Update at 16 months post THR

Posted , 13 users are following.

Some of you may remember that in May 2015 I had a THR at age 44 due to OA from a ten year hip fracture.  Anyway just throught it useful to update you all on how the hip feels now after a decent amount of recovery time.  In short it is nothing short of miraculous!  Seriously I cannot believe how good the hip is - so good in fact that I do not even thing that I have a hip replacement - it simply never crosses my mind really.

When I think about what I have achieved in the last year it brings it home how much of a fantastic job my surgeon did - for example I have been away camping twice (including a two week stint just 12 weeks post op!), dug out the garden for my pool, built numerous raised beds for our allotments, shovelled tons of stones in wheelbarrows, put up stud walls in my fathers garage/workshop etc etc.  Not a peep from the hip but plenty of muscular aches as I put into action muscles that have not been used for a long time.

Seriously if you are in your younger years and keep putting it off as you feel it maybe better to wait as long as you can - don't.  Get it done ASAP so you can enjoy life while you are still young enough to.

Good luck to everyone due to have a THR in the near future - no doubting the recovery is tough but stick at it and the rewards are so worth it.

6 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mark - as noted in my reply to Kristin, I just got home after thr#2. So your timing is spectacular. Even though things are going much easier for me this time around one may have blocked out how weak I would be post-op. And how hard exercises would be at first.howeer, I am getting into the groove and into the exercises with my husband helping me to break through the resistance with judicious assists.

Your report on status at 16 months is very motivating. Thank you - for me and many others.

Rise on.

L

• Posted

Hi Linda - I had some previous experience of the op having had a dynamic hip screw fitted 10 years ago and then removed around 4 years ago - the recovery is similar but not as severe as the THR.  Time does definitely dull the senses - those first few weeks post op were horrible (I had a complication with my bowels post op which meant I had to spend the first week in hospital) but the reward is worth the short term pain.
  • Posted

Good to hear that update Mark. I'm 58, and 9 weeks since my op, all going well. Hang on in there if you're in the first few weeks post op. It gets loads better, even the sleeping!

• Posted

Hi Mark, loved reading your story and happy 4u things turned out great. Im from Aust and had mine done 23rd March 16. I have always been active especially my gym work. After my op went to Rehab and fell, ended up fracturing my femur so back for another op in June. All went great but was still in pain and they found i had torn my gluetus and all muscles had detached. I am now 2wks post op after having all muscles reattached again. You give me hope that it will get better from here. Still have a little pain but I can't excerise for 6wks to give muscles a chance to stay reattached. Thanks for your story you sound great 😊

• Posted

Ouch that sounds painful!  Hopefully they will have you sorted now - take it steady and don't try and do to much, to soon as they say.  Best wishes.

• Posted

dear mark, 

good to see you back and thank you for sharing your story - well done ....

very inspirational as well for all the newbies here who just heard that they need THR surgery ... 

It has not been all that easy and you have come a long way ..

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.