Upcoming TURP surgery

Posted , 17 users are following.

i am 51 year old and for the past 3 years I am under the care of a urologist for my prostate issues. I am having difficulty urination for past couple of years with urgency, frequency, pain while starting the stream, dribbling at the end and feeling of incomplete emptying of my bladder. For urinatind at night that was between once or twice.

My first CT abdomen and pelvis in June of 2013 showed slightly enlarged prostate with calcification in the prostate. Follow up cystoscopy in August of 2013 was remarkable for partial obstruction by lateral lobes of the prostate. No trabeculation in the bladder.

My first PSA in July 2013 was 0.92.

i continued to have problems and saw urologist in June 2014 after having acute prostatitis in May 2014. PSA checked again in October of 2014 and it was 1.85.

I had few times gross hematuria in between the visits so I sow urologist again in June 2015 when another CT abdomen and pelvis with dual contrast was ordered. CT showed that my bladder was normal but indentation by the prostate was noted. Prostate was slightly to moderately enlarged and contained calcification so that were slightly more prominent than on last CT. Prostate was 3.7 x 4.7 cm and was producing indentation upon the base of the bladder that takes the appearance of an intraluminal lobulated mass. Cystoscopy was performed in July 2015 and revealed complete obstruction by lateral lobes and median lobe. No trabeculation and no abnormalities in the bladder. Finesteride was added with tamsulosin that I started in June of 2014. Urologist advised TURP what I declined.

In 2015changed my job and insurance and started seeing new urologist which is very young just completed residency. I had a lots of side effects from Finesteride and was told by new urologist to stop it. On the same visit my PVR was measured and was 223 ml. New urologist increased Tamsulosin dose to 2 pills one in the morning and one in the evening. Was scheduled to see him again in 3 months. February 2016 visit my bladder was containing 450 ml PVR. I was asked to urinate again and second reading showed PVR 354. In mid March I had my third cystoscopy which revealed obstruction by prostate "kissing lobes" and bladder trabeculation grade 1. Advised on TURP again. Had second opinion with a bit older urologist from the same group and he also advised TURP to fix my problem. On beginning of April I had acute urinary retention i

and went to ER where I was catheterized and 550 ml was evacuated from my bladder and prescribed self cath 4 times daily. 

Now, I am availing my TURP  June 1,2016.

i read on this and other forums many bad experiences and I am stressed very yah with this whole problem and upcoming procedures. Would like to hear some encouraging posts and good satisfying outcomes.

thank you all for contributing to this forum.

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just two follow up points. (1) Urologists are like car dealers. A Ford dealer only has Fords so that is what they sell. And a urologist tends only to have the operation they were trained in, so that is what they sell. If you're like most people, you therefore shop around before you buy a car. Why not do that for your body?

(2) You have to assume TURP will leave you with retro ejaculation. If you've never experienced retro, have your doctor prescribe some Flomax (tamsulosin) and you should experience it temporarily. Some people may not mind the tradeoff, others will. But don't take your doc's word that "it's no big deal", experience it yourself and then decide. And remember, it will be permanent. 

Jim

• Posted

With my insurance, I have only 3 urogist that I can see. All three are in same praxis and perform same type of surgery. I do not have a coverage out of network. Looks like, I have to utilize what I have available. I am aware of potential side effects of TURP but I think is better than do nothing. My quality of life changed a lot for this past 2 years so I have some expectations from surgery. Risking whole health for some enjoyment in sex it is to risky.

I agree with you on both points but doing nothing would be selfishness on my side. I have wife that still needs not just for sex.

• Posted

At  the risk of ridicule....and having replied earlier, i would get the op done!! speak frankly and forcefully to the doc,about re,he may be able to oblige!! of course i did not want to lose the ejaculation flow! i do not have children, but , my wife was getting worried by retention and UTI`s,and frequent night trips to toilet, And my life was spiralling downwards, the standard TURP solved all the problems in one go! i had no other choice offered, and talking to other turp (standard and laser) veterans, nobody has had further problems! all ths best, Syd
    • Posted

Are you like some Uros calling a laser version a TURP?
    • Posted

yep, different op, same outcome....only with sztandard turp, they get to diagnose tissue samples, with laser ..nothing gto diagnose!
    • Posted

It's hardly the same operation as the TURP is a hot wire not a laser although some Uro's think they can call it that as they say it is just burning a hole.

Some laser procedures can save tissue for testing. I had a Thulium/Holmium laser procedure. One laser cut away tissue for the lab (37grams of it in my case) the other burns and smooths it all.

• Posted

ok,fair enough, i chose turp over laser.,but i imagine the end result is about the same.........re sometimes,not always!!...but a happy life and completely back to feeling like a kid again...no urgencies ,no night time peeing, and...NO uti!!!!! great stuff,
  • Posted

MK, sorry to hear but if any solace, many of us going/gone thru the same drills on BPH. Given you have a couple of weeks before TURP, I would research PAE to find out if this is an option. I did this and though catherizing, things are on the mend. Per Doc Bagla, a few more weeks before I see positive results and urinate at will. All of us are different and TURP remains a valid medical option. So does PAE. Your decision but I would chase this rabbit some more before crunch time. Am sure others will chime in with equal or different options. But you need to do what you feel is right for you. I chose PEA for the near term with TURP always an option down the road. Hope this helps. Your call Man !!!! Cheers
    • Posted

Thanks for opinion on PEA but to be honest that is the procedure I am least interested in. Would like to go with Uro lift or Rezum but my insurance does not cover neither one of them and also does not cover PEA. Per my insurance, all of the are still considered experiments with no proven track of effectiveness. So, looks like my only option is TURP. I ask about TUMT but mu urologist said it is not effective and he stopped doing it. If I cancel TURP than only option for me is CIC and catheters are provided at no out of pocket cost.

I am young and very active so I really want to fix it for good 8-10 years before I need another procedure.

• Posted

Fair enough MK. As I said before, do what is best for you. Best of luck. Cheers!
    • Posted

PAE should fix it forever as once it shrinks it will not grow again unlike the other procedures.

TUMP has never been more than a stop gap and is even more yesterday than TURP.

• Posted

Still young!  I would also vote for CIC and keeping on looking!   TURP and its effects are FOREVER; you can't fix what they break, if they break stuff.  
    • Posted

Some things to consider - even though your insurance doesn't cover any of the less invasive options now, it almost surely will in the future. A doc can also plead your case and ask for an exception. Given how young you are and how much less something like Rezum, PAE or Urolift will vast, they mighth grant it. Also, If you explain to the doc that you are paying our ot pocket, they might offer a pretty big discount. Deal with the doc directly on that in the consult - the office staff will always say no, but the doc rarely knows what they're doing.

TURP is pretty barbaric by today's standards - self cathing could buy you enough time to get something else covered and you might get enough of a discount to make one of them viable out of pocket. 

• Posted

MK, my PAE w/Doc Begala was paid in total by MEDICARE and my secondary insurance. No out of pocket payment for me. Very glad MEDICARE took care of this....food for thought.

Best ...

• Posted

Sorry MK. Doctor Bagla ( not Begala) did my PAE in Virginia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.