Update, nearly 6 weeks post op (capsular release surgery) and back to work

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, sorry I've not been posting, I've been logging in and reading posts where I can but keeping pc/phone/tablet use to a minimum. I've been back to work albeit not yet full time for 3 full weeks now, up to equivalent to 4 day week, some days only part days and although it was good to be back, I was as tired as anything. Pain was not too bad first few weeks and have had 3 sessions of physio. More required (physio thinks another 3/4 weekly ones) but am waiting on approval from insurance. Only thing concerning me is a vaguely familiar pain around the top shoulder area (where you get your booster injections as a kid for those of you that remember) and it's familiar indeed. Still can't sleep on it and the other shoulder also now having a very familiar early sign of frozen shoulder, I'm sure I am not imagining it. The pain around the op area and under the arm is bad, particularly at night times and handpain is returning. I've seen someone else describe this as like electric shocks, well that would describe it. I have my 6 week post op check up this wed so will be interesting to see what the results are. Initially I was happy at that THAT pain had gone and I could lift my arm but nowhere near full range is back, I still need help to put on a jacket most days and no way could tie a belt at the back of a dress etc. Feeling a bit apprehensive to be honest. People around me say, give it time blah blah but we all recognise 'that' pain and feeling don't we?  Anyhow, just thought I would post and update which generally is positive, I'm back driving, working and living.  How's everyone else doing since surgery and for those of you at different stages of this awful and misunderstood condition, hope you are all keeping well. much love, mandy

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy, awwww sounds like you are having a rough time again sad  I can understand how disappointed you must be feeling........... Good to hear you are back at work though & trying to get 'normal' again! As you say wait until you see your consultant & see what he has to say about it..........Do you feel that your movements are improving but ever so slowly or do you not feel you are getting anywhere & not really progressing?? 

I am having further MUA tomorrow sad  I to feel that awful booster injection feeling at the top of my arm accompanied with the little electric shocks sad  It makes you feel soooo deflated & frustrated...... My pain has eased to what it was - I dont get that pain that brings you to your knees & which makes you want to vomit & pass out - just the heaviness and as I said the injection site & electric eel type pain..... I dont know - perhaps we are both inpatient & just want fast results sad   My consultant was very understanding I told him I'm constantly doing the excercises because I'm so desperate to get better!!! He said its not my fault & sometimes you need further manipulation...........

Well Mandy its loverly to hear from you again & please let us know how wednesday goes - will be thinking of you & wishing you luck smile Sending you lots of love & big gentle hugs my friend xxxxxxxx

• Posted

Good luck tomorrow Linda, hope it all goes well.  Let us know how you get on.

xxx

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, yay mua went well smile had nerve block which is still wearing off would you believe!!!!!! He put in steriod injection and when I came round I cpuld lift my arm up above my head (using my other arm) I have not been able to do that in months!!! Bit of a funny sensation at mo - arm feels like jelly and I have lots of tingling pins & needles but hay I can deffo see improvement in my movements smile got physio session booked for this thursday smile I feel I have my life back!!!! Feel like I can swing from the tree's!!!!!! Much much better than first time smile consultant said that it had frozen solid again & not to get to upset because it does sometimes happen even when you do intensive physio......... but it does seem much much improved - finally smile Thanks Cheryl love & hugs xxxx
    • Posted

Oh I am so happy for you Linda, that is fabulous news!  It really is a weird sensation isnt it - ponytails here you come!  Physio will get you moving even better very soon, it hurts but when you see that you are improving it makes it all worthwhile.

Well done lovely and happy stretching! xxxx

• Posted

Hi, 

This is such a tricky condition, I am about 9 weeks post op now and things are pretty good, but some days no pain, others my arm muscles still hurt when I reach around sharply to put on my seatbelt in the car and I still get weird throbbing in my neck and collarbone.  Am constantly questioning whether it is trying to come back!!  The dr said that if you do not re-freeze within 3-4 months  it is unlikely to come back in that shoulder, so am hoping that is the case. I just keep moving it - use it or lose it as they say!  The physio also starts to stretch things out so you may get 'good' pain from the ligaments/muscles all working now.

Hopefully your check up will put your mind at rest.  Hope it goes well.

Cheryl

• Posted

I am 11 wks post op having had subacromial decompression and excision of clavicle plus bicep tendon release . Shoulder is now frozen can't lift above waist high not as painful this week as it's been , it's he'll to sleep at night many sleepless nights ! Had cortisone injection at 8wk follow up but not made any difference . I have follow up again in a few weeks and consultant speaking bout removing the capsule in shoulder so I hope this works and I can get back to some normality ! I don't think people realise how debilitating this condition is I still can't drive too painful ! Good luck hope you get better soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Jan, I to had subacromial decompression back in Feb - sounds exactly like me - go for whatever your consultant can offer you. My movements were awful first time & v painful - I to have been unable to drive (me since last October) Don't give up there is deffo light at the end of the tunnel ...........It made me very depressed but now today I could sing (&) swing from the tree tops - I have my life back yippee.....

