Update on ORIF

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Well the PT is painful but needed. I'm currently limping with ankle aircast brace and 1 crutch. I climb my stairs because I refused to continue living on the couch. I can 'walk' for about 10 minutes without stopping. But my knee hurts like crazy (and eventually my lower back too). I've progressed; but definitely not back to 100%.

According to doc - I might not go back to the way I was before...but its too early to tell.

I'm back at work. Desk duty only, and I'm grateful for it.

I'm hurting already and tired.

By the way. Does anyone feel that their plate is irritating them? I don't know if it is plate or screw but it seems to come together into some kind of 'pointy edge' and hurts!!

I MISS WALKING! When I GET better, I'm going to walk every day !! I WILL never take this for granted again!

PS: nights are still the worst, swelling and pain.

Missy

ORIF - 08/16/18

PLATE w/ 11 screws

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

HI,

Everyone is different. I have heard of people that are able to get right back to their previous level of functioning right away, and others take longer.

I had my Orif 4/17/18. I still limp pretty significantly and walking is a challenge at times and going down stairs is nearly impossible. I have felt for a few months that my plate on the outside of my ankle( I have two plates and 12 pins) had been bothering me, along with some scar tissue build up that made my big toe immobile. After undergoing multiple tests, it was discovered that i have a severe tibial nerve issue and in order to attempt to walk better I will undergo a second surgery at the end of the month. I will have the hardware removed, scar tissue broken up and they will take a better look at the nerve. Sometimes our injuries are severe and more time or surgical intervention is needed, but you will get better, just keep doing the best you can each day.

• Posted

it gets better, stay encouraged as time and months goes by the ankle will heal. continue with hour rehab and strength excercises thats the best that you can do for your ankle. don't get satisfied with just walking. join a fitness gym and get after it. everyone is different because of age and other factors but put the time in and you will be fine

• Posted

orif surgery 2 plates 8 screws july 21, 2017.. running 3-4 miles 3 times a week 49yrs old and strength excercises.

• Posted

thanks for the encouragement!! i want to not only walk, but i want to wear my wedge heels again 😃

• Posted

Hi there, do you remember how long you limped? I am about 14 weeks post op and still limping. 2 plates, 13 screws. I wonder if those plates are limiting. Did you have your plates removed?

Glad to hear you're running! 😃

• Posted

Hi Missy,

I had a pilon fx (bimalleolar) on 8/16/18, surgery on 8/22/18. 2 plates and 13 screws. Yes, I do feel those plates. Not so much the lateral one as much as the medial. It feels like a sharp pain that lasts a few seconds and it happens a few times a day. Very annoying. It is bothersome when I'm doing stretches also. They suggested those plates eventually come out, which I will probably have done. I also have swelling which seems to be worse by the end of the day. My surgeon did put me on something to help with that. Did you break both bones? Are you able to drive?

Hope you're feeling better soon. Muna

• Posted

i had a trimalleolar fracture, and yes i am driving. what are you taking for the swelling? i come home from work, and i can barely walk.

i know this heeling will take time.

thanks for encouragement

missy

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're still having a difficult time. Are you able to elevate your foot at work? I know it's easier said than done. I take Celebrex once a day for swelling (and it helps with pain).

• Posted

my doctor recommended that i leave the plates in ,unless they started giving me problems. i do want to remind you guys that ankle recovery takes time, it doesn't happen over night . everyones recovery is different. 14 weeks is not alot of time for recovery. the ankle has to be strenghten. it takes months to up to a year for the ankle to recover completely and it takes work trust me.be patient and put in the work.

• Posted

my doc recommends leaving the plates in too.. but your right, healing takes time.

i fell in the bathroom, my head inches away from tub. in many ways, im lucky i didnt slam my head on it.

a broken ankle is better than dead.

a tiny silver lining lol

missy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.