UPDATE - Nalmefene (Selincro) - desperate to try it to help reduce drinking

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi folk, an update on my attempts to get a prescription for nalmefene to try to help in reducing my drinking.

so its now over 2 months since i first saw my GP to get this. As I mentioned in previous discussion, the GP referred me to a local alcohol service who when i attended didnt appear to know about this medication.

I've since had another appointment with the alcohol service, handed in my 2 week drink diary and had my bloods confirmed as ok.

I've had to kick up a bit of a fuss and speak with the service manager from the alcohol services to get any progress. After speaking with the service manager I have now been given an appointment to see their prescribing doctor, unfortunately not for another 3 weeks but at least i'm moving in the right direction hopefully.

I've been shocked to find how difficult it is to access this medication in the UK, it feels like constant obstacles and hoops to jump through, no wonder people lose motivation and give up trying.

I'll update again after my appointment, but in the meantime any advice about attending this appointment would be gratefully received.

Thanks

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi David 

Same story for me so I had an online Doctor consultantation with phamacy2u who prescribed 14 days and I’ve now done a week. I’m feeling in control back at the Gym down from 2 bottles to 2 glasses per night. Planing a night of tomorrow to go dancing so no alcohol planned. 

If you don’t get anywhere soon try the online Doctor 

Good Luck

Lindsey 

• Posted

I know it’s totally blown me over but I’ve not had any triggers until tonight. Even then I’ve only had an extra glass and now had enough, that’s 3 glasses instead of 3 bottles ( the extra bottle cos of the trigger) and anything else in the house on top. I’ve loads of alcohol left in the house that would be gone before bed after a trigger usually, now I just want cake instead which I have taken out of the freezer. 

This works, why the hell did I not know about this 10 years ago when I first asked for help, I actually feel quite angry and will now lobby my MP on the subject which I suggest everyone does the same, it’s their job to help constituents and this is important. 

Lindsey 

• Posted

Thats a great result and thanks for your comments. I did actually try pharmacy4u some time ago but their drink diary system wasnt working, then another time i couldnt get the online consultation to submit, I will give it another try soon if i dont get results thru the doctor
    • Posted

Hi David 

i has the same problem and had use different devices to get it to work it took over a day. Eventually my laptop succeeded their platform is a Nightmare but just keep at it don’t bother ringing the helpline they won’t do anything for the online doctor. 

Good Luck 

lindsey 

• Posted

Hi Lindsey I was interested in this medication for a family member. Please can you tell me how long the treatment is for and if the person has to go through detox first in order to be prescribed this drug. I know nothing about it as you can tell. Thank you.
    • Posted

Official information on this medication can be found by googling:

'NICE TA325 Nalmefene for the reduction of alcohol consumption - Information for the public'

and

'NHS Choices Alcohol Misuse Treatment'.

• Posted

Hi, David my advise is buy the the book The Cure for my Addiction by Roy Eskapa read it then get your GP to read it. It sad to think most Dr haven't heard TSM. My GP had to get her book out tbh i wasn't leaving without it i had enough information she was taken back. She got out of her chair went to speak to another Dr which i heard him say in the hall " yes give her it but it won't work"I felt like slapping him. I've never felt more control and happy no craving at all. Don't give up.

• Posted

I can send you a link to a PDF copy, the author doesn't mind. There's also a website where you can read the content of the book if you google (on google):

The Sinclair Guide 

I'll shoot you a link to that too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.