Update time - operation done!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Thought I'd post a bit of an update.

Had my op last Wednesday to remove the last part of my large bowel which was remaining (had my colon removed about 5 yrs ago).

This op was to remove the rectum and anus as I now have a permanent lie stormy! Not as bad as it sounds as the proctitis was hell!!!

Op lasted a couple of hours and went went...now in the recovery stage waiting for discharge. Incision on my stomach is very neat and clean with very little discomfort. My old friend the stoma is actually in the same place as my last one so no new scars.

Stoma working normally now and I'm emptying about 4 times a day...pure luxury after 15-20 BM a day with extreme urgency!!! I have slept a whole night for the first time since I had my reversal. biggrin

The wound round my bum isn't being so helpful and this is giving me pain and keeping me in hospital...but this is easing and I hope to be home in the next day or 2.

Best thing I've done!!! Feel human again, even with the bag, getting sleep, not in pain (the kind I had with the proctitis) and not living in the toilet!!! Walking about the ward, showering and feeling like I've been born again!

some may be dreading or avoiding this stage, but for me the relief and sheer luxury of feeling normal again is amazing!!!

Already planning getting fit, running, cycling, bagging more Munro's, holidaying and living a life not glued to a toilet or worrying where I'll find the next toilet!

Bring it on!!! Totally colitis free with only a very minor inconvenience in a stoma bag which stops nothing and as long as you've accepted it in your head!!!

Embrace it, accept it and live!!! )

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your post it's very inspirational I really want to do op as sick of all the toxic meds currently on Mercaptopurine and now have a lovely itchy rash and hair falling out past months sick of it all

What hospital did you get it all done?

I'm glad your doing well and positive x

• Posted

forgot about the numerous meds point!!! Yet another positive!

I live in Lincs, so was done as a planned op at the pretty small Grantham Hospital.

thanks for the wishes and good luck! 

• Posted

That's great Jon, so good to hear how positive you are being. I am just 4 weeks ahead of you, sleep is just amazing!!!! My bump wound gave me a bit if jip too, but all okay now. Going back to work soon. You are right, once you get the stoma in the right place in your head it really just makes sense to do it. How many Munro's have you done? Good luck getting another!

Alison

• Posted

Only in singles figures at the moment for the munro's as the colitis paused them...another couple to go to reach double figures and might have a crack at these this year!

Spot on though! It's the head that drives the acceptance...and to top it off no more nasty meds required!

• Posted

Well done, I hope it works out the way you hope.
    • Posted

Thanks Sheila it's already worked the way I wanted. Emptied the bag 3 times only today, no breaks in sleep at night, no pain, no drugs and no chance of it or any pouchitis coming back to bite me.

100% positive. 

• Posted

Hi Jon

So happy to hear the op went well you seem it such good spirits and with your positive attitude it's the way forward👏 I felt the same when I had my op sleeping and pain free you don't realise how deprived you are of it when your ill your message made me smile and you are a true inspiration.I wish you all the best for your future here's to health and happiness take care Rachelle X

• Posted

Just seen this. So glad its all gone so well for you John. You are finally where you wanted to be. Best Wishes x
    • Posted

Thanks, I'm where I wanted to be to get rid of the awful condition. It was my only option. 

Recovering but got a secondary infection so opened wound needs dressing each day which is slowing me down a little...

• Posted

hi john sorry to hear you have another infection. Hows your stoma is it nice and neat? how are you finding the bag? I find sensura mio the best but there are so many. I have my first op on the 27th so getting more nervous each day.... hope you feel better soon. carly.
    • Posted

Thanks Carly! Seems to be more and more common for these secondary infections. 

They actually removed the old scar where I had my first stoma and located it here so it is pretty neat. The incision on my stomach is the best! Staples out 10 days after and very neat and clean, it's the other wound that's causing the issue on my ass wink

Having it for the second time has made it pretty straight forward, not phased by it and my heads in the right place for it this time. I'm using the sensura mil, apparently Ted Baker helped design them or so I was told by the stoma nurse. No leaks and it's all behaving pretty good. Probably empty it 4 times daily at my convenience so a huge difference from before. Also managed a couple of nights of unbroken sleep - pure luxury after what I was used to!!! On antibiotics for the infect at the mo, plus weaning off the steroids so by the middle of April I'll be completely medication free. 

I am feeling better, more frustrated now that I can't get about very easily because of the wound, saying that it's probably good for me or I would probably be overdoing it.

I wasnt nervous at all, was really looking forward to it, but I can understand where you're coming from. I'm sure it'll all go well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and let me know how it all goes!?

look after yourself, stay positive and strong and it'll all be good...

John x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.