Update at 9 months in

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys. So it’s been a roller coaster of 9 months. The last month and a half I started slowly progressing. The fatigue was less on waking up and the numbness and pain/weakness subsided. I could do normal day to day things and walking wasn’t a chore anymore. 

However, last week Mon-Wed were awesome. I had energy finally!! I didn’t do anything crazy either I know better. But weds night I started feeling exhausted and it progressively got worse. 

And this morning the fatigue is pretty bad and it’s hard to get out of bed. My legs and arms ache and are so weak. 

It’s so frigging frustrating. I have no idea what caused this. I’m terrified I’m regressing. 

I’ve read so many books on nutrition and supplements and it’s so overwhelming. I’ve tried diets and taking different vitamins. Right now I’m on 3,000 mg of vitamin C, coq10, adrenal support, vitamins a, b12 and d, probiotics.  I’m dry skin brushing for lymphatic support. 

I’m still waiting on my Lyme test. 

For those that recovered- did you still struggle with that awful painful fatigue this late into the sickness? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Absolutely yes! This was exactly how it happened to me.  I started feeling better at eight months for a brief window and had a relapse at nine months, it didn't last as long and by eleven months I had turned the corner. It just seems to be the course of the illness. I like to think that the immune system is getting the idea and eventually it will win.

• Posted

Oh gosh that is such a relief to hear! When I was feeling better two weeks ago I drove down to the coast with my daughter and while stuck in traffic had a total panic attack. I hadn’t had one of those since the first month of Mono. It was terrifying. I’m not sure if that set me back or what. 

I’m so glad you recovered! It really feels like it will never end. 

• Posted

Thanks for the update Lisa, it is so nice to read that you’re doing better overall. I am at the same “stage” as you but I’m month 6.. I can do many normal things now but i just feel sore and a bit flu like after. But I compare myself to 6 months ago and how I felt... there really is no comparison and as long as things continue to GENERALLY be better (heck, what’s a few icky days here and there) then I am happy. You got it Lisa! When you’re feeling a little worse, just compare yourself to the time things were real rough... I find it makes me feel more optimistic. I always find comfort in knowing the down days seem to be a natural part of recovery from mono. 

Take care everyone.. 

• Posted

You’re totally right Van. I look back to my journal entries from months ago and I’m not near that sick.  It’s just a constant struggle to not get down because this virus feels never ending. 

At 6 months I started doing better like you! I’m sure you’re on the upswing.  It’s easy to start right back up where we left off before getting sick but that seems to put me right back in bed. So taking it easy even on good feeling days seems to be the key. 

Cheers to our recovery! I’m so thankful for this forum and everyone on it. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

yes, definately!! I have suffered with fatigue right up until now. I would say at 12 months I got incredibly better and things improved a lot... Since 12 months I've still improved to the point I'm pretty much normal, I may get slightly breathless still and feel a bit tired but it's a whole lot better!! 

I gave up all the vitamins I was taking at about 12 months too.

i know how frustrating it is and I would often wonder if I would completely get better and this would go and it really is slowly going.

i saw an endocrinologist in December. So that was around the 12 month mark, and he said it would be another 6-12 months and I would make a full recovery. So it just goes to show how long it can take but keep knowing you will get better. 

I haven't done any real excercise regime yet.....all in good time, I really don't want to push things, but I do walk and swim.and all the house work etc😊

just keep doing what you can and you will improve and pick up again.

caroline xxx

• Posted

Hi Caroline! Oh man the fatigue is so awful. And so hard to explain to people who don’t know. It’s disheartening and actually painful. I get a lot of ‘just rest and sleep it off’ but sleeping doesn’t help at all. Most of the time I feel worse upon waking up. 

I’m so relieved to hear that it goes away. I know your struggle has been long. Are you able to enjoy the good days? I usually start to panic that it won’t last and then anxiety creeps back in. 

Swimming is my favorite! Hoping I can do a bit of it this summer! 

Do you feel ok when you wake up in the morning? That is the worst time for me. 

• Posted

Yeah, people don't quite get it if they haven't experienced it. It's not just simply tired, it's proper out of breath just can't do any more, and everything feels like such a struggle.

there were so many times I would get up to start the day and then after showering just couldn't do anymore and then just resign myself for another rest day🙄.

i was so nervous about doing anything in case it made me bad, but somehow slowly you do and slowly the bad days fade.

im really normal now, so I wake up good!! Before, I never knew how I'd feel or how long it would last. But now I'm pretty much 100%, maybe 96%...as van said, it's easier to look back and see how far you've come rather than look how far you've got to go.... My doctor told me this too.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.