Update 3 weeks after ORIF - still more mental than physical!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay, 3 weeks after surgery and I am now in a full cast - bit disappointed to hear that I would not be given a boot today. Doc said all looks they way it should, but they want it in a hard cast for 2 weeks to allow skin time to heal and also give ligaments more time. So it was good news mixed with disappointing news all at the same time.

Of course, right after getting back after my much anticipated visit and getting some good news that all looks good, I was sitting outside throwing the ball with the dog who decided she would jump up and of course landed right on my foot and the whole leg twisted (luckily in the full cast). Clearly this was not the greatest feeling... so my questions are 1. has anyone else had something like this occur? 2. Did you have any issues because of a situation like this? and 3. Is it just me or is it very much so a mental thing?...no matter how bad the little twist or bump I assume the worse.

Thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

I have backed into walls with my foot on the scooter a few times with the splint on, had my cat attack my foot because of the ace bandage, woke up with another cat on my leg on the elevator pillow asleep (how did I not know???) and just today, on my first day with the boot on, put more weight than I wanted on my foot trying to get onto my folding lounge chair (Vitamin D therapy). Since you have your cast on, your leg is stable, so I doubt you need to be worried. If the pain gets worse, you swell up a lot, or something that goes beyond what you have experienced in the past few days, then I would worry and call your doc. Actually, if you feel in your gut you should call, then call. Otherwise, my guess is you're likely fine.

And yes, I totally get the mental thing! It is always my first thought that I ruined my recovery and will have to start over. Every. Time.

• Edited

Yes @gina01213 the idea of having to start over is weighing on me daily and it scares the crap out of me!!! Thank you for your note and I agree - I think it is just a mental thing and I'll need to suck it up a bit!

• Edited

A little about me. I had a trimalleolar fracture 2/14/2019. Months of discomfort, going for pt which is a must, started back to gym/spin Jan. 2020. I always knew that I would have metal removed. Had that done on 3/02/2020. Today 3/10/2020 had surgical staples removed and life is good. I am in a boot and will start pt for 8 weeks next week. I already know this was an excellent move and I'm happy I did not wait to have the plate and screws removed. My bone has healed perfectly as seen in x-rays at the doctor's office. The stiffness I experienced even after a year was from the metal in ankle. Right now I am feeling no stiffness and hope it continues. I am so grateful to be feeling this well.

I had a cast on my leg for more than a month then a boot. The cast definitely protects your injury. Elevate as much as possible. It is surely a mental thing and will get better. Good Luck!

• Edited

@jessica71699 thank you! 100% agree - I need to toughen up mentally to get through the next couple of months!

• Edited

the first 4-5 weeks very mentally challenging

I became very depressed

Thats how I found this forum

Your friends mean well and say stuff like "oh it will get better and you will be back to normal" If you've never broken your ankle, leg, foot or anything else you just dont get it

So yes, its a real mental journey

To your other concern I was on my crutches (which I hated and never mastered), and my crutch slid on a wet surface and my casted leg slid to the left and i fell forward I figured Id screwed up something but fortunately I didnt Just had a nice bruise but all healed just fine

Hang in there It does get better!

• Edited

@sandra91776 thank you! I agree every time there is even the slightest bump, twist, etc... I am concerned I messed something up and will have to start over! Just need to relax a bit and let the body heal!

• Edited

@nayr hi hun

i think if your not in alot of pain you should be ok .

thank god you had your cast to protect you.

do uou have major swelling ?

I would call your doctor to ease tour mind though .

best of everything i pray your ok

• Edited

No swelling and no pain (well the typical amount of pain) this morning. I agree...the cast definitely kept everything in order, it was just the sensation that she had push my foot over and natural reaction was to keep the foot straight. I'm usually not so crazy and I've had plenty of other surgeries...but the ankle so far has been the most wear on me mentally.

• Edited

im glad your ok.

yes for me too , this surgery is by far the worst one ever . people underestimate the healing and pain process and think its not a big deal .

but we know 😦.. hope your feeling better everyday and getting stronger 😃

• Posted

Hi Nayr,

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Hope all is well!! Sending you healthy and healing vibes!

Gina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.