Update

Posted , 9 users are following.

As in my previous posts, I am dealing with peripheral foot neuropathy. I had to stop Lyrica after 2 months because once I increased the dose to 300 mg., I had severe muscle pain in my legs. I am using a heating pad which helps a bit.

Today I received bad news. My best friend has aggressive thyroid cancer. I am going with her tomorrow to see her surgeon to discuss options. An hour after I received this news, my feet went from mild burning to severe burning! My question is can stress cause this to happen? I wish I could take medicine to help me but I have so many drug allergies, I am afraid to try something else.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Stress can cause you to feel pain in general. However, I can't find anything about stress triggering neuropathic pain. I get anxious and stressed easily but it doesn't cause my neuropathy to flare up. The only thing that triggers it for me is cold, damp weather, but of late the cold hasn't affected it for some reason. Everyone is different and has their own individual trigger for their neuropathy. I also wish there was a medication without side effects that you could take as and when required for neuropathy and was guaranteed to work. However, as far as I can see, there isn't one of that description. Your best bet is to try conventional painkillers and keep using your heating pad. Sometimes, conventional painkillers work for me. There is no cure for neuropathy and no 100% reliable drug treatment either. All you can do is to find a solution that works for you. Even if the heating pad works only a little bit, it is still better than nothing.

Since you have drug sensitivities, medication is obviously not for you and isn't worth pursuing. I am the same. I have decided to accept and live with my neuropathy and this makes it easier to deal with. Try distraction techniques such as a hobby and see if light exercise such as walking helps to improve nerve conduction.Trying to distract your mind away from your symptoms may help to relieve them.

• Posted

IF ITS LEGAL WHERE YOU LIVE MAYBE TRY CBD OIL FROM HEMP. SO SORRY YOU ARE IN SUCH PAIN. I ALSO HAVE PN AND DEAL WITH CHRONIC PAIN 24/7.I MEDICATE WITH OPIATS AND ACCEPT THE SIDE EFFECTS. CANT FUNCTION WITHOUT THEM . ITS SUCH A DIFFICULT JOURNEY? MY BEST WISHES ARE WITH YOU.

• Posted

unfortunately, stress can definitely cause it to hurt more. Am not sure what you can do about it, but try to not let it bother you too much. I know that its very hard, and perhaps some type of relaxing techniques you could learn via the internet or by a professional. Possibly a hypnotist could help you to relax, and i realize its hard to learn , but its a necessity for your pain.

• Posted

yes i have had this. i have nerve pain in lower back/ legs. It does get hot under stress. I gabapentin for 2 years. trying to get off. my lower back very hot if I am sitting and am stressed. our cat got sick and all my nerves spazzed all over my body. i am not sure if gabapentin is the cause. it is similar to lyrica.

i sit on ice packs to stop nerves burning. good luck to you

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your friend Maryann,

I maintain that pain is pain whether physical or emotional. I have constant foot weakness which turns into pain which can be burning, sore or pulling, also with horrible gnawing back pain sometimes every other day. I'm sure the two are related but to what extent I don't know.

My emotional pain stems from the physical symptoms evolving over 3 years without any health worker able to help or even try to puzzle it out with me. The other area of emotional pain I have compounds this pain - an elderly mother who is 100% focused upon her health at the expense of all others. I can't take the extra burden as I can't manage my own very well. Emotions and pain follow the same neurological pathways I think(or something like that) and that is why drugs to help anxiety or depression are often used for physical pain and vice versa.

Sending you empathy for your feet and hope for your friend. Hope tomorrow turns out a little better for you than today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.