Update on me not drinking

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi my friends.Just to let you know I'm still in control of the Alcohol 8 Days now.Long May it last ! ? Advantages - Unbroken magic sleep no sweating changing night wear & sheets, no hang over int the morning and then starting the whole vicious circle again.My swollen ankles are going, my face is not so red,the pins and needles and cramps are better,everything is better.I say NO to my Mum ( one of the suggestions made on this Forum by one of my friends) I try to avoid the triggers so many though or is it just excuses and rewards I don't know anymore why I drink.I MUST avoid Alcohol though then hopefully other things in my life will improve.Just have to keep working hard and keep positive.I love this Forum much better than the groups I have been to.There was always a Pub nearby to rush into when the meetings had finished. None of them worked for me. I won't go into detail because it would probably be moderated.Thankyou my friends for all your help.Love Susan

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Ah yes, the swollen ankles (and feet), always made it fun trying to get shoes on.

BTW, how many of you used to run out of the meeting and descend on the pub afterwards. I have versions of the meeting room emptying and the bar filling up.

• Posted

Well done Susan, you must be feeling so proud of yourself.  Thank you for letting us know of your progress.

Pat xxxx

• Posted

Well done Susan!

I can relate to the swollen ankles....and my hands as well

• Posted

I never had swollen anything...that is not good that you have that...so keep that "up front" as you continue your sobriety.

So nice to hear that you have made it thru some time sober.  And I always find it funny how quickly things start to straighten out.  WHICH is a very bad realization for me...because my sick brain tells me...well, it only takes a week to recover from a binge....so when I'm really upset I think like that...VERY BAD.

I don't miss the night sweats, the dry mouth, the cravings, the driving to the store with a massive hangover..only to get more alcohol...the not eating...the not socializing...the missed engagments....so many things to mention,

Keep it up.

• Posted

Hi missy2. Oh dear you are so right about when we are better after a week ! !  The craving Allways comes back. The poison is so powerfully it's overwhelming and hard to control.Like you even though i can hardly walk with Hangover I will stagger into town go into shop ( sometimes they won't serve me because I'm still drunk) Plenty of other shops so try to get myself together and pretend to be sober, Useually manage to get home with as many bottles as I can carry having slurps of wine behind bushes on the way home ( so desperate for the Alcohol to work it's magic ) My Brain is sick as well. I hope it will better this time I Don't want  to die,I don't want a stroke Or Dementure Or anything else that goes with drinking Alcohol. I want to be sober for my self respect to wear nice clothes again,do my hair properly put makeup on instead of looking a drunken mess all the time I'm Ashamed of myself so the drinking has to stop.
    • Posted

Hi missy2 was going to say this to you but forgot." Tough times never last.Tough people do".Think that is quite positive.
    • Posted

can...sleep good...and don't beat yourself up...Its a very hard thing to beat.  And its never really beaten....but as time goes by....I know I had 8 years....it DOES get easier...sadly for ME...it took almost 2 years or me to stop always thinking about it...but it happens alot quicker for others.

​So you never know...but like you said...you will live longer...if you do quit...and that is a plus.

​Your right about tough times and tough people (I hope)

• Posted

Fantastic susan, so pleased for you. What ever you're doing, keep doing as it's working for you. Don't overdo things or put yourself in dangerous trigger situations. Sobriety should always come first. 

Great that you're sleeping well too. Can identify with skin looking better. Never got the swollen ankles though!

Yes walked out of meetings at half time several times in the past and gone to the pub..haha!! In fact I did it in January !!! Hey ho you have to laugh! 

Anyway, keep going and keep posting.

p.s. Noticed there a program on itv 7.30 tonight about alcohol and what is safe. May watch it though heard it all before!! X

• Posted

Hi Paper fairy. It is funny about those meetings sometimes I did'nt even get though the front door went to the pub instead. So boring those meetings.p.s.Yes will watch that program tonight like you say we have probably heard it all before but you never know I 'm Allways up for something that can help.X
  • Posted

Oh yes missy, all those things I've had, the worst being nausea and vomiting for me... 

We aren't bad people, just sick people trying to get better! 

Quote: If alcohol were a communicable disease, a national emergency would be declared..

• Posted

Swollen feet & ankles, the proper name for it is oedema, or more specifically peripheral oedema.
    • Posted

I think my problem with my ankles is probably not drink related.I changed my job 2 years ago because my feet and ankles got so bad with standing on them for sometimes 10 hours a day.I had plantar phasilitis sometimes more commonly called policeman said heal.

• Posted

Hi Sue you don't know me l don't know you so, let's kill the thinking time and get in the gym ( only in the mind ) that way you stop thinking about another drink.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.