Update 12 weeks post surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all. 

Just posting to let you know how I am at 12 weeks.

I  saw a gynaecologist today ( not the one who operated on me as it was a new referral) ... this was because after surgery at about 5 weeks I noticed a small bulge outside. It's appernetly a urethaceole but nothing really to worry about and doesn't really need to be operated on. It wasn't caused by my surgery...

So... my surgery has been successful! after all that worrying about the bearing down feeling, terrible pain in my buttock and sciatica and always wondering if the repairs had reverted ( then getting an abscess and worrying if it would recur ... but all is well , in fact he says "perfect". Just to recap , I had rectocele, enterocele repairs and sacrospinious fixation. It seems my stitches from the rectocele have already dissolved. My permanent stitches from the fixation are still there. 

I'm in no pain now and I am going back to the gym this week. I have been told to build up to normal gym workout over the next 6 weeks. I have been doing my own exercises at home since week 8. Nothing involving my stomach and abdomen though. 

I have also had sex (first time week 10) and I don't even need to use lube or coconut oil. It is better than before ... takes longer but I get a better end result! 

So , I'm very happy. I am still avoiding lifting heavy things , not picking up full bin bags etc... and I will avoid high impact gym classes and exercises like stomach crunches and full planks, probably for ever. Also I am avoiding jogging. Now I do lots of walking as an alternative.  I do get physically tired a lot, but I think this is from 3 months of relative inactivity and the whole first month lying down due to the awful sciatica and buttock pain from the fixation. 

Also ... I'm doing my pelvic floor exercises 3 times a day. Yes, it's a pain, but I'm taking no chances! 

So ... I was in such a desperate state for the first 4 weeks. The worst pain I've ever had , but ladies... there really is light at the end of the tunnel! You will get better if you can be a patient patient! 

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

So pleased to hear you are feeling better. It's good to read a positive post. I'm due to have the same op as you with additional perineum repair later in the year. I know it's going to be tough as I've previously had an AR but this will be much more! I'm booking at least 8 weeks off work.

I hope you continue to recover well & take it easy at the gym!

• Posted

Delighted to hear how well you're progressing. The pain you suffered initially seemed so dreadful I truly didn't think we'd ever hear good news! 

Enjoy the rest of your life, and do as you say...take it easy in the gym!

• Posted

So glad to hear you are doing so well cazinbed, please continue to be very carefull an progress slowly at the gym.

Phyllis x👍💕

• Posted

Thanks Phyl... I will be careful and avoid exercises on that area and height impact classes. Thanks for your support on here ... it really helped me to get through the really hard times x

Wishing you are continued recovery and good health 

Caz 😇

• Posted

Your welcome cazinbed it's good to know that support is appreciated , I know I was the same ; unfortunately didn't know about this forum first time but it's was so good to have the support of all the lovely ladies on the forum during my second repairs. It also keeps me in line as I remind others I also remind myself to be careful too.

Hope your recovery continues to be positive.

Take care

Phyl x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your post. I am seeing my consultant on Monday to discuss serger for rectocele and cystocele. Surgery in October. Dreading it but no choice. Also have ME and FM so concerned about recovery rate. You sound so upbeat Cazinbed! Wishing you a complete recovery quickly 
  • Posted

Hi Caz. I'm so pleased to hear your surgery has all worked out in the end, after all the pain you suffered initially. 

I'm at a real stand still with my recovery, I did so well for the first six weeks, little pain, mobile walking very comfortably but still getting leaks; my main reason for opting for surgery. I'm now about 16 weeks post op and still have no positive effects from the surgery. 😪?? I am still terrified of leaks, have constant pressure in my bottom, haven't been allowed to return to my usual exercise routine, although I can swim and cycle, can't lift my granddaughter and am at the stage of now wishing I'd not had the surgery. So, so disappointed. I am seeing my consultant on September 23rd, I had my surgery on May 4th.

😩😥

• Posted

Hi Sheila

I'm really so sorry to hear that. I couldn't have the cystocele repair as surgeon said it would be too much in one go and would make me too tight.  I must admit my leakage feels worse since the surgery but I'm trying to live with it. I will have to have that done at some point. However , I've never had any feeling of pressure other than from the post surgery healing. I wonder what that is you can feel? Do you think it hasn't worked? Surely your appointment in September isn't the first time you will  see the surgeon post op? 

Caz 😇

• Posted

Hi Caz. I wasn't due to see my surgeon until August 12th but did manage to get an appointment at about 8 weeks. She said that everything was OK but it was too early to tell whether all had worked. She said my three prolapses, cystocele, rectocele and uterine prolapse were all really bad, so they need to heal fully. Until then she can't assess my bladder and leaking. 

I'm sorry to hear you're still leaking, I'm dreading that being worse than before. 

• Posted

Hi again,

I've read on here some women saying it took a year to heal and notice real improvement. I get lots of discharge still ... sometimes it fine then others it appears for no reason that I can see . It's very yellow with orange bits in it! Also a burning sensation when I get it. I think I was so elated when I was told last week the repairs are still in tact ... I had thought they weren't... but I don't feel much different than before the surgery ... I'm just so glad to be pain free as I thought I was dying, especially in the first few weeks. I too wonder if this is all worth it. I think we need to carry on being patient and wait for that magical year before we can fully assess?

I do hope you get to feel some improvement. It's such a shame about your grandchild ; not being able to lift them... I'm not quite there yet with my boys but I don't think it will be far off.. I know I'll be restricted in the same way 😥 Us ladies; we endure a hell of a lot! 

Caz 😇

• Posted

Thank you for your replies, it's a long old road to recovery isn't it?

On reflection the surgery was the easy bit. ??

I think the pressure in my bottom maybe piles, who'd have ever thought they could be a consolation!! 😳

• Posted

Cazinbed - how are you feeling?

Can I ask, now confirmed I do need surgery , has anyone here had their op via epidural? My consultant muted this as normal. I have no issues other than the total embarrassment of being awake! 

I hope all you ladies are getting stronger by the day. 😀

• Posted

Hi paddiwhack

I had my surgery, vaginal hysterectomy, sacrospinous fixation, anterior and posterior repair with a spinal block. Like you I was surprised but I was reassured when told I would also have sedation. 

This meant I was 'asleep' throughout and knew nothing at all, so don't worry!

You will wake up without any after effects, be able to eat and drink straight away and not have the potential wooziness attached to anaesthetic. 

So no embarrassment, just a deep deep sleep! 

• Posted

Cazinbed

Thank you so much! You have out my mind at rest 😀😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.