Update on broken talus

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wrote on here a few months ago about my fractured talus. It has been 7 months since I have broken it and it still bothers me very much. It’s weak, stiff and throbs at the end of my work shift. I went to my doctor to get an X-ray recently and he said it looks fine just the bone hasn’t mended completely together yet but I still can walk on it just no running, jumping or sports. Does anyone think I should get a second opinion? I wanted to do physical therapy but my doctor said I shouldn’t need it but I still don’t have full range of motion in my ankle!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

in my case the cast came off too soon and my talus didn't heal.

but there are different stages in the healing process, maybe you are at the point where exercise is good for recovery. in that case situation will improve.

i would go for a second opinion if the pain is sharp.

rom can take long time to recover, and sometimes the ankle don't get back to 100%

• Posted

Well the doctor told me no running, jumping or sports because the bone is still not completely healed. The only time I get pain is when I get home from work after being on my feet for 8-10 hours and the next morning it hurts very bad the first steps I take to the point where I use my crutches or put on my walking boot. I’m just tired of having to wear a brace! How long did it take for your ankle to feel somewhat normal? Are you able to run and do physical activity? 
    • Posted

sounds like your fracture is healed enough, so you should see improvements. physio will help in my opinion.

i never fully healed after fracture n.1 and had to use the brace 24/7 so my ankle got weaker. i later had surgery to fix ligaments and used crutches so i had osteoporosis and stress fractures.

i tried to run on it but was too soon so i ended up refracturing the same ankle 6 weeks ago, now i'm in the long plaster.

generally the pain will tell you if something is wrong, so keep using the brace when pain is too bad.

• Posted

Hello 😊

I too broke my talus 3/01/17 open fracture and whilst i can move its not like it used to be at all!!! Have limited rom carnt run and limp when ive been on my feet for along time..Elevating and ice really do help. But i can walk and get around pritty well so with this injury i think its better to look how far u have come than the pain today or the future x I hope it gets better for you luv Maria😍

• Posted

Thank you Maria!! I too limp at the end of my work shift. I definitely need to start icing and elevating when I get home because that is something I don’t do! I guess I just have to be Patient it’s just frustrating having to wear a brace anytime I do something and I can’t wear Sandles this summer sad 
    • Posted

Hi again?

I always elavate but weather its the warmerrr weather or the fact i used ice last that ive had a normal week😅 as normal as it can be nowadays😂 i do feel your pain as its sad and repetative ( for me anyway ) when i know the pain will be at its worst ( 2 full days on my feet) try and stay thankful for what you have and not what you havnt and realise we have broken one of the worst healing bones in our body we are strong dont feel too bad your kicking butt here😂

• Posted

Hi again?

I always elavate but weather its the warmerrr weather or the fact i used ice last that ive had a normal week😅 as normal as it can be nowadays😂 i do feel your pain as its sad and repetative ( for me anyway ) when i know the pain will be at its worst ( 2 full days on my feet) try and stay thankful for what you have and not what you havnt and realise we have broken one of the worst healing bones in our body we are strong dont feel too bad your kicking butt here😂

• Posted

Hi Steph,

Yes, I remember your earlier post.

It is said that talus injuries can present difficult recoveries and that seems to be the case with you.

I don't know if you need a second opinion-- that's strictly up to you. Right now you need patience and persistence.

I would however disregard your physicians dismissal of any need for physiotherapy. In many ankle injuries I believe an ongoing. strict, and disciplined ankle rehab/exercise routine makes the difference between a recovery you can be proud of and chronic ankle misery. A clean, nourishing diet is also important.

A competent professional therapist (may take some searching to find the best in your area) is your best ally to do this. However, if financial pressures prevent this you can build your own therapy routine by taking advantage of the wonderful information and videos online.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Yes I do believe I need physical therapy I still cannot walk correctly in gym shoes without a brace. That is why I’m considering going to a different doctor that can recommend me physical therapy because I think that would help tremendously. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.