Good luck & rapid healing - sending love & gentle hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Linda glad to hear you are feeling better 😊 it's good to know there are other people out there who are going through the same problems as me ! I had physio yesterday and she said they don't do intense physio any more for frozen shoulder as this apparantly has led to more problems long term , she believes I will get on much better following capsular release 😊 I hope you continue to be pain free take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Jan, yes love it sounds like you need manipulation. Get it done I can't believe how much my movements have improved.........Physio would have just plodded on regardless of my pain.........I was lucky that my consultant said he would do mua again.........He said he wasn't surprised that I needed the extra manipulation. I only hope & prey that I continue to improve. I have a lot of muscle wastage which is concerning. Pain has eased so much better smile Sleeping is still a bother so we will see. Its so good to have the support on here - I don't know where I would be without everyones kind thoughts & words. Will let you know how physio goes tomorrow smile Love and hugs xxx
  • Posted

Hi all.

Sending healing thoughts to you all.

I know your pain.

Trace - in Brighton

• Posted

Hi everyone, love and healing to you all.  Right, here's my update from the surgeon yesterday,  6 weeks post op today. As far as he (and I am) surgery was a huge success in the huge improvement in movement. We discussed the pain, lack of sleep etc and he's assured me it's normal and that he'll leave me know in the care of the physio.  He gently explained that the surgery is to 'release' and though I was pleased in the instant results, work is still required to get things moving again and to expect some pain as a result of things now having to work when they hadn't been for months. When I showed him my disappointing range of movement around the back (imagine pulling up a back zip of a dress or threading a belt round a pair of trousers you are wearing - neither of which I can do) - he then explained that in the capsular release they sometimes choose NOT to do a full 360 release as for someone like me that was in his words VERY INFLAMMED, it would then have made the shoulder joint unstable and there was a risk to further injury. Therefore in my surgery 270 degrees ablation was carried out, leaving one section still 'stuck' - hopefully cured by physio, but I'm realistic in reading others experience that full range may never come back, neither he nor I discussed this to be honest. However as I have said in another thread, we had a chat about how misunderstood this condition is, particularly his frustration at his medical colleagues lack of appreciation on the condition and advice that it will heal itself. He said 80% of the ops he does are capsular release some with minor maniupulation under general aneasthetic which was me. We also discussed how debilitating and isolating the condition is and how he has met many patients hugely depressed as a result of the condition - I felt 'understood' - as far as 'the' ache and pain starting on the other shoulder, he feels that this is due to having to lie on that side all the time for now and in having used that side to compensate whilst frozen. I hope that is the case, but I am keeping my beady eye on it as feel actually panicky at the thought of going back 'there' to that dark, frozen place.  All in all, positive for me, hopefully many of you will be reassured that the pain we continue to feel is sadly, 'normal' and that we have to continue to self manage that with pain relief and physio (the latter in particular being vital). Hugs and love to you all, here's to continual healing, some of us are progressing but sadly there are new ones joining us every day in our journey. Thank you all. Mandy x
    • Posted

sending you a gentle hug. All I have learnt since my op on April 1st is when you are feeling a bit better YOU ARE NOT so doing ANYTHING AT ALL will set you back. My gp yesterday signed me off till May s

6th, recommended a phased return to work and said it would be at least 4 weeks before I can drive again. Depressed and frustrated with the slow progress. Morphine is my life at the moment.

Take care all.

• Posted

i am 4 weeks after capsular release and sick note runs out on Sunday 16th May 2021 but still in pain and feeling quite disappointed that i'm still feeling like this! I am office based but have to drive 25 minutes to work but am unsure if i shoukd? I struggle with all stretches given and get a dull ache in between my thumb and finger which is really strange and wondered if anyone else gets this in that area? I honestly thought surgery would give me my life back but up to now i've not seen any benefit to having it done 😦

• Posted

hi jane

just read your post about having ACR . just wondering how you are going. seems you had yours around the same time as me

mine all started with a work injury ( jarred me shoulder) 5th dec 18. i finally paid for the op on april 8th just gone.

its been hard and long. brutal at times. lonely of a night with the ache watching the sun come up.

i was finally allowed to work week 9. as i am a carpenter.

still at physio 2 days a week. had to throw the towel in week 10 and have guided injection into the bicep tendon and capsule

how are you doing and have you recovered. no one seems to talk on here any more. hope for a reply

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.