update.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So finally seeing someone on Wednesday.still having trouble sleeping,and still have alot of stress,anxiety and indecision,but the depression has mostly gone,but still feel down at times.still havent come to terms with all the changchanges in my life,and have another life desicion to make in the next few weeks,but have the help in place thanks to doing previous things leading up to this point.has anyone else had phycyratist appointments and what should i expect from it? Also a thank you to the people who have commented and helped keep me going with your help and support,as this has been something i could turn to and i dont know what i would have done without you.

4 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What have have to remember is that your psychiatrist is there to help you and not to make your life more miserable.

You will maybe have to confront some 'demons' that have caused you pain in your life, but this is in the interest of returning you to good health.

You will be asked the nature of your general health and about this particular problem and how it affects your life. Also, if you have any specific thoughts as to what may have caused you to be the way that you are.

After which you will be asked 'gentle' searching questions about your life past and present, to try and sort out the jumble.

When seeing a psychiatrist the best policy is complete honesty, not that you will be punished if you do not deliver it, but because it may well speed-up your recovery if you do.

• Posted

I totally agree with Archimedes about being honest, your psychitrist needs to know as much as possible in order to come to a good decision on treatment.  I was always open with my psychitrist and he was able to contruct a med regime, with a bit of trial and error, that has kept me stable from bipolar for years.

I'm sorry I didn't see your earlier posts as I've only just rejoined this group as sometimes I can't cope with all the emails the popular groups like this one and anxiety, generate.  However, I've bee though both so hope I have something to offer.

Best Wishes

Lizzie

• Posted

Hello

Yes, I have experienced psychiatric evaluation on three occasions in the last twelve years.

I won't lie to you by saying that I was looking forward to them, because frankly I was terrified of the consequences. With hindsight, I now realise that 'terror' was part of the illness and really had little to do with the appointment itself.

The last evaluation I had followed my deepest and most serious bout of depression and anxiety to date. Based on previous experience, I wasn't worried about the appointment. Actually, I was in such a bad way that I was in a permanent state of fear and terror.

What I can assure you is that a Physchiatrist is just the same as any other human being. He is the same as your GP, Nurse, or Pharmacist. He is simply an expert doctor in his field so there is no need to feel in awe of him.

When my first appointment ended (on the last consulation period), he had been so kind and re-assuring, that as I stood up to leave I had a strong urge to give the man a hug and thank him. So I did, and guess what? He just hugged me back.

I wish you a similar experience.

• Posted

Be honest to the psychiatrist they will help you you the route cause. Once you find that you will get through the hard part. You must always look forward don't look back ans be positive in ypu thinking even when it might be hard just be positive it doea work. ♡
  • Posted

All your comments have been very reassuring,thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.