Update of Mirt withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Went to see Psych today. I have been reducing my Mirt from 30mg to 15mg over the last couple of months (my decision) because of this awful weight gain (3stone + in around a year) I have been advised to reduced straight down to 7.5mg for two weeks, introducing 50mg Trazodone at night. He will review dosage of Trazodone in two weeks with a view to possibly increasing the dose.

I really could not continue with this horrendous weigh gain and am pinning my hopes this will be the solution.

Does anyone have any thought on this please.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry forgot to say that the Mirt is to stop after reducing for two weeks.
  • Posted

Im tapering off mirt not my chose but they reckon its stopped working Im being put on sertraline 50mg, Im glad because I have also put on 3 stone during my 6 years on mirt but Im really worried about sleep cause that is one of my big issues with depression
  • Posted

There is a forum on this site which deals with Trazodone.  I suggest you search for that (Forums > Trazodone).  I Googled Trazodone and it may be what you need. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine I was on trazadone for some time .. the only reason I came off it was I got pregnant. I think I was on 200mg taken at night.. I can say with a smile I managed to keep my weight the same more or less on that ..
    • Posted

He did you get any side effects from Trazadone?  I am weaning off Mirt.  Was at 30mg for 16 days and the reduced to 22.5mg and holding until March 13 and then will taper some more.  I do not do well with AD get the most adverse side effects which is why they tried Mirt which no side effeccts but does not help with my anxiety.  Heading back to the Shrink March 23 so do not know what he will do at that time as they have tried most of the familites of meds out there. 
    • Posted

Hi Kathy I was on it for quite a few years I just took myself off as I was signed off from hosp .. I had no WD at all .. actually felt ok for a while too.. there basically a seditive & AD .. a safe drug to take if you self prescribe .
    • Posted

now are you taking about the Mirt of Trazadone?  Did you have anxiety as well and did either help in that dept?
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine

I would like to say not to rush off Mirt' it has a nasty withdrawl sting inc. anx & insomnia that hits between day 4 and 2 weeks ... do a slow taper, no more than 10% every 2 - 3 weeks, being kind to yourself will be your best friend in the long term.  

If you decide to go quicker, its up to you, your body/mind, and it gets too difficult, you can always take a little step back, to the last dose and wait until youu are settled.  Take car, look after yourself x

• Posted

I did a very similar taper only my doctor advosed even quicker, but I did what you are describing. I'm afraid it was an absolute disaster. The trazadone did not help me sleep oone bit because the mirt WD was unbearablle and after 10 days on the  trazadone and no mirt, I reinsted the 30mg of mirt and felt immediate relief. I am not saying you will be the same; just that I couldn't hack it at all. I have however, successfully withdrawn from mirtazapine using a much slower taper and have not replaced it with any other AD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.