulty urination for past couple of years with urgency, frequency, pain while starting the stream, dribbling at the end and feeling of incomplete emptying of my bladder. For urinatind at night that was between once or twice.

My first CT abdomen and pelvis in June of 2013 showed slightly enlarged prostate with calcification in the prostate. Follow up cystoscopy in August of 2013 was remarkable for partial obstruction by lateral lobes of the prostate. No trabeculation in the bladder.

My first PSA in July 2013 was 0.92.

i continued to have problems and saw urologist in June 2014 after having acute prostatitis in May 2014. PSA checked again in October of 2014 and it was 1.85.

I had few times gross hematuria in between the visits so I sow urologist again in June 2015 when another CT abdomen and pelvis with dual contrast was ordered. CT showed that my bladder was normal but indentation by the prostate was noted. Prostate was slightly to moderately enlarged and contained calcification so that were slightly more prominent than on last CT. Prostate was 3.7 x 4.7 cm and was producing indentation upon the base of the bladder that takes the appearance of an intraluminal lobulated mass. Cystoscopy was performed in July 2015 and revealed complete obstruction by lateral lobes and median lobe. No trabeculation and no abnormalities in the bladder. Finesteride was added with tamsulosin that I started in June of 2014. Urologist advised TURP what I declined.

In 2015changed my job and insurance and started seeing new urologist which is very young just completed residency. I had a lots of side effects from Finesteride and was told by new urologist to stop it. On the same visit my PVR was measured and was 223 ml. New urologist increased Tamsulosin dose to 2 pills one in the morning and one in the evening. Was scheduled to see him again in 3 months. February 2016 visit my bladder was containing 450 ml PVR. I was asked to urinate again and second reading showed PVR 354. In mid March I had my third cystoscopy which revealed obstruction by prostate "kissing lobes" and bladder trabeculation grade 1. Advised on TURP again. Had second opinion with a bit older urologist from the same group and he also advised TURP to fix my problem. On beginning of April I had acute urinary retention i

and went to ER where I was catheterized and 550 ml was evacuated from my bladder and prescribed self cath 4 times daily. 

Now, I am availing my TURP  June 1,2016.

i read on this and other forums many bad experiences and I am stressed very yah with this whole problem and upcoming procedures. Would like to hear some encouraging posts and good satisfying outcomes.

thank you all for contributing to this forum.

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get the surgery!!!   I had problems for years and was a fool to wait as long as I did.  My TURP was performed using the Redilux laser on Dec.4, 2015.  After 5 months I had scar tissue removed, but I believe that was my fault because I started lifting way too early and didn't allow the surgery to heal.  Now I'm a fire hose.  That's right, all that dribbling, straining, tamulosin, etc. is over.  It will takes about 6 weeks for you to really see the difference, but that's a short amount of time to give up for the remedy.  You are going to be glad you did this.  A lot of discussions you will read are dated.  For example, the GREEN laser is history now.  Go with the Redilux.  MUCH BETTER results.   Do the research yourself.  Remembe this.... when you wake up from surgery you will have begun your new life.  Each day you move toward more positive results.  GET THE SURGERY.
    • Posted

I'm not familiar redilux.  I searched for it but got no results.  Could you give me some links to info.

thanks

jeff

• Posted

Thanks for your kind response. Would like to get more info on REDILUX which I am not familiar with. I am glad, you had good outcome.

I hope myself for good outcome. My only concern is incontinence and impotence. Did you experience any problems during your recovery?

• Posted

So sorry.   It  is the RevoLix laser.  Check it out!
    • Posted

I had a Turp done back in 2009 and have scar tissue, also. Plus I have chronic prostatitis. My urologist told me that he can't remove the scar tissue from that area if that is what is causing the problem. My question to you is if you had your scar tissue removed sussessfully, why can't I?

Steve 

• Posted

i wish I got more responses like yours from people who already had TURP surgery and that was a reason why I started this topic to here experience from first hand. Thank you so much for encouraging response. 

I wish your TURP success last forever and you never need anything else.

• Posted

scurry had a good report.  MK, please read around on this site; there are SO MANY who suffered awful results.  I am not trying to scare you, nor am I trying to discredit scurry!  I am only pointing out that most urologists underplay the possbility of side effects.   Incontinence, impotence (inability to "get it up"), retro ejaculation---IF you should get those undesired results, there is NOTHING that can definitely fix them.  CAVEAT EMPTOR, my friend, caveat emptor....
  • Posted

Despite Scurry's opinion  PVP is still a good option and better than TURP  but Holep is even better.

PAE is probably best but not generally avaiable yet.

If your NHS? hospital only does TURP ask to be referred elsewhere as you are entitled to.

• Posted

Then you have a lot more choice than we do . Have you looked up PAE?
  • Posted

I had TURP, in Jan. 2016, I am 63 yrs old didn't have the problems near as bad as  yours are, I think the key to good recover time from turp was drinking lots and lots of water.I started drinking as soon as I could, stayed two days in the hospital, but did not come home with cath.  The only down side from the turp, might be your age and if you want children, the retrograde ejaculation took some getting used to. I void like a teenager again, and don't get up at night any more.No other problems.  Good luck, feel free to ask anything else.  I had good results.
    • Posted

Thanks Barry5353. I am glad your recovery was good and you are satisfied with the outcome. No I do not plan more children. If you don't mind the question I would like to ask is that RE really that bad as others are describing to and does it change feeling of orgasm that much?

If you prefer you can send response to my private email.

I pray and hope that my outcome will be satisfying. The bigest scare for me is incontinence and impotence. Certainly, I am young and still want to enjoy life. My wife is very supporting person and stays on my side as always especially now when I am on emotional roller coaster.

Every encouragement helps to navigate thru this time.

Thank you for your kindly response. God bless.

• Posted

MK,

Our situations are similar.  I had a PAE which helped a little.  I've chosen to continue self cath instead of having TURP.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks Arlington. I am doing self cath since beginning of April about twice a day to empty my bladder completely. In between I can urinate but can not get it all out. At the first I was horrified of doing that. It was nearly that bad as I expected. I want to fix the problem at least for couple of years and that is why I decided to go with urologist recommendation. Nothing else was offered to my but TURP bipolar. Certainly, that is very aggressive procedure with its pros and cons and I accepted it. Now, hope for good outcome and to be able to get off medications for BPH.
    • Posted

What kind of catheters are you using?  Makes all the difference in the world!  I have been cathing for almost two years, and use the SpeediCaths.  If you are using rubber, non-hydrophillic caths that may be part of your unhappiness!  :-)    Sorry if my comments are scattered; I'm away on vacation although trying to stay in touch with these discussions... Important stuff!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.