Update on my condition... confused?!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I was on here a while back with the news my pulmonologist gave me that I had emphysema due to spirometry results. 62% lung function. Since then I have had a cat scan and guess what. NO emphysema.!!! The report also said " There is no evidence of interstitial lung disease. There is no air trapping or airway collapse on the expiratory images. There is no evidence of bronchiolitis obliterans. No emphysema or bronchiectasis. Lung parenchyma and central airways appear normal. There are no lung nodules, enlarged lymph nodes, pleural or pericardial effusions.   Impression - Normal scan. " Was wondering if something could have been missed, but they did do high resolution imaging on the expiratory images so that should have showed something right?  So now I wonder what the heck is going on? My pulmonologist said " I don't know what we are dealing with here " If anyone has any ideas about this I would love to here them as I am stumped and apparently my doc is too. He is testing me for asthma but that is odd as my spirometry didn't improve with the puffer.                                                                                   Also my flight went ok. 98 o2 sat at take off 94-91 at cruising altitude. Then it wouldn't register, but my finger pulse oximeter doesn't register if fingers are cold which mine are when anxious. Flight home was good. Slept for 2 hours of it. Thanks for reading. Hope someone has some thoughts.  smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi the only thing I can suggest is to ask for an MRI scan.  This is more comprehensive than a cat scan and should pick up anything wrong.  x

• Posted

Thanks hypercat. I will ask doc about this and see what he says. Have been researching about emphysema being missed on ct scans and apparently it has happened with very mild disease. But they say ct scan is the go to for lung issues. Hope I don't have some rare whacky disease or something!!

• Posted

Hello it is hard for me to get my sat to when my hands are cold ,so i warm them up frist,And for the rest of your coments i wish you the best on finding out what is wrong, good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Arwinarwin. It makes walking in the cold hard to monitor!
  • Posted

No wonder you r confused!! I had to have a sleep,apnea rest which revealed very mild sleep apnea so no treatment necessary Then I had to have another test where I had to wear a clip on my finger overnight. Results showed very low oxygen levels and stopped breathing 8 times during the night. I am well am very confused. 
  • Posted

Sorry forgot to mention my cat scan confirmed emphzema 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Ellen. Its frustrating isn't it? I think I need to get that test done where you have the oximeter on overnight. That is why I went to Doc in first place. Waking frequently at night feeling breathless. My sleep study showed only mild snoring and no apnea. Didn't desaturate at that time. I wonder about hormone fluctuations in menopausal women. Sometimes sleep well, sometimes horrible!! Hope you are receiving good treatment for your condition.

• Posted

The latest test was using a cpac machine at night time for a week. That test reavealed low levels however with my oxygen levels dropping so low at night time it was highly recommended I use this therapy. I have been using it now and must say I have more energy in the day time. I see tge respirologist Dec. 15th so will know more then. If I were you I would ask to have the oximeter test.
  • Posted

I have similar, but because of the the Spirometry test still proves I cannot blow vertical over I can tell blow much air out.

When I try and walk I get breathless all the time but do not ever cough.

I don't seem to be able to do much now without becoming g breathless, I have severe Gerd, with a constant sore throat, and I owe have chronic kidney disease.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your plight carmwoman. Yes that what has my Doc worried is the 62% lung function. He says I have obstructed breathing. So far I can still walk without getting real breathless. But need to find out whats wrong so can treat it properly. I also have had some bouts of atrial fibrillation and I also have gerd. Thanks for replying!
    • Posted

Are you taking any medicine for GERD? COPD and GERD are related, but the medical field doesn't know much yet- starting to investigate. You can read on the internet if you search for "GERD and COPD"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.