Update - Had Colonoscopy yesterday

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey everyone, so Tuesday I had to prep for Wednesdays colonoscopy. I was given the usual instructions of just liquids the day before and start liquid Peg prep mid afternoon. 4 litres of that god awful stuff. I know there are easier ways to do this now however because I have Afib also apparently this is the only I can do it as this preparation has electrolytes in it so I don't get dehydrated as this is important for people with Afib. Okay so I start taking this stuff yuk. Eventually I have to mix it with a bit of clear juice just to get it down. Halfway through I start feeling Bloated. Very Bloated. And your suppose to take a glass very 15 mins. So I have to slow down. I finally get through all 4 litres and of course the pooping started long ago lol. But I start feeling nauseated. Like really bad. Plus dizzy and light headed. Next thing I know I'm barfing and barfing and barfing. My husband said about 1 and a half litres came back out. Omg that was awful. Very bad experience. However I managed to take in enough prep to clear the bowel. So I went yesterday and the colonoscopy procedure went well. Apparently they use C0 now as the air of choice to expand the intestines so when you are recovering you don't fart at all. I thought the recovery area was awfully quiet for a bunch of colonoscopy patients lol. So as far as my upcoming surgery I know nothing more than before. They still don't know if I'll have to have an open, a bag, both or done through the laparoscope. But they were able to confirm there is a section that needs to be removed. I will continue to update everyone just before surgery which is May 6th. Cheers and hugs 🙂👍

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had a colonoscopy two years ago. I like you hated drinking that awful liquid. I personally dont like quash and found it really difficult to take. The Colonoscopy went well, was good to get DD diagnosed. Good luck with your surgery.

• Posted

Glad thats over for you! Don't worry so much about the surgery. MOST are done laparoscopically without colostomy unless you have had extensive abdominal surgery before. Remember the end goal is to feel better however its done. G ood luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks so much Kate for your encouragement. The problem is I've had a couple of other surgeries years ago. I had an ectopic pregnancy removed and before that a ovarian cyst along with my appendix so there is some scar tissue no doubt. But I am hoping for the best and trying not to think of the worst lol. And yes the end goal is to feel better no matter what.

• Posted

You will be amazed at the difference your body feels after surgery. Yes, it will hurt but nothing like diverticulitis attacks or nausea. The good thing is the surgery pain will eventually go away unlike diverticulitis symptoms. Be kind to your digestive system after surgery, I stuck with the soft diet for 8 weeks just to ensure my insides were healed before I went onto regular foods. Drink lots of water and Gatorade and walk as much as you can, it really helps the healing process. Do exactly what your doctor tells you. I always keep in mind what goes in has to come out.

• Posted

Thanks Glenda for the advise, ya I totally agree that the soft diet is the way to go. I've even been thinking of doing some nutribullet/blender meals at first so I get good nutrition with easy to digest food. And maybe use rice protein or nut protein (blenderized of course) so I can stay away from meat for awhile. Any thought on my idea's Glenda?

• Posted

Sounds good, but I would alternate it with the soft diet. My reasoning is you basically have to teach yourself how to digest foods again (hence the soft food diet). I was able to eat chicken (baked, broiled, boiled or canned), ham, Turkey....the usual soft diet. Sometimes ground beef cooked into small pieces. Absolutely no tomato sauce or spices (the acid is too much for your stomach at this time), fresh fruit or veggies (unless you smoothie it, be careful of acidic foods), lots of water and at least 1 small Gatorade a day (electrolytes). No alcohol or carbonated beverages. Your appetite won't be normal for a while but always make sure you eat an amount about the size of your fist, especially if you're taking antibiotics and painkillers. It's taken me almost a year to recover (only because I had sepsis), but I feel so much better for doing this. Remember though, the surgery for the most part only removes the damaged tissue, not the disease. Good luck!

• Posted

Sounds pretty awful, Sandi. Interesting to learn that the "easier" prep is not suitable for us Afib-sters. No wonder my gastros never made that an option.

You are brave having the surgery, but I guess if you're miserable enough with constant DD, it would be almost welcome. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I remember when I had my last colonoscopy the worst part was the meds I had to take to clear me out. I’m still waiting to hear from the hospital when my appointment is so I may have to chase them up. However, I’m still taking antibiotics (took one week’s worth and the symptoms came back as soon as I stopped so now taking another course). I wonder whether they’re really the right ones for the job, co-amoxiclav. I know you have problems taking the usual meds.

Were they happy to do your colonoscopy while you were experiencing symptoms? My understanding is that they are nervous about doing the procedure if there is still inflammation.

I have a feeling I’ll be needing surgery before long.

Thinking about you and this awful condition

• Posted

Hi there, they didn't seem to mind that I might be inflamed. Having said that I was actually in good shape for the colonoscopy. The inflammation seemed to be gone by the time they did it. But I think they would have done it even if it was still there. Cause they knew when it was booked that I was still inflamed and it was booked only 2 weeks ahead. So they took a chance. Just a week and half til surgery. And I'm am getting nervous. Ugh. I just don't want any complications. That's my biggest fear.

• Posted

I think I'd be a nervous wreck! However I know of a few people who've had resections (Crohn's disease) and they've come through ok. Hopefully they'll be able to do your surgery by keyhole which would help your recovery.

Stay strong

• Posted

Hoping all goes well for you.

Do other people find the waiting for appointments and treatments is very hard to cope with? I just want to get the whole thing over and done with.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.