Update

Posted , 8 users are following.

Thought I would give an update as to what happened at my first consultant appointment 8 weeks after ankle surgery just for anyone who is going to an appointment like this and is worried about what happens as I was. The Consultant asked how things were going and explained that two of the pins in my ankle may break when I start to full weight bear which was a bit worrying but apparently this happens a lot. Usually prior to the corona virus they would bring me in and take the pins out but now because of the risk of catching corona virus they leave them and if they break and cause discomfort or pain in my ankle they will then go in and remove them. After the chat with the consultant I was sent for an xray and spoke to the consultant again after who said all was good so I can start taking my boot off when resting but when walking have to have my boot on as my ankle will feel weak without the support of the boot. I will start partial weight bearing working up to full weight bearing. So now it's physio and back to the consultant in 6 weeks time. I will need a future operation to remove the two screws. I am a little worried about the screws maybe breaking on full weight bearing but other than that it went well. I hope everyone is doing well with there recovery. Julie (UK) 😊

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry about the screws breaking, here in the US the standard of care is to leave them in forever. I have 9 for life, and I'm over two years out from surgery. If you think about a screw in general not in the body, they would be real tough to break. Good luck, just takes some patience and your life will be on track the way it was.

• Posted

Hi I honestly thought the screws would stay in for life as no one mentioned about them having to come out untill yesterday.Thank you for your reassuring message. That's the best way to think of it. Have a lovely day. Julie 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your words of confidence about the screws. I'm 10 weeks from my ORIF with a plate and 12-13 screws. It makes me nervous. I'm walking in a boot now and go back in a week for the follow up.

• Posted

Julie

I had long stabilizing screw removed back in January It was a very simple procedure.

The rest of the screws in bone in my ankle will stay Sometimes they feel like they are irritating One in particular sticks out a little.

I know my surgeon didnt want that stabilizing screw to break. When I went 25% WB he told me to be very careful in the boot when I put pressure on the foot. Thankfully all went well!

• Posted

Hi Sandra thanks for your reply. I would prefer that the screws didn't snap honestly but with the coronavirus they I think are putting off bringing people into hospital. The consultant did say its common for them to snap on full wb. I have 4 screws two will stay in permanently. I am worried honestly especially when I begin part wb. The physio is coming on Thursday and is going to start trying to get me light wb. I checked with the consultant and he said if they did snap they would be OK but if they cause me pain they would take them out which is a simple procedure but I don't see the consultant for another 6 weeks so now it is making me cautious to wb. When you had your pin removed did you have to go into hospital or was it day surgery. Any information about the procedure would be very helpful to me as the mind thinks all sorts when you don't know. Thank u. Julie

• Posted

Julie

Because my ankle was totally unstable (broke bone in 3 places as well as opposite side), a stabilizing screw was put in through my ankle from one side to connect the other the rest of the screws are in the bone on outside of my ankle that broke in 3 places

The stabilizing screw comes out once the ankle is healed because it limits your ROM.

The procedure was done at surgical center right at my doctors office

I went into surgery at 7:15am and by 9 am I was done and out of there. I did have to wear boot once again for 2 weeks.

My husband and I went for breakfast and I came home and took it easy for rest of the day.

Now the screws in the bone stay although some people do get them removed if they are bothering you.

My ortho said thats a little more involved Hope this helps to explain it

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply and the information. The two screws that would be removed in mine I think are stabilising screws temporary screws the other two are permanent I think but I am hoping they don't cause me too many problems for the moment. It sounds quite a simple procedure so my mind is put at rest so thank you for that. Its always good to have a little bit of information to reassure you. Julie x

• Edited

Hi Julie

I cannot believe what you are saying my Dr never mentioned screws breaking I just started my 8 week but I don't see him till the end of June .

I do take my boot off when resting this is just to much I am so done .

This is worst that has happened to me cannot believe it like I will never be better

take care

Ann

• Edited

Hi Ann I didn't know that they could snap either. I was told after the operation by my consultant all went well and I had 4 screws fitted and they would stay in. So I was surprised when I went yesterday and he told me two would have to come out. Please don't let my experience get you down. This is in my area and with my consultant so they may be different. The last thing I want to do is worry anyone. I know how tough recovery is one thing after another but we have to be strong and take one thing at a time. Please don't be disheartened. Julie x

• Posted

I've been walking in a boot for 3-4 weeks now and progressed from the 50-100 % weight bearing. I go to my 11 week check up next week. I think it will be standard for the hardware to stay in (plate and 12 screw).My first 6 weeks of no weight bearing were terrible and depressing, using a walker. I'm 52 years old.Many things worry me. Ankle is still swollen.

• Edited

my surgeon never mentioned screws might break either.

• Posted

Hi I am in the UK and I didn't know either but my consultant did want to warn me that there was a chance on full weight bearing that two of them might snap. I was given a choice to have the screws taken out but he couldn't say when it could be done because of the corona virus and the risk of catching the virus or leaving them and seeing what happens knowing that if the two do break I will be able to get them taken out. He did say it happens and wanted to warn me. All the best with your recovery. Julie

• Edited

Hi Julie

Thank you I will try not to worry take care be safe

Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.