Update: Six weeks post op (TKR) #2

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am six weeks post op with KNEE #2. (Knee #1 is twenty-nine weeks post op)

Just got discharged from my surgeon today following my six week check-up with knee #2! I do not need to see him until next October!

Things are going very well now that I have BOTH KNEES fixed. Balance is very good, minimal pain at places where I was reassembled, and increasing strength, straightening and bend thanks to my continued physical therapy sessions.

To anyone living with awful pain due to osteoarthritis...Get it checked out! Get X-RAYS, and don't be afraid of the surgery! Sure there is some pain and discomfort, but without surgery the PAIN just gets WORSE. WITH surgery there is a very good chance that you will have a good chance at a life without all that terrible pain all the time.

There is a recovery period, of course, but surgery when indicated will offer relief.

I wish I would have gone back sooner. I wasted several years thinking that I wouldn't be bad enough off to be a candidate for replacements. I was WRONG!

I lived many years in pain when I COULD HAVE had my problems solved with knee replacements!

Here's to everyone recovering from knee replacements and to those contemplating them.

For me, they are giving me my life back, and for that I am incredibly grateful. I thanked my surgeon today for my new knees. It is nice to have a new beginning.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Couldn't agree with you more have had my left knee done waiting for a date to have right knee done can't wait the pain is so bad x
    • Posted

I was as ready as you are for #2 knee! The PAIN was really holding me back from being able to appreciate the progress/ success of #1. Having one done and stable was a stark comparison to the one NOT YET DONE!

I hope you get your date for #2 very soon!

• Posted

So good to hear your progress. Wishing you a speedy appointment for your second. I am still waiting for my first in December and I was lucky to be able to book my second in March. Good to know that next summer and fall will be better for me. It is so encouraging to hear you post how good your knee feels at that stage. I hope that your next surgery will be booked soon
  • Posted

Thank you Cheryl for your progress report. It is so very good to hear. I hope you continue to do well
    • Posted

Thanks so much!

Tonight at Walmart my husband and I walked the whole store. Neither of my knees were hurting...even after a couple hours of WALKING and standing.

BEFORE my surgeries my knees would start hurting by the time I walked in from the car!

This was SO EXCITING because it was a very measurable piece of progress for me.

I hope to get strong enough to resume my walking in the springtime. I really have missed that!

Wishing you much success as YOU progress, too!

• Posted

That is awesome to hear. I hope you continue to improve and are able to get back to normal activities.

Bev

• Posted

Hi Cheryl - that's great news! Glad you feel so much better. I am 20 days post PKR, but I could not walk for a month ahead of the surgery. In PT I see people with both knees replaced and I wondered how they did it or why? Is it because you had such a great outcome from the first surgery? There is one patient in pt who had both knees done at same time. That seems crazy to me
    • Posted

Hi Sandy!

Both of my knees were equally damaged by arthritis...BONE-ON-BONE, no cartilage, LOTS of PAIN. My surgeon showed me my X-RAYS. Both knees needed to be replaced. He only does ONE KNEE at a time, so we needed to plan two surgeries about four months apart.

I couldn't wait to have my second knee done! It was holding me back because it was in such bad shape compared to my new knee.

I am now six weeks post op with my second knee and twenty-one weeks post op from my first. I am pretty much able to do everything that I did before all my pain began years ago. I am very grateful that my surgeries went so well.

I really got my life back!

I hope you will continue to recover well and will soon feel much better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.