Update about to do a series of testing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I seen a endo yesterday and I have days of testing ahead of me.

Day 1-

a.m acth plasma

Cortisol plasma

Insulin

Prolactin

Day 2-

24 hr urine cortisol

Day 5-

8am, 5pm, 11pm saliva cortisol

A few days later a dexamethasone 1mg at 11pm and saliva 8am cortisol.

Hows this series look? I was wondering if saliva would show same as plasma after the dex test...and Is there foods to avoid and should they be avoided throughout the entire testing process?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lissy,  I cannot help much re the saliva tests as for some reason I never had them.  I am hoping that other members of the group will be able to answer better.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, I just completed all but the dex test..so now I am anxiously awaiting the results!
  • Posted

Hi lissy. I'm not much help I don't think, but I've done all those tests or at least something similar, an I thought it was to confirm that I had Cushing's. Apparently in the hospital I was in they need 3of 5 tests to confirm Cushing's. An those tests ur doing are what I did. Then I was sent for MRI of pituitary an ct of adrenaline glands.

I don't think there any foods u need to avoid. But if ur on medication for blood pressure etc ask them if it ok. I couldn't imagine there is a problem either though. Sorry I'm not much more help.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I hope to get my results asap been sick for too long. Recently went bathing suit shopping and I was pretty much in shock that my body is so different than what it was my entire life. I hope if the tests show something the mri or ct scan comes quickly. The fatigue is something I will power myself through since my body has zero energy all mental drive. How is your progress have you had surgery already?
    • Posted

Keep ringin and asking for results. If I hada sat back and not did that I would still b waiting to be seen/tested!

I'm exact same, I've went from a size 10/12 to a 16 in about a year. I was exercising an eating well An weight still piled on, I couldn't understand it. Now I do, as it the Cushing's that has done it. Don't fight the fatigue though, listen to your body when it tired cause you'll do yourself more harm than good. I know how u feel, sometimes all I do is go out an maybe go for a coffee An my body then tells me it exhausted and I've literally done nothing. I'm a nurse and woulda worked near 7 days a week. Cause I do love my work. Now I couldn't even do a hours work. I'm so tired an sore, the back pain is terrible. I recently had the petrosal sinus sampling done, which the results did not come back to the levels they wanted to confirm it my pituraty gland. So now I'm doin 28 day urine test every day an saliva at night. Why this couldn't have been done ages ago I dunno. So I'm very cross. But I just have to do what I'm told an hope they get what they want An pass me to the surgeons. My mood is definitely affected at this stage too, either emotional or very easily irratiated. But I'm just so fed up. Like yourself I've been sick for too long now An I just want my normality life back, I can't even get in my hunkers An get back up with out clinging to something or gettin helped up. I'm 29. That not normal. There a great booklet in the pituitary foundation website on fatigue. Wrote by a fella called sammy, he an OT an a Cushing's survivor. Read it. It'll help. I do hope u get ur results soon, cause I know how annoying it all is. U just want answers An to be well again. Ur health is definitely your well!!

• Posted

Hoping your tests finally reveal something thats a long testing schedule. .but I think that's needed to catch the highs. I got my a.m blood results today and they were low normal, and it kind of got me in a down mood. I started thinking about "what if" all my results show nothing, then what?....I hope my doctor orders more 24hr urine tests if that happens or do a scan on my abdomen. I was a size 0 and now a 8 but its all stomach.😞 so I look very awkward and it's very painful on my lungs,also pushing up into my lungs. Sending positive vibes

• Posted

They haven't confirmed u with Cushing's at all yet? See those postive vibes ur sending, use them an don't think about the "what ifs", ur results WILL show something an u WILL get answers! Do u have any of the other side effects of Cushing's? The round face, acne, muscle deterioration, swollen round neck, etc? When I googled why they doin a urine cortisol test on me back in Aug 2016 Cushing's came up. I looked at the symptoms an I literally had them all! It was near the random complaints that I had an ther it was in front of me. Then I was confirmed with havin done 3 24hr urine tests an cause of my look An symptoms. An then they wanted 3 out of 5 tests to officially confirm Cushing's. An they got what they wanted. Now it tryin to figure out where. I really do know where ur comin from with ur weight pushin on u. I feel the same. It terrible. An cuz my face An neck so swollen sometimes if I try to scratch my back An cross my arm over (if u know what I mean) I cut my wind pipe off haha! But it really isn't funny. But if I don't laugh I'll cry. U need to keep pushin them if u want answers, in a nice way, but it is really is only way things will move for u. I do be ringin their secretaries to push things. An they've all been so good. I've started this test now for 28 days so until it done I may content myself, hard to do as I be so sore An exhausted. An then I get frustrated. Visicious circle! But hopefully hopefully hopefully this b last test! Keep ur chin up! I keep thinkn we are fixable, so we will b fixed, eventually, it jus takin time smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.