Update: 9 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

I figured I would put up a positive post on how I am doing. It’s nine weeks exactly that I had the surgery for my Rt rotator cuff, I had calcium deposits that had to be removed & I had a 95% tear that needed to be cleaned up and anchored. 

The first 2 to 5 weeks were the worst pain. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t do anything. The pain was excruciating and I cried constantly. I seem to have turned a corner where the pain is not bad and I’m able to sleep, drive, & do many things. 

One thing I noticed that helped me that i want to share was to not sit around and wallow and watch TV. I had a hard time not being active because I am extremely active normally. 

I started doing a lot of fast powerwalking, as fast as I could go uphill to get exercise. The more I move around the more my soreness went away. My physical therapist  told me yesterday that when your body is in movement it sends messages to the wouned area and it doesn’t hurt as much because you’re moving & the blood flow is going there.

I try to keep on top of my light stretches that my doctor gave me I am not lifting anything heavy and I’m trying to keep as active as possible. One thing I noticed is my neck was always out. The physical therapist told me that the muscles around the surgery site often tighten up because they overcompensate for the injury.   So I was massaging with a lacrosse ball constantly, putting it on every area, up against a wall and doing squats so I’m rolling up and down the wal with that ball on every spot that was tight around the surgery area. Under my armpit, my wing bone, my upper shoulder near my neck, anywhere that was sore  I did it every two hours all day. My PT told me yesterday that’s probably why I’m healing quicker because I’m  loosening it up so blood flow can get there. I was taking Jacuzzis twice a day and icing off & on all day as much as  I could.

No sudden movements just stretches as per my Dr.

I’m better everyday and hope to be healed completely within a couple months!

Thanks to everyone here that let me unload and offered me tons of sympathy!

I’ll keep reading other posts but this will probably be my last post here!

Good luck to everyone!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I'm not sure if I am going to face surgery or not. I do know I have a bone spur on my acromion bone, the Dr calls it "thickening". I had an MRI done Monday and see the Dr Friday to go over the results. I also know I am losing more and more range of motion. I hope, if I need surgery, I will do as well as you.

• Posted

Victoria good luck with that. I am very fortunate to live in Santa Barbara California ,  where one of the top shoulder and knee surgeons works. Dr. RYU Teaches seminars, is written up in medical journals, because of his perfection of surgeries on these parts of the body. He didn’t even need to do an MRI he did an x-ray looked at it, saw the bone spur asked me where the pain was and I showed him and he said “an MRI is not needed I know exactly what’s wrong”.

He said he didn’t know how bad the tear would be until he got in there.

But once he got in there he told me the next day it took another 45 minutes because the tear was 95%. He’s very conservative with his movements post-op too, and I had to stay in my brace for 6 weeks 24/7. 

Honestly that was the worst part of the whole thing, pain was secondary. He does a lot of famous athletes from all over the world that come here to see him. He’s got pictures autographed all over his office. So he’s very good at what he does. I’m extremely fortunate. I think the doctor you choose makes all the difference on recovery.   

• Posted

I had the MRI and it basically came back I'm ok. There is a small labral tear inside the labrum and they won't do anything about that. The bursa is somewhat inflamed and that's about it. But, I still hurt. He said to rest my arm for 2 months and see if that helps. If not, they can remove the bursa. Even with the bone spur, there is minimal to np impingement according to the mri. I'm both relieved and frustrated. This is now starting the 5th month of pain.

• Posted

Victoria, I cannot even imagine living with pain for that long. I’m on my ninth week with the pain getting less each day. But it’s still an eche and I just hope for a day I can wake up with zero pain. I can’t even imagine what you’re going through. I am so so sorry. Have you thought of getting a 2nd- 3rd , opinion from other ortho doctors? Maybe Google them and find somebody that’s well-known and has a really good rating? That would be my suggestion to you.

Also I have heard recently about stem cell repair. Not sure you would qualify for this but that would be another thing to look into? 

• Posted

Hi, may I ask your age please ? I'm 57 and am going for an ultrasound scan on my shoulder next week to try and source the root of my shoulder problems. Not sure what to expect at my age. Thanks.

• Posted

Hello zap-

I am 59 years old. I tore this rotator originally about 10 years ago. And then I retorted completely pulling myself out of a boat of all things, in Hawaii, the end of November. Everybody told me it’ll be 12 months to 14 months to heal. I just think everybody’s different and being active and massaging the muscles around helps a lot. 

• Posted

I know this post is 3 years old but I came across it and I feel hope. I am 9 weeks post-op and I still have no relief. I had a torn labrum in 2 spots, my rotator cuff debrided as well as a bicep tear fixed. I was injured at work last October and worker's comp fought me for months. Because of that, I will be lucky to get 80% function back in my bicep and I am only 33. The longer you wait for a bicep repair, the harder the recovery is. As you said, don't sit and wallow. Guilty here! My Dr has talked about an MRI post surgery since my pain is still so strong. I will try to be more active! Thank you for this post!

• Posted

Thank you for this inspiration! I've just done my second shoulder. I feel like my first was easier. I started working out again too. The wallowing is the worst. I feel inspired by your words and will take them to heart. About to dig out my lacrosse ball right now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.