Update 01/09/2018

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello again people I thought id post a quick update just over 14 months in. Compared to last year I now feel touch wood, better its been a very testing year. At points I was going to throw in the towel and give up. Now Im not saying im completely fixed because im not. Glandular fever has left me with permanent damage I now have an under-active thyroid which im on medication for. My mental health as also been affected depression and anxiety something ive never really had. Sometimes rear their ugly heads. Let me say this though anyone who is newly diagnosed with this horrific virus, you need to rest, you need to keep strong and you need to be very patient..

Also I was interested to hear the cyclist Mark Cavendish has been diagnosed with glandular fever and he has quit cycling temporarily.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi jelley, 

its been about 19/20 months for me now.

i know someone who is now on thyroid tablets for life because of glandular fever. But they are completely better now.. I'm really sorry to hear you too have this and that you suffer from depression and  anxiety. Like you say, I have NEVER suffered with the that before but when I have down days, my mood is horrible.

id say I'm pretty much back to normal, about 99% I just need to not keep having little set back days.🙄

Just have to keep going!!.  Interesting to hear about mark cavendish. He'll have the best help probably.

nice to hear from you.

caroline x

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

Sorry to hear that you still have down days. 

I’m glad that you are almost 100% though!! Remember that the down days will stop coming for you! Your so close to the finish line, just hang in there and remember that you will be FULLY back, and better than before. 

Thinking about you!!

• Posted

Thank you young boy, kind words and encouragements mean so much. I know you feel like you're not getting on great right now but things will turn around for you too. 

Thanks again and thinking about you too and your recovery, because it will happen xx

caroline x

• Posted

I just wanted to make an observation which I'm sure others on the site would agree with!!

Everyone on the site has been through such a hard time with the virus, but wanted to make a special mention for how admirable and courageous Young Boy and Dominika have been - two young people that have shown strength, wise words, kindness and goodness to others despite dealing with such a hard time themselves. You can't control this illness I know but the way you have both responded has been excellent and I still truly believe as young adults you have lots of healthy and happy times ahead beyond what's been happening lately with this virus. 

Thinking about you both and believing God has a great and good plan ahead for your lives - you have so much to look forward too still, so keep that in mind and know that this won't last forever and that things WILL get better for you both. I really do believe that!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig/ Caroline

Thank you guys for the great words and encouragement. Craig you have been on hear helping everyone so much even though you have been struggling yourself with your back pain. 

And thank you to Caroline, I’m hoping and knowing that you will get back and better than before you got mono and you will stop having these small setbacks. 

Things have been going in a bad direction for me so I am so worried I have CFS. 

But Thank you guys for the great messages. Still thinking about both of you!

• Posted

Thanks Young Boy,

I would love it if everyone on this forum could say a prayer for you today as I know you have been so worried and experiencing such a hard time. Please everyone say a prayer for Young Boy's recovery.

I will keep praying too and want you to know I still have faith in God that He is going to pull you through this and make you fully well again - even if it takes a little time still, it IS going to happen I truly believe that. Hang in there my friend, each day for now just take things slow and don't put pressure on yourself or expect anything of yourself - it's so important you be kind and understanding to yourself right now, God knows how hard things have been and He is going to be by your side and strengthen you and work things out for your good. 

Craig

• Posted

Hi Jelley,

It is good to see a post from you, and pleased to hear that you have seen some improvement, goodness it sounds like you've been through the mill and such a tough and long road. I really want to reassure that things do continue to get better over time, after 14 months I was in recovery mode too but still quite fragile physically and mentally with my confidence too with what I'd been through, but things do get stronger and better as time goes on want you to know that and know that this thing can't harm you anymore the way it has in the last year or so - God willing you won't have to experience anything like this last 14 months again, and that Year 2 can be a liberating one and year of recovery! Believing that thanks to God who blessed Year 2 to be like that for me. 

So sorry to hear that you're having this thyroid issue too, hoping that with the right medication they can keep on top of this. I have a friend who has that too but he keeps well and active and a full lifestyle thanks to getting the right type and dose of medication - it took him a little while to find the right level with that, but once they find it I think it makes all the different. Hoping the doctors and giving the right help and support with this, and thinking about you.

Yes I seen that too this week about Mark Cavendish. I remember when I was going through mono reading stories about some high profile people who had been through the virus and about their recovery - it helped me knowing that sports people and things could get back to full health after this. One book that helped me too was reading 'Viruses, Allergies and the Immune System' by Jan De Vries, some lots of good tips in there and can be picked up on Amazon quite cheap. 

Hoping for a settled period ahead for you Jelley, goodness knows you deserve it and remember things are going to keep getting better from here on in!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Jelley,

thank you for sharing your update, I think it’s a good idea to take note of your progress each month. 

Its great that you re feeling much better than the previous year, despite having an ongoing thyroid issue from mono. The things this virus does can really test our patience, but I think in the end most of us will come through the other end as better people because of it. 

I know i have been completely shaken by the mental symptoms just because my body was under so much stress dealing with the physical symptoms. I’m getting better and my energy is more consistent but I still have moments of anxiety and pounding heart each day. These moments seem to come on for no reason and it’s very frustrating, but these episodes aren’t nearly as bad as before so I’m hoping that as I get better and better, this will go away. 

Hope that things will keep going well for you and take care! 

• Posted

Hi Jelly. Thankyou for your update. Im so glad to hear that you are starting to feel better. It is a long and tiring road, but Im sure we will all be better people from this horrible experience. Im curious how your energy levels are going and if you were an energetic person prior to falling ill?. Reason for asking is that prior to this horrible virus I was really sporty and Im currently really missing it. Im starting to think after 11 month Ill never be able to get back to it. Thinking of everyone daily and wishing you all better days. Thanks 💕

• Posted

Hi Sweebee,

I was the same as you a sporty person before taking the virus, I did a lot of long distance running, football, all sorts really. The way I felt during the virus I thought I would never get back to anything like that again - but want to reassure you that your body resilience does fully return with time, and although like you I wasn't fit enough to do any sports within the first year, I did get back to doing all of the activities I did before with some time. It did take me a bit of time and it's wise to allow yourself time just to live a normal active life again when feeling better first before jumping into any sports, and it's the confidence as much as anything in your body holding up. 

But that will all come back Sweebee, that was my experience anyway, and still thinking about you and hoping you are feeling not too bad at the moment and are seeing some improvement - you ARE going to get there, I really believe that thanks to God!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.