Update on non-union of fibula-16 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

so my doc finally decided to perform surgery. last week I had a lateral malleolus ORIF of the fibula with a calcaneal bone graft. the pain is excruciating and it's just so hard to do everyday tasks.

how do you deal with the pain and getting in and out of bed, on and off the toilet, and showering? any advice is greatly appreciated!image

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You need to think about getting some equipment for your bathroom. Either buy or rent a tub chair and some handles for your toilet. That makes it a lot easier to shower and go to the washroom. Most cities will have some kind of rental place for special needs equipment. What kind of pain meds are you taking? The pain meds that worked best for me ORIF post-surgery was a combination of naproxen and oxycodone. However, 2 weeks post surgery they will recommend you stay away from naproxen and ibuprofen because there is some evidence to suggest it may impact bone growth. I found the oxycodone alone to be inadequate. You can buy naproxen over the counter.

• Posted

thank you for your advice! I will definitely look into your recommended equipment!

I'm currently taking 5 mg of oxycodone every 6 hours. it really does nothing for me but my doctor doesn't want to give me anything else because of those people who have ruined the use of opioids! I will definitely try using naproxen with it!

thanks again!

• Posted

MORE COLLECTED ADVICE:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/things-that-helped-me-cope-with-my-ankle-break-698938?page=0#3501108

In addition to this I soaked ankles in hot water, it helped pain and I worked on range of motion rolling my ankles more easily when they are loose and warm.

Be careful when it gets cold, it will amplify the pain, layer socks and use slippers

always wear shoes with padding in them, it will help your ankles not to be as jarred during the day.

avoid salty foods or anything that will contribute to swelling.

Know that when a low pressure weather system comes through you will feel more pain.

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Thank you so much! Your story and pointers definitely will be implemented!

I've discovered, that aside from the pain, the emotionally issues are a huge obstacle! after reading your very positive posts, I've decided I really need to stop feeling sorry for myself and focus on being positive! thank you!

• Posted

You do have my sympathy so early post your surgery. Its an absolutely truly dreadful time! On my discharge from hospital post operatively following ORIF surgery to my shattered rt ankle 8 weeks ago, i was on gabapentin and tramadol for pain which were effective to a degree even though they are powerful drugs, they still only made the pain, extreme pins and needles stabbing sensations in my ankle and foot just about bearable, having to put the foot down caused further agonies for any activity that meant it was below heart level.

i initially managed with a wheelchair although knee scooters are highly regarded from what ive been told.

It does get better do be assured, alot of patience and perseverence will be needed and i have had pain meds now stepped down to co codamol (30/500 codeine plus paracetamol combi) which are adequate enough now. Although constipating that can be tackled simply enough. Life is also better since i got the horrid cast taken off after 6 weeks replaced with a moonboot and now partial weight bearing with crutches. I will start physiotherapy next week, which my Dr felt i wasnt ready to start til then.

My understanding is that drugs belonging to the NSAID group of analgesics like naproxen, & ibuprofen should be avoided for 2 months after bone injury as will cause a delay in bone healing, though i also avoid them as they will exacerbate asthma as well.

All the best and hang in there ! xxx

• Posted

thank you! I am using a knee scooter. I've gotten pretty good on it since I've been using it for a little over 16 weeks now. lol!

next week i go in to have stitches removed then will be in a cast for another 8 weeks, then a boot. I've just gotten so tired of my predicament and am not in the best of spirits with this new pain. however, I'm so glad I found this forum! responses from people like you have given me hope that it can only get better from here!

thank you! and good luck with your own healing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.