Update on All Gowned up and ready to go.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good morning all and a massive thank you to everybody who responded last Tuesday 11th, I didn't get back on the ward until late evening Tuesday and eventually got discharged 5pm Saturday evening. I ended up having a General as they couldn't manage to get a spinal in because of a blood clotting problem that I have I was in recovery longer than most, the Op went smoothly and I have an uncemented hip now in place. I have to say I feel remarkably well my only concern is my leg from top to mid calf is enormous, there is no bruising but at first glance I thought I was wearing somebody else,s leg. My kidney function was down to to 30 so I'm being monitored at home to ensure its getting back to normal but all in all after all my concerns and worries its been a really positive experience . Hope everybody out there is recovering well and getting back to some form of mobility and once again thank you to each and everyone for your kind words and messages last week . Xx

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't worry about the swelling mine was that bad could only just sit in my wheelchair

• Posted

It will go down
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm stuck upstairs at present until i can master the stairs what did you do to pass the day, having said that I'm not fit for much at present. X

• Posted

Hi Ann great news. Your leg will be swollen for a while. I was told to rest for two hours in the afternoon in bed. Definately shifted fluid and in the early days helped me catch up on sleep . Bruising will come dont worry. Mine came out in different parts. I discovered new bits each day. Mine was uncemented too. Works great xx
    • Posted

How soon was you able to manage stairs and just General getting about, I've got no energy left in me at the moment I feel like a fake. I'm taking it easy as I've heard uncemented dislocate easier that's the last thing I want. X

• Posted

Oh so glad to hear from you was getting worried. You need to make sure you drink plenty of water.

The nurses laughed at me said I could wee for England but my swelling went down really quickly.

Good luck obey the rules and carry on improving x

• Posted

Thank you Ann, how are you getting along. The thing that's hit me is the fatigue I can't believe how tired I am.

The anethatist really wanted to do an epidural but he was unable to so a General it was . I'm hoping to start going up and down the stairs soon but I just can't face them at the moment. X

• Posted

dear ann, 

well done and welcome to this side --- you did good, darling ... 

that is so great about this forum .. at least it was to me - such a warm feeling and big support from people who have been there -

oh, that alien leg ... mine started at top of leg, making its way down to my ankle in slow motion where it lingered for one week - skin was so tight - but there was no fever -  

you know you can allways come back here, right - whenever you have a concern or question or just to let us know how you are getting on -

be gentle with your self -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee, how long was you partially bedridden? Can't wait to recover as I can then get my right hip done. X

• Posted

Hi Ann, glad you're back at home. Take it steadily, you'll gradually improve. Did they show you how to go up and down stairs in the hospital? It does get easier. I remember coming downstairs and then staying down until later in the day for the first few days, but then I became more mobile and the stairs weren't so tiring.

You need plenty of rest to begin with, but moving is good for you too. I had a little walk outside from about day 2, and felt better for it.

All the best, Judith

• Posted

I've just read this after replying to your other post!

Ice is good for swelling, rest and elevation, as for what to do I like to read and do puzzle books to pass the time, but honestly recovery is at times boring!

Listen to your body and do things as and when you feel ready, I found the stairs quite daunting at first, my confidence was knocked for the first couple of weeks, I was worried about tripping and falling, but you will move so slowly at first that the likelihood of that happening is very slim, so just take your time with it all because it does come back and quicker than you think it will!

I hope you have a great recovery Ann.

Take Care Lulu 

• Posted

Mine was very swollen too but it doesn't last for long. It will go down. I'm so glad it all went well for you. Hip Hip horrayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

I wish it was hip hip away, it's 5am and I'm sat looking at what looks like Dumbo,s leg its enormous and throbbing like heck but if in a couple of weeks I'm pain free and walking again it will all be worth it.Hope all's going well for you.X

• Posted

Oh I know the 5am feeling. I thought I'd never sleep properly again. I can't sleep on my back, I did struggle and was so tired, I just wanted to curl up on my side and sleep. It will all come right, It doesn't feel that way but it will. When you look back you wonder where the time went. My swelling lasted about three weeks, I kept my foot elavated as much as I could and it does help, honest. Keep me posted and bye for now. x

• Posted

Mine was very swollen too but it doesn't last for long. It will go down. I'm so glad it all went well for you. Hip Hip horrayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.