Update on the vomiting with TN

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, it seems as though I am one of the truly unlucky people who not only have TN, and bilaterally at that, but I also have migraines at the same time 😢. I have had migraines for decades but these puppies are monstrous. Full on weak and feebles, drenched in cold sweat, vomiting and pain. It's not like the pain of TN is enough to contend with! Anyway, I did some research and there are a few articles describing exactly what I experience - TN then a few hours respite followed by the migraine and swiftly followed by several days of TN on and off the whole time. So I spoke to my GP and showed him the article that gave the most details and suggestions for treatment and he started me on Gabapentin to try and prevent the migraines. 😁. Hopefully, I will get a good result. Then it will just be the TN to contend with 😅😅. I have to laugh or it's the razor blades next (joking, I'm made of sterner stuff than that 💪💪!). Anyway, feeling better today so will crack on with life as best I can.

Chins up everyone, life is good!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I took Gabapentin on and off for about 6 years. I have TN and it helped with the horrible pain.

I have had MVD IN JUNE 2017, currently I am off meds. & for the most part pain free only occasional small shocks when triggered.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I must admit that I am hoping that the gabapentin helps with both!

I will keep you posted.

X

• Posted

HI Susan - the good news is the gabapentin may help the tn. It helped me for a long time and for me, it had minimal side effects.

Good luck and be well!

jeej

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and support (everyone who replied 😊). I am hoping for a good outcome.

X

• Posted

Susan you have a great outlook (that helps alot! I also try to have one) When I read your comment I was so surprised because it sounds exactly like what I've been going through. I've had TN for almost 20 years. I have terrible burning pain in my upper right gum area and numbness on the whole right side of my head. If that's not bad enough, the past year I've started having migraines too. They're so bad that I vomit. So you're not alone. I took gabapentin for years and then about 10 years ago I started taking Lyrica (pregabalin) and it was like a miracle it worked so well! However, it hasn't been working as well lately so my dosage keeps going up. Im hoping and praying new treatments keep coming out because the surgical procedures are mainly for sharp shooting pain and not burning pain. Until then, I'll keep plugging along and enjoying the 'good days'. I just wanted to let you know about the lyrica option if the gabapentin quits working. (Sumatriptan has helped with the migraines)

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you, it's not good for you, but I soo glad I'm not alone 😁!! I'll try and find the information and will send you a private message with the details.

My GP is brilliant and has been very supportive and proactive. I did try sumatriptan but could never get the timing right. In the article it recommends prevention rather than treatment for migraines. So, we shall see.

X

• Posted

P. S I get the full works with the TN...... electric shocks, burning, stabbing, hammer whacks, pickaxe in the skull.... it's truly hideous. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, although.......... I have a list.... 🤔

X

• Posted

I am on beater blocks for my migraine on top of my TN MEDS and it helps stop migraine coming. good luck

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I suspect beta blockers may be on the horizon, hopefully the gabapentin will be effective.

X

• Posted

I take gabapentin at the same time with the

Oxcar

you need amitriptyline for the migraines headaches talk to ur Neurolgist about these drugs.

God Bless Us And Keep Us And Give Us Peace

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you, I am currently taking 1400mg carbamazepine per day in divided doses, 70mg Amitriptyline in divided doses (not the usual regime but I have read articles which actually suggest that divided doses work better in TN, just can't remember where! My GP suggested this) and a couple of weeks ago I started gabapentin (still working up to an effective dose). The neurologist is aware of the meds with the exception of gabapentin. If it does not help I suspect my GP will re-refer me. I also have a pharmacy stashed in various places to help me with any attacks which escape the effects of the drugs 😜😉!

Best wishes 😊

• Posted

Hi, Guys,

So, since starting the Gabapentin I have had far fewer episodes of TN from day to day and a couple of big attacks which have been shorter in duration. And the good news is.......... Drum roll.................................

No migraine, well, I did get a touch of the weak and feebles and some minimal vomiting but no migraine pain. Yay!!!

So, it's looking like a promising outcome 😊, long way to go yet, though.

Wishing you all the best 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.