Update from Judith93585

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just returned from my optometrist for a refraction of both eyes. I have been given a prescription for eyeglasses at-1.25 sphere and small cylinder for each eye. My optometrist is surprised I can read phone and computer screen distances as well as I do.

I expressed my concern about seeing much better with my RE than LE in real life and my interest in a lens exchange to bring both eyes to the same power. He would not recommend a lens exchange even with a small difference. He has a great deal of experience with cataract patients and believes I may get used to my new vision in time. I have a new prescription for glasses and will proceed with purchasing new lenses for my Silhouette frames which seem to last forever. He recommends simple distance lenses rather than progressives which I can wear or not as I please. He recommends I simply remove my glasses for reading phone and computer screen but will add something to the lenses for reading if it becomes necessary.

Many thanks for all your attention and support!

To be continued ...

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I am glad your optometrist did not recommend a lens exchange. His suggestion about distance glasses has the virtue of simplicity. I think he gave you good advice.

• Posted

Thanks Lynda. I like the idea of simplicity too. I'm debating now between the optical shop affiliated with the surgeon and the one I've been getting my glasses from which accepts my vision insurance. I think the former will be more lenient with redoing the lenses as necessary but also more expensive. More research needed ...

• Edited

A simple single vision lens is much easier to make than a progressive lens. They are pretty hard to mess up if the lens is coming from a quality lab like Essilor, Zeiss, Hoya, or Nikon. Ask who is making the lens.

• Posted

Judith,

I just called where I have purchased my glasses for 20 years. During this time, I have purchased the same 3 Silhouette frames, same style with the same lens, that I obviously love. The lens is light and is perfect in the frame. The lens is a CR-39 Trivex by Hoya. No problem with the lens, other than light scratches from many years of use. These frames have withstood the test of time.

• Posted

Thanks Ron. I'd be interested to know your recommendations for full frames when purchasing from a shop that carries Hoya (I remember you recommend C-39 if available for rimless frames with trivex as a second choice). Do you have any lens recommendations for ordering either full frames or rimless from a shop that carries Zeiss?

• Posted

That's funny Julie! I too have 3 Silhouettes each with the same shaped lenses! This time I'm also considering Silhouette full frame 2940 but I'll probably use my favorite rimless frame from years past. Thanks for letting me know the CR-39 Trivex by Hoya lenses have stood the test of time!

• Posted

Full frames should accept any lenses. You probably have to listen to the optical supply company if they say a certain material like CR-39 cannot be used for rimless.

• Posted

I am not sure CR-39 and Trivex are exactly the same material. There is quite a difference in Abbe number.

• Edited

This might have been better as a follow-on reply.

There are eyeglass frames with short lenses that sit high enough to see under.

• Edited

Generally speaking, due to the high risk of complications, IOL exchange is reserved for situations where there is some sort of major problem, either with the IOL itself, such as glistenings, calcifications, scratches, etc, OR there is a problem specific to how the IOL is in the eye-- dysphotopsias due to design incompatibility with your eyes, IOL upside down or dislocated, that sort of thing.

If your vision can be corrected to a satisfactory level with glasses then you are in really good shape. If a patient is very unhappy with their refractive outcome and they are myopic, then refractive surgery is preferable to an IOL exchange because it has less risk of major surgical complications.

Of course if a patient is hyperopic then refractive surgery is not an option and the only surgical fix is an IOL exchange. And also some patients are just not eligible for refractive surgery.

• Edited

My optometrist did mention that lasik or prk is generally done for subtle changes. I'm not sure I'd be a candidate with surface irregularities and dry eyes. That said, I plan to pursue the glasses solution and see how it goes.

Thanks ka!

• Posted

yes, LASIK can make dry eye much worse. I've read that while both cataract surgery and LASIK can cause dry eye, LASIK is much more likely to cause it. This is because when they make the LASIK flap they cut through more of the nerves that are important for the preventing dry eye.

• Posted

Talking about dry eyes reminds me that I have wet eyes. My optometrist had me blink 3 times between checks during my exam yesterday. I think wet eyes can be a symptom of both dry eyes and blepharitis...

• Posted

Before I had cataract surgery, my eyes would suddenly get very watery and I would have to dab them with a tissue. Sometimes they would burn too. I didn't know that watery eyes can be a sign of dry eyes. Blepharitis is usually characterized by eye redness, crusting and thickening of the eyelashes. Sometimes you can see flakes on the eyelashes. Blepharitis is sometimes related to a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis, that mainly affects the scalp. If you see white flakes in your scalp, you need a shampoo like Selsun Blue or ketoconazole or something like that.

• Edited

Thanks Lynda. Have you found something that works for dry eyes?

Prior to cataract surgery, I used the microwaveable Bruder moist heat dry eye mask which I thought was effective. Post surgery I thought the weight of the mask might possibly affect my IOLs. I also noticed that my cheeks were bright red after using for 10 minutes. That said, I decided to make a change and discovered many lightweight self heating masks now on Amazon - one just came on the market from Bruder called Eyedration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.