Update on my mono story!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with mono last year in March. My initial symptoms were : fever, pharyngitis, tonsillitis (pus), headache and swollen glands on neck. As time went on I started experiencing fatigue and also anxiety. Now, 10 months after being diagnosed, the virus is reactivated and I have strong headache and neck pain, as well as tonsillitis and pharyngitis again. It hurts when I swallow. Thankfully I don't have fever. But I feel like I've been ran again by a bus. Can this virus reactivate itself within such short period of time? I thought I healed 😦 Also I experience different taste in my mouth which is something that concerns me. And poor appetite is something I've always struggled with. Any thoughts or experiences would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Tea,

I experienced an odd taste and smell during the first month of mono.

Your story sounds very much like everyone else, up and down. I have days of fatigue still that feel like the first time, but they get shorter each time and more bearable.

Same here with the fever. I have gotten it occasionally since the beginning (had it for about a month when I first had symptoms,by then for a week in month 3), but since then have been clear, fingers crossed.

Sounds like you are having a little hit of a relapse. If it persist, you may want a trip to the doc just to ease your mind. It does sound mono related, though.

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback. I really hope it's just a relapse.

• Posted

Hi Tea,

It is nice to see a post from you and just so sorry to hear you're having a tough time at the moment with the symptoms that you have been having. I just want to reassure Tea that these kind of setbacks can happen during recovery but it doesn't mean to say that you are a way back to the start again or anything, it's just often the way the recovery process goes with this, that you maybe feel like you're making progress or taking steps forward and then all of a sudden bang you feel awful again and as if it's all starting over again.

But it's won't Tea, these kind of flare-ups are often a feature during the recovery months, I remember at about 9 months having a bad flare up where my joints were so sore and started getting weird bruising and aches and pains, after things being a bit more stable before that. But my experience was that it settled down within a few weeks and managed to start to see a major breakthrough in recovery after that.

I still believe you will be fully better and healed from this Tea - it just takes time and these kind of bumps and ups and downs can happen but it doesn't mean to say that you won't get over this fully - I thought at one stage my body would never have the resilience to cope with normal or stressful activities again, but it really does strengthen over time and often I think these mini relapses are actually a positive in that it means your body is getting on top of another area / element of the virus and after each one of those you are even stronger than before. I do hope this is the case Tea and do keep in touch and let us know how you are doing over the next wee while.

Thinking about you and remember that you will get FULLY better from this given time - it's hard not to get discouraged I know and remember well - but truly I believe you will get there and this is going to be a year of hope and recovery for you - hang in there. My experience was that Year 2 was SO much better than Year 1, just felt more normal and human again - and you will get to that stage I truly believe it Tea - take care of yourself and rest when you need to right now though, that's really important, and also taking good vitamins and herbs too also can be really helpful during down spells.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for the nice words, Craig. I am hopeful that I'll feel much better after this flare-up. Hopefully, it'll go away quicker than the first time. Xx

• Posted

Oh I do hope so that things pick up soon Tea, it is such an awful experience to go through all the different stages and phases of this virus and the longevity of it really makes it so mentally hard to cope with as well as physically of course.

Definitely believing that you will get there Tea, hang in there and thinking about you. Hoping for a better week ahead for you and remember take care of yourself and just take things at the pace that's right for you just now.

Craig

• Posted

I don't know why the virus reactivated after 10 months of first being diagnosed with mono. It baffles me. I just hope it doesn't become chronic. Thanks, Craig.

• Posted

Oh it's such a frustrating virus Tea that is for sure. These kind of mini reactivations can be very common within the first year or two, it doesn't mean to say that it's going to be chronic or anything like that - far from it, I think your body just has to go through a cycle of recovery with this thing and it can be a very zig-zag process rather than a smooth line to recovery, but you will reach full recovery with time I truly believe that Tea. Hang in there and just take care of yourself in this phase you're having, and remember that it will pass and you will get back on track again - and that every day is a day away from the day of infection and towards recovery, and that is true even on the days that you are not feeling so good still - your body will recovery I hope, pray and believe.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.