update on scary colonscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just found out after finally getting a hold of a live person that not only did I stop breathing once it happened twice!!!!!--(she was reading from the dr notes that I will getting a copy of)

granted it was for less then 60 seconds each time and according to the dr  when he talked to my hubby that it was just a few seconds

but to find out you stopped breathing not only once but twice is unsettling

but in checking the test results it says the polylp was 0.1cm and "there is no high  grade dysplasia or malignancy"

so Im taking it that its good news!!

now m really forward to finding out what happened to me while I was under

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That is terrible when we only get recordings not helpful and glad you  finally talked to someone to give you results . The results sound good and they remove the pylops as they go and no issues with them is great.

How in the world did you find out you stopped breathing ? That should have been addressed before you went home ,just kept you hanging is a bit unnerving.

Keep posting on the reasons for the breathing issue.  I'm worried too! I have this every 3 years, UHG! 

• Posted

thanks for the supportive reply

the dr told my hubby about the breathing while we were in recovery- but he only told him I stopped breathing  but not that it happened twice---I told them at the hospital that I wanted my hubby to be the last person I see before I go out and the first when I come too--they wouldnt do the before I went out but he was there when I came too--but I didnt know the dr was there too--

Hopefully Ill the notes tomorrow--Ill be sure to respond back

thanks again and take care

• Posted

Hi dznypal, I would keep a copy of these records. It is possible you had a reaction to the propofal, or whichever sedation they used. This happened to a friend of mine. Please follow through, and congratulations, on a good result. I am sorry you have a worry now about sedation. ((hugs))

Madison

• Posted

for sure Im have a folder from when I had surgery 6 years ago so now Ill keep all of this there--one thing I forgot to mention is I kept moving so the dr had to keep giving more sedation--which wasnt working--so he increasing it--until I guess thats when I stopped breathing--my hubby told our adult kids what happened as soon as he told our son they had to give me narcan he said ol lord mom OD--hes a police officer and he has to carry narcan with him

the drugs they gave me were fentanyl 2ml and versed 10mg-- and benadryl I had both the fentanyl and versed the last time I had this done--but it was 2mg of each--now this versed seems like a large dose

but I did some research and the narcan was listed use for and overdose of fentanyl and fluamzail (something like that ) is used for versed overdose

Ill be looking forward to seeing what I ODed on--when the dr was talking to my hubby he said the dr looked a little frazzled--

thanks for listening--hopefully Ill get the notes tomorrow

• Posted

Yes, please if you can update us. We all share in undergoing these treatments, and the information, I think is so helpful. So thank you for sharing. Due to my endoscopy being cancelled for now ( bite block impossible with my broken tooth) I am back to my FAV. Doctor, who will be doing my colonoscopy next Wed. He gives Propofal, and in all my last experiences, I get along fine with it. The versid, ( spelling?) and demoral? Makes me chatty! Lol.

I am truly sorry you went through this. It is good and not so good, as in thank goodness you know, but I think when we just think about stopping breathing it IS scary! Have you ever had the propofal? If you do not mind me asking.

• Posted

oh no I dont mind any questions--if it can help any one else--ask away

no I have never had profpral Ive only had the fentanyl and versed--and up until now never had a problem with either one--as a matter of fact when I had surgery a few years ago--I was freaking out so bad (this was for cancer so I was freaked out from the beginning) the anethsiaest was trying so hard to calm me down by talking gently and finally she told my hubby this isnt working so she gave me versed which worked almost immidently hubby said he never saw anything work so fast on anyone!!

we havent gotten our mail yet hopefully the notes will be in the mail--Ill for sure let you all know what happened

thanks again for the support

take care

• Posted

Thank you too! It really does help to hear each other's stories. ? I hope the mail comes soon for you.

