Update on Ankle! Still nervous and worried! Need a little more positive advice!”

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone! I just thought I’d give everyone an update on my ankle! It has been roughly about 10 weeks since I broke my right fibula, and dislocated my ankle (sydnesmosis). I am now in the boot with a few short weeks until I am able to start WB. I was just wondering, I mentioned in my last post, I am only 20, and I am having such a hard time thinking that my recovery will go smoothly and I will be okay at the end of the summer. (6 months). I always read stuff online that is very negative, and try to stay clear of anything that says the worst scenario possible? I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me going into the second stage of my recovery with WB and physical therapy. I am SO scared that In a couple months I won’t feel normal and I am worried that this will follow me for the rest of my life. I need positive advice because lately I have been feeling so hopeless and depressed. Anything is appreciated. Thank you all

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alexander, I broke my tibia, fibula, and talus, along with dislocation in August. Once I was out of the cast, in the boot and weight bearing gradually my recovery has gone pretty easily. Six months out now I am walking fairly normally, just a little stiff. My foot still feels different and maybe always will, maybe my new normal, but I am able too do just about everything I could do before. I resumed short hikes about a month ago. You are so young I'm sure your recovery will go smoothly. Having a great physical therapist was key for me. He had me take off my boot whenever I was sitting so I could exercise it all the time, this really helped with the swelling and stiffness. It sounds like you are doing great, I know it seems like it takes forever to recover, but as soon as you start PT the recovery progresses really quickly. 

Good luck in your recovery and hang in there!

• Posted

The majority of people recover well from this injury, after an admittedly long recovery period, and you have the added benefit of youth on your side. Just be aware and realistic in that while your bones may have healed, after 12 weeks non-WB your ankle may need more than a few months WB and PT to feel completely 'normal' again.  The bone healing is for most the 'easy' part, the soft tissue healing requires some longer-term effort on your part, as advised by your PT.  I am pretty sure that if you follow their direction, in 6 months' time you are going to be in a much better place physically and mentally.  Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Iam 13 MONTHS into my ORIF my only advice is FOLLOW DOCTORS ORDERS I have to have an additional surgery because I DID NOT.. I didn’t rotate my ankle as I was suppose to (I WAS PARALYZED WITH FEAR) nor did I BW when I once it was placed in my ankle for I slept in it for 2weeks never removing it because of the pain with every lil touch to my ankles my ankle was NOT in the boot all the way it was pointing downward kinda like a ballet position and my ankle go stiff so stiff that I NOW have very little ROM my Achilles has shorten because of the MUSCLE NOT BEING USED so now  my Dr Will Open my leg and 3 incisions in the back of my ankle  calf  and behind my knee to RELEASE the Achilles so I can walk NORMAL AGAIN.. you’ll BE FINE just follow Dr orders physically therapy is KEY  to recovery make sure u do what you’re told it’s Normal to feel that way it will pass AND U WILL WALK NORMAL I have two aunts who had the exact same thing and they were fine RAN INTO complications because I allowed FEAR TI CRIPPLE ME you’re 20yrs old you bones MEND  MUCH QUICKER THEN A 48yr old TRUST ME YOU’ll be FINE BEST IF LUCK  
  • Posted

Hello everyone, I’m always looking to encourage all who suffered from ankle injury. I’m 6mths from orif surgery, broken ankle 3 places , 2 plates and 7 screws. My 1st advice to all is prayer, listening to your doctor and physical therapy... I’m running 2-3 miles every other day and lifting weights on days I’m not running. Literally running !!! I’m 48 yrs old and I’m a witness it can be done. I also had bad days thinking if I would do the things I used to do ... think positive and push yourself... IT TAKES TIME 
  • Posted

Hi Alexander!

I was feeling the same way as you, but knew that if I didn't get over the fear and push myself, I wouldn't make a full recovery. 

I'm 53 and had an ankle replacement 14 weeks ago. I'm in therapy now going on my third week. I'm now using one crutch and my PT said I will be walking without crutches in two more weeks. Because I was NWB for so long, my ankle and toes are very tight, and very painful. But my PT said that I have made huge progress in three weeks and assures me I will be feeling much better in two months. 

I've been told it will take a full year to completely recover to 100%. 

Good luck! You are very young and will heal much quicker than me. 

• Posted

Hi also have the same injury I have a plate 5 screws and two pins. I've asked my consultant several times about my recovery. I'm 3 and a half weeks post op he has told me that when I go back in three weeks to have my cast removed I'll walk out of hospital!

This is very positive but after reading so much I think I'll be on crutches partially weight bearing. My plan is to swim every day once my cast comes off to strengthen my ankle and torn ligaments and to regain my fitness. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be months of recovery!

I will need to have the two pins removed in four months so I know that will set me back a bit.

Wishing u all the best for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi also have the same injury I have a plate 5 screws and two pins. I've asked my consultant several times about my recovery. I'm 3 and a half weeks post op he has told me that when I go back in three weeks to have my cast removed I'll walk out of hospital!

This is very positive but after reading so much I think I'll be on crutches partially weight bearing. My plan is to swim every day once my cast comes off to strengthen my ankle and torn ligaments and to regain my fitness. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be months of recovery!

I will need to have the two pins removed in four months so I know that will set me back a bit.

Wishing u all the best for a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.