Update about how I'm dealing with PHN

Posted , 5 users are following.

Although I am still struggling to maintain the balance that will make this nerve pain bearable so that I can regain my life, I am coming to realize how much anxiety, stress and negative thoughts contribute to PHN. I am still experimenting with the right combo of over the counter meds that ease my pain. I still am avoiding prescription pain killers because I don't toleterate drugs well. I agree with so many of you that diet plays a big part in helping the body heal and lessen nerve pain. But, most of all, I now realize how anxiety, worry and stress cause my nerve pain to become worse. For a few weeks recently, I was feeling better, my nerve pain was becoming tolerable. I started to imagine a future again for myself. Then, suddenly, my nerve pain was back with a vengence. I tried to think of what could be making the pain worse and I realized several recent problems occured in my life to cause my stress and anxiety to get worse. Because of the anxiety, I wasn't eating as well or sleeping as well as I had been. I came back here to the discussion forum to chear myself up because I was beginning to get pessimistic again and started having panic attacks. After reading some of the new posts here, I feel better. I know that I can make it and live a productive life even with PHN, if I don't let negativity, stress and anxiety control my thoughts. It's a struggle, but the truth is that the mind and our thoughts really do play a major part in our pain management and in controlling PHN pain. 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There are new biologicals designed for nerve pain,check with your doctor.
    • Posted

What are the biologicals? I haven't heard of any. However, aren't those really expensive? We have no drug plan and a $17,000 family deductible, so I won't even consider them.

• Posted

Babs,

The so-called immune modulated therapy biologics (DMARDs) increase the risk of Herpes Zoster, and are not used in the treatment of Herpes Zoster. They suppress the immune system....

(As far as I am aware)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.