• Posted

well I finally got the notes--it only took a week--mainly they didnt have the right address--they put an extra number in between the first 2 and last 2 sets of numbers

anyways the meds that they 10 mg versed------50mg bendryl-----and 200mcg of fentanyl----0.2 of narcan for the  overdose---there was nothing in there about what med cause the OD the whole ordeal took only 26 minutes which I guess is pretty adverage----it did say though that I had 2 brief episodes in which 2 sats dropped into the 60's and thats when they gave me the narcan---

I had to laugh they said the procedure was not difficult--well on my end it was difficult since I stopped breathing which shouldnt have happened

then it said the patient was deemed stable for the procedure--ok Im freaking out--having a meltdown and thats stable

I told my husband good luck getting me in for another in 5 years--I really dont think I could do this again

on a good note the polyp was nothing--

but his deal was doomed from the start--and just kept getting worse and worse--at least like I said the polyp was nothing

thanks so much for the advice and support--good luck to all of you having this done soon

take care

• Posted

Glad your polyp was nothing.  Is there a medical reason why you might need another one in 5 years, or is it just a standard well-woman test?  Here in the UK the well- person test is stool sample, then further testing if blood is found.  There other alternatives, like a CT scan and hopefully in 5 years time, swallow the camera and retrieve at the other end!  You can only ask, particularly if you're paying for the privilege.

• Posted

yes here in the states if you have a history of polyps you need a colonscopy every 5 years--otherwise it would be 10 years--unfortunalty Ive had 1 polyp each of the 2 colonscopies Ive had--

to tell you the truth after what happened to me last time I dont know if I can even get myself to go back in 5 years

I sure dont want to go through that again--what would have happened if they couldnt get me breathing again

Id be gone

thanks for the support

• Posted

Drat - that's a problem, as they do need to do the colonoscopy to remove the polyps.  The problem is that long term polyps can turn cancerous and do need to come out.  All I can suggest is a different doctor and a very long discussion about your health issues first.  Hang on to all the documentation.  Here in the UK sometimes all you get is gas and air, like giving birth, and you are fully conscious the whole time, but of course it can then be excruciatingly painful.  Are you prepared to do something like that rather than risk the sedation?   A terrible choice, I know.  But enjoy the next few years anyway.

• Posted

I am clean as clean can be my colonoscopy 8 in the morning. Wish me luck. Scared cause cologuard test was posi😧tive! If our polyps are pre cancerous?my doctor makes us go every 3 years. A clean test? We go every 5. Maybe overkill but I feel reassured.

• Posted

an interesting twist to my scary colonscopy--we got home the other day and there was a message on the machine to call this number about my colonscopy--since I already the the dr notes and report I wasnt worried about the result but I was worried about it being some kind of scam--the person didnt give a name--so I had hubby call the phone rang a few times and then went back to dial tone--hubby then called the hospital where I had it done--she said she could understand our concerns about who this person was--the number we were t o call back to was a number the dr uses when he needs orther dr to call him back--

I wasnt going to call again as there really was no need to--I got the dr notes and results so several hours later the phone rings and its from the same number we answered it only to find out its the dr that did the test --he wanted to talk to me and felt so bad cause he just got the message on his desk as he was on vacation-I had the test march 23 and he called on around april 17

so felt bad it took so long for him to call back but in al honesty I wasnt for a call back

anyways I did get to ask my questions though--he explained I didnt really stop breathing its that my breathing wnet down to under 60 when it should be around 90 which is where the narcan came in so that part made me feel a bit better--so I dont know what he exactly told my hubby that I stopped breathing

I asked since I get so freaked out if I should ask for something to relax me before hand--he said no next time (if there will be a next time--I dont know if I can put myself though that again)  next time hes going to give me something different hubby said it sounded like met---something I was thinking propfol 

anyways I thought it was very nice of the dr to make sure he got a hold of me--he knew how freaked out I was 

the one thing though got me rather  upset is he told hubby(I was having a hard time understanding him so I had hubby talk to him

is he said the polyp was pre cancerous--yet the report said ther is no high grade dysplasia or malignancy

so I thought that was good news--

• Posted

Sounds like you did not have a very good doctor who knew what they where doing and it sounds like you have heart condition causing not to wake up from that in my opinion I would suggest going and getting a heart scan or a stress test done to see for sure what the cause of that normally colonoscopy's you have no issues on that they just put you too sleep for 20-30 minutes and then your done and yes you have side effects after pain and discomfort but it is worth it too see if you have cancer or not yes it's scary but we all have to have the procedure done it would be nice if technology would come out with a newer test than this one where we all don't have to be put to